Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can't afford good expensive packs..made my own!

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by CamoDeafie, Oct 15, 2014.

1. CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie Albany Well-Known Member

Couldn't justify ordering a Snugpak Endurance 40 pack since it doesn't have a frame or removable suspension that I could see; so I decided to buy 2 yards of 430D Nylon Packcloth (same material as ALICE fabric) in Olive Drab and lots of webbing and hardware....laid out the fabric, drew the patterns for the various components....most difficult part was just sewing the divider in the main pack body....

it is roughly 55 and a half Liters, and took me 3-4 hours just to make it..In hindsight, it probably would be worth buying an existing pack and modifying it....
    Specs;
    Upper Main compartment; 12"x9"x13"; 23 Liters roughly
    Lower Main compartment; 12"x9"x9"; 16 Liters roughly
    Upper Side tunnel sewn pouches; 9"x11"x4" 6.5 Liters roughly
    Lower Side tunnel sewn pouches; 5"x5"x3" (deeper than standard 5x5 pouches) 1.1 Liters roughly
    Webbing on sides for LC gear
    Mounts via Ladderlocs and 1" straps
    Compatible with ALICE and Civilian Hiking packs, presumably also compatible with MOLLE frames of both 1603 and 1606AC types, but not compatible with the 1609 frame, At least I don't think so...
    PICS!
    DSCN2131_zps40d50e59.jpg
    On the Large Hiking frame

DSCN2132_zpsf8380422.jpg
    Quarter view showing side pouches and canteen cover

DSCN2134_zpse19051ca.jpg
    Top mounting system

DSCN2135_zps38d709a1.jpg
    Bottom of pack; I might add an U shaped panel with elastic edge to cover the inside.....

DSCN2136_zps74a99653.jpg
    Drawstring panel on bottom

DSCN2133_zps0f4ae384.jpg
    Webbing on sides for canteens or LC pouches

DSCN2137_zps9ef7ff63.jpg
    Large upper side pouch; same size as MOLLE Sustainment pouch, but with two buckles instead of one

on ALICE frame, this is the reason for the specific measurement of the top and bottom attachment points; 18" from ladderloc to ladderloc...and 4" apart

DSCN2143_zpsd63e963e.jpg
    showing much shorter frame

DSCN2142_zps192a4746.jpg
    showing frame and stock ALICE suspension.

DSCN2141_zps32324d42.jpg
    top corner mounts

DSCN2140_zpseb6962c3.jpg
    Bottom corner mounts; uses same hole as the standard ALICE pack

DSCN2139_zpsdffd56a7.jpg
    Bottom mounts; uses the slots of the ALICE frame; there's enough strapping to lash other things between flap and straps.

Well there you go! Hope you guys enjoyed it! It will go on a trip pretty soon and depending on how it feels, I might do some more work on it, or leave it as is...

As to what it has to do with Survival and Preparedness....sometimes you can't just buy something you need for your gear; so you scavenge fabrics and equipment to make your own gear... This pack is inspired by the British Bergen pack designs but in modern lightweight materials and with an external frame as opposed to internal frame;
    I am considering finding a working treadle cabinet/table for my 1920s? Singer 99 sewing machine so that I can sew without needing electricity (good practice for survival situations....also a good way to get paid/barter when people inevitably need to have something sewn/repaired. In short, it is a marketable skill and a very useful skill to know for situations, along with the skill to fix anything, everything, gunsmithing, automotive, scavenging. Also; this pack replaces my Hellcat pack I just sold.

2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Looks good, great job!:D

Johnnyc1 and CamoDeafie like this.
  3. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

That's really cool. Looks great too!

CamoDeafie likes this.
  4. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

NICE LOOKING PACKS. Good Job :)

CamoDeafie likes this.
  5. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Holy Tactical Tailor Batman!:)

CamoDeafie likes this.
  6. CamoDeafie

I'd like to work for that company someday..... :) or London Bridge Trading Company.... preferably TT as they're in the NW (Although this pack design would definitely be taken off the market for a while if I work for TT due to competition clause in contract, and things of that sort, so as not to interfere with their current MALICE pack business... :rolleyes: )

7. Windsor

Windsor Myrtle Creek OR Active Member

Nice pack. Makes me miss being able to do ruck marches.

CamoDeafie likes this.
  8. LoneStar

LoneStar WA Active Member

Those look well made. I bet they will hold up better than the made in china crap.

Riot and CamoDeafie like this.
  9. CamoDeafie

thanks! I'm not sure where the store got the fabric from though, but yes I try to match the quality of the ALICE and MOLLE equipment :)

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Well done, and I can relate to the satisfaction of conceiving, designing, and building/fabricating something from scratch. Not a lot of folks are willing or capable of doing that.

That being said, is there a reason a fully kitted surplus large ALICE rucksack and frame wouldn't have sufficed? They came in small, medium, and large. The small and medium could also be used w/o the frame.

CamoDeafie likes this.
  11. CamoDeafie

well I couldn't find a Large locally for the price that justified buying it...though I used to have one and found it to not be what I was looking for. The pack I made...its more useful for me for its size because I can use the compartments for more than just canteens or food. The bottom is for either sleeping bag or hammock set up and the top is just clothes while th6e two large pouches are for foods and extra water and misc items..the two small pouches are first aid kit and tarp plus fire starting kit with esbit folding stove...while canteen covers holds canteens and cups. This set up on a more comfortable hiking frame with the modified shoulder straps and belt is far more comfortable than the stock medium ALICE with Frame and original suspension system.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

IC... you did a stellar job!

CamoDeafie likes this.