JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
True, but you can buy it most any grocery store, or BiMart, or Lowes/HomeDepot.
Just google "natural lump charcoal." It's not pressed briquets, it's actually chunks of wood charcoal.
Our local Safeway, as well as Roth's carries it made from Mesquite, and Hickory too I believe.

Its hard to get a Charcoal fire hot enough for welding. Coke works MUCH better and is cleaner.

Take the drive and buy what you need unless you can talk them into pouring some in a flat rate box and mailing it LOL.

You have to ask yourself, is this hobby worth all the trouble? I come up with all sorts of excuses when I pursue mine. Try running an ad on Craigslist or some other forum and see if you can share some of the expense. Who knows, there may be a market in your area.

The hobby blacksmith in my old neighborhood used wood charcoal exclusively.
He had a blower made from an old blow-dryer and made everything from froes and axe heads, to hinges, latches and tongs.
He repaired a number of pieces of antique farm implements too, sometimes forge-welding stuff back together.

It was fun to just watch him work, and he made it look so easy.

thanks jamie that did the trick Photo0361.jpg

Photo0361.jpg

Used to be a company in Tacoma called Star Fuel and Ice. I still see their trucks don't know if they still sell coal. In the Black Diamond area is Palmer Coking Coal company. Want to dig you own head for Selleck, Kanasket, Palmer, Bain, Cumberland, Wilkerson, Carbonado areas. Also their used to be a company listed in Seattle but in White Center. Roslyn, Cle Elum the stuff is all over in the Northwest.

thanks gunwheeler was making a knife as gift to grandson ... i bought natural charcoal from target it got the temp up high enough to forge with.

You might try checking with some of the local SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) or Rendezvous re-enactors around that area. I know the SCA has quite a few smiths and if they don't know of a local source, then maybe you can buy some off of them or go in for a group purchase the next time someone needs to restock.

elsie

That is so cool! Good start, and a nice shape for all-around use, and should be good for skinning as well.

Please keep us updated on your progress, this is something that would be really fun to try IMO.

Skills like that are a key component to "prepping" too.
I hope the SHTF folks are paying attention.

My Grandfather was a blacksmith. I used to watch him when I could, he made working with iron look so simple. Did I ever get a education when I built my first forge! Coal was a short 30 mile drive away and I would buy 200 lbs at a time. Where I live now I use Propane, cost more but I don't do much blacksmith work any more.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top