JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I've seen a fair amount of cantilever mounting options for AR platforms - are they useful for other rifle platforms?

When would you want one for a full scope (rather than a red dot optic) on a non-AR rifle?

I have a Tikka C3x CTR (308) en route, and am looking for options to mount a scope.

How would I know what to look for in terms of scope mounting options?

Thanks in advance

Most of those cantilever mounts are specific to the AR and would put the scope way too high on that tikka. Rule of thumb on a bolt gun is to mount scope ias low as possible to promote proper cheek weld. With the picatinny rail on that tikka you should be able to find a scope/ring combo that works well unless you are trying to use a scout scope?

Tika will use their Tika rings.
Height dependent on scope objective.
Low as possible but comfortable for proper cheek weld.

Tika will use their Tika rings.
Height dependent on scope objective.
Low as possible but comfortable for proper cheek weld.

Must I use Tikka rings, or are there other options?
What scope will you be mounting? We would be able to give some ring height direction if we knew the scope particulars.

Hi, I picked up a Nikon FX-1000 4-16x50 at a really good price. I know Nikon isn't making scopes anymore, but I figure the company itself isn't going anywhere and they'll honor the warranty, and several people I talked to said that a scope of this quality for ~$400 was an absolute steal.

As it's my first scope, I'm hoping I did pretty well for a scope that I'd like to use while learning to hunt as well as for general purpose and longer range shooting to develop my skills with the Tikka.

Do you agree?

Must I use Tikka rings, or are there other options?
If I remember correctly, Tika has some proprietary bases depending on the model. It allows them to keep a low profile etc.
You'd have to specify which bases you have. Either way that answer is out of my wheelhouse.

Cantilevered mounts are only good for rifles where the rail is too close to your head and does not allow enough eye relief for the scope with standard rings. The lowest is about 1.25" from the top of rail to scope centerline. Many are 1.5".

You will want standard rings for your rifle.

The comb of my Ruger Precision Rifle is pretty much in line with the bore (meant to say top of the receiver minus the picatinny height) - just as an M16A3. I replaced the OEM stock with a Magpul UBR. Cantilever mount works great for that application. Am using a 34mm dia scope tube with burris cantilever mount.

Last Edited:
I didn't appreciate the looks of the OEM stock. So long as I get the scope height correct... I don't see the need for an adjustable comb. Love the rigidity Magpul UBR provides. The cantilever mount from Burris positions the Burris scope right where I need it, both in height and for eye relief.

rpr.jpg

I hope this doesn't come across as a "post hijacking" but I put together a spreadsheet a few years ago when I was trying to evaluate which cantilevers would suit my needs. Its in excel but had to convert to this image due to NWFirearms limits on file extensions.

scope height.PNG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads