JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So long story shortened. My Mom is organizing a sale for the Silverton Senior Center. I go down to help sort piles of tools and man toys junk. I end up working for 5 hours. And after buying what I wanted. The ladies asked me if I would take the Cannon!

CANNON what CANNON

so they show me this:

Cannonsideview_zpsbe087a57.jpg
Cannonmuzzleview_zpsd893115c.jpg

Thats a 1.8" approx Bore. the bore is 28" long/deep to give you an idea of the scale of the thing.

Now thats not a very heavy wall on that thing so I assume it was never used with a lot of powder and was mostly used to make noise rather then stop a cavalry charge.

My question is are there any actual knowledgeable Cannon guys on the site that might be willing to help me check the thing out before using it.

If it can be cleaned up (honing the bore etc) I'll build some sort of carriage for it and shoot it even if its only a 100 grain charge and light weight projectile.

If its junk I'll build a cool looking Naval type Swivel gun mount and paint it up with Hammerite and stick it in the front Yard as YARD ART.

You would have to Magna-Flux it after cleaning up the rust to determine if there where any cracks.
Does it look like it was cast or turned on a lath?

It was turned on a lathe and has been fired a bunch of times according to the gal who knew its history

A close look at the bore shows its just surface rust. If I do decide to fire it it would only be with low level charges and after I run a brake cylinder or small engine cylinder hone it until clean. Looking down the bore with a light I see no pits just color.

but again I'm not going to be the only one looking at it before its fired.

I been around Black powder firearms for 25 years and seen many home made cannons over the years. So I know to respect the BIG BANG possibilities.

Great score, I'd love to have something like that!! That has to be some sort of cannon club to help ID it, if not locally then nationally. I'd pull it out of the cradle it's in and look for some sort of ID mark?

I know a guy over in Salem that has belonged to a Civil War Re-enactors group. He is on the cannon squad.

If he can't assist he would probably know someone who can. email if you want contact information.

I've collected cannons for a lot of years and have everthing from .22 bullet size to beer can size. What you have is what is known on GBO as a "pipe bomb". It positively isn't a line gun, if you want pictures of a real one pm me. Fill the barrel with cement and use it for a yard ornament. Just because someone got away with firing it in the past doesnt mean it's safe. I don't mean to be rude about it, but things like that turn to shrapnel in a heartbeat and people get hurt. I wouldn't be anywhere near that thing if it had powder in it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top