Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can't find Vihtavuori in Salem

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by taylor, Jan 12, 2012.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Is it not imported anymore? where can I find it in Salem?

2. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

never heard of it, what is it? liqour?

3. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Never seen any Vihtavuori sold locally. I am curious what might pop up here. Finnish make good powder i'd love to use but can't get over them hazmat fees.

4. civilian75

5. sprocket3

sprocket3 Oregon - Wet Side Member

Wholesale sports had a few flavors if I recall. That was months ago though. It was after I gave up trying to find it. It was on the top shelf and not too easy to spot so you might have missed it even if it was there.

6. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

i had never heard of it before, havent loaded anything in a while. use mostly IMR

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

been reloading since I was 11.(I'm 54) Never heard of it before. And I don't see it in any of my 5 different reloading manuals. Must be out of my league.

Interesting that all the powder links on that page the OP linked to are dead ends. At 32.00 a lb I doubt I'll be looking into it.

8. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

This is the only place I have ever seen it on a shelf. They are open four days a week, I recall.

Shooters Service Center‎
    8242 North Lombard Street
    Portland, OR 97203-3102

9. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Try Mick at MLC Exotic Class III. He's on this forum as a vendor---NICE guy with some neat stuff. he has Dillon
    goodies and Viht powder on the shelf.

Which VV powder are you looking for?

10. oasis618

oasis618 Tacoma, Wa Active Member

It sounds like a coven of vampires. :devil:

11. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Went to Wholesale sports and the whole shelf that previously had a wide variety was empty. Then I went to Bi-mart which also had some and goose egg there too.
    For you guys that never heard of it, Vihtavuori makes some of the cleanest burning,accurate powders available. Its imported from Finland. When you see N130, N340, N320 etc. in a loading manual they're referring to Vihtavuori.

12. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

I've only seen it once in Salem (at Wholesale Sports) and I bought it, never seen it since. It's so hard to find both locally and online that I've switched to Titegroup for my pistol loads.

13. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

OK I learned something never paid attention to the N powders in my books. but at 32+ a lb I doubt I will ever find the need to anyway.

14. Abiqua

It's expensive but it's also extremely clean and quiet, great for silencer loads.

15. civilian75

And low flash, too!! ... for those who care. :)

16. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Hazmat fees are no big deal if you buy more than 1# at a time. I buy my primers and powder from Powder Valley. What I save on a couple boxes of primers pays the hazmat fee. Powder too is mucho cheaper. An 8# jug of Varget sells for amost $50 more locally than from Powder Valley.

My last "Powder and Primer" order from Powder Valley was a maxed out shipment, weight wise. The "Hazmat" fee amounted to less than $0.50 per pound of powder or box (1,000) primers.

17. Matt Selders

Matt Selders Vancouver, Washington Member

We do carry VIT at Wholesale. Just give us a call first. VIT N320 1 lb is what we primarily carry. Salem is out but we can do a phone arder and ship it to you from any of our US locations. There is a HAZMAT fee to ship it. Or you can wait till they get it back in in Salem. We usually have it in stock. Salem has been out of it for some time, so I expect to see it in again soon.

Matt Selders

18. Abiqua

Big +1 for Powder Valley. I just ordered a boatload of large pistol primers for $15.50/k versus $34.90/k at Bi-Mart or $39.90 at Wholesale. Doesn't take that many boxes of primers or pounds of powder to more than make up the HazMat and shipping. If you're not into placing a big order for yourself, get a couple of friends together and make a group order.

19. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

I'm pretty sure Bright water ventures had some last time I was in there.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

20. Matt Selders

Matt Selders Vancouver, Washington Member

Wholesale can and will match Bi-marts price on pretty much anything. You are right though, we are higher on primers, for now. We are working on that. Powder Valley has killer prices. I don't know how they do it. I am trying to figure out how they do it. That much difference in pricing is not usual on any retail product.