JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

become a cannibal or die?

• cannibal

Votes: 117 59.1%
  • die

Votes: 81 40.9%

• Total voters
My mistake I thought the topic was regarding the collapse of everything, In an Andes situation its impossible to predict how anyone would react till it occurs.
If I recall in the Donner Party it was the ones who were the most vocal against it who were the first to resort to it.
As I write I can see nothing wrong in eating your dead companions to give the living the strength to go on.
Books are written about men adrift in a lifeboat drawing straws to see who gets eaten or gives up a leg. But in reality no lifeboat groups ever came down to decisions like that, I don't know if its because we had a different caliber of men than we currently have? men of consciounce who believed in God and the 10 Commandments? all I know is nowadays theres alot more coldheartedness and many who would cut your throat at the first hunger pain.

But in reality no lifeboat groups ever came down to decisions like that, I don't know if its because we had a different caliber of men than we currently have? men of consciounce who believed in God and the 10 Commandments? all I know is nowadays theres alot more coldheartedness and many who would cut your throat at the first hunger pain

Oh man...you really need to pick up the book 'In the Heart of the Sea' by Nathaniel Philbrick. We're talking God-fearing Quakers here...20 Nantucket whaling men in 1819, adrift for three months in the Pacific after their whaling ship, the Essex, was rammed and sunk by a sperm whale. 8 survived, most by eating their dead comrades. One 'eatee' was killed and eaten after drawing a short straw. Cannibalism was not unknown amongst castaways at sea. (Incidentally, the whale part of this story was the basis for Herman Melville's 'Moby Dick'.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_(whaleship)

And a better link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A671492

Interestingly, Captain Wm. Bligh (of Bounty fame) led his group of loyal castaways on the longest distance open-boat sea journey ever recorded and did not resort to cannibalism.

Keith

Last Edited:
Do you really want to live in a world thats come to that? where Society disintegrates to such a level where roving mobs stalk one another for food? I plan to take myself out and not witness it.
I've thought it out and Its my choice.
If we go into a depression like existance where we tighten our belts and values and moralty come back as a by-product of those flocking to religion, I'll tough it out , grow what I can, even if theres violence and such as long as theres rule of law.. But if its like a Road Warrior on steroids count me out.

Do me a favor and do it on my front porch.....on a cold morning. I'm all for tightening belts, and returning to old values. I do however think you've got it wrong about "old fashioned" morality. Moral behavior is conditioned, not natural. Natural behavior dictates survival and success of the fittest and smartest. Moral behavior is nothing more than what occurs when a society grows populate enough to necessitate a code of conduct, and requires certain rules to cohabitate in close proximety. Truthfully...what's the difference between defending yourself from someone who's intent is to cause you bodily harm.........and killing someone who is "innocent" in order to survive? Honestly, I don't really know the answer to that myself. I dont think I would be able to murder someone in order to eat them.....unless I already didn't like 'em, or if a loved one was starving.

Sometimes bears eat their young. The philosophy behind it is that if the mother bear dies, the cub dies anyway but if the mother bear lives, she might make another cub later. Bears are astoundingly pragmatic.

When survival is the only thing and normal morality goes out the window how far will people go? Does anyone know of any survival situation in which people ended up eating children?

I'm a father. That means, unfortunately, that I must think of more than just myself. Therefore, I'll do whatever it takes to survive and insure my son's survival...and, though I'd rather it not come down to it, I will do everything in my power to keep him fed and myself alive. Even if it means eating you.

Sometimes bears eat their young. The philosophy behind it is that if the mother bear dies, the cub dies anyway but if the mother bear lives, she might make another cub later. Bears are astoundingly pragmatic.

Male lions may kill and eat cubs that are not their own. Strangely, this attracts the deceased cub's mother to the male that killed her baby.

Spotted hyenas are born in pairs. The female cubs have fully developed jaw muscles and enormous teeth. If two females are born together, one may attack, kill and eat her sister. Oddly, a female cub will usually not bother a male.

Nature is full of cannibalism.

When survival is the only thing and normal morality goes out the window how far will people go? Does anyone know of any survival situation in which people ended up eating children?

Yes...or at least, tried :). http://ivyjoy.com/fables/hansel.html

Keith

Last Edited:
I'd find plants.
You guys messed up.

You aren't taking me, or my dead body.

There are no plants, or if there are plants, they are not edible. You are trapped on a snow covered mountain in the middle of winter on your way to California. You are sitting in a life boat with a thousand miles of sea in every direction. You are buried deep underground in a mining accident.

Nature is full of cannibalism.

Keith
Indeed, but I was talking about people. And bears. Or rather, what bears do and if humans have ever done the same.

Indeed, but I was talking about people. And bears. Or rather, what bears do and if humans have ever done the same.

Ancient Greeks would sometimes put a child in a pot and stick them outside to die of exposure. This was done for a variety of reasons, but one was if the child placed too much of a burden on the family.

I suppose if we can think it, than someone somewhere must have killed and eaten kids.

Keith

There are no plants, or if there are plants, they are not edible. You are trapped on a snow covered mountain in the middle of winter on your way to California. You are sitting in a life boat with a thousand miles of sea in every direction. You are buried deep underground in a mining accident.

There's one way to put a rhetorical question.
Apparently it's all in the context.

Whatever floats your boat! (lol) :s0155:

I'd be down for some long pig if the chips were down. Survival of the fittest :s0155: People go Oh No! and look horrified but the fact is if its death or eat your own kind, I'm gonna be eating meat.

Plants and all will only get you so far imho especially if its cold, ect.

I notice the big city guys are the ones most likely to eat each other :s0112::s0112: Guess it's because they can't go out and get their own food? Certianly the big city people will suffer the most.

The civilized world will never let a canibal live so consider it your last supper in those hard times.

jj

No vote...but this reminded me of a joke.

2 cannibals are hungry and come upon a body. They draw straws to see who gets to start at the head and which starts at the feet. Well cannibal 1 wins and starts eatting at the head while cannibal 2 starts at the feet.
A few minutes in cannibal 2 says "This tastes like S***!" and cannibal 1 tells him "Slow down, you're eatting too fast!"

:s0131:

A little BBQ sauce......tastes like chicken :s0112:
Trlsmn may have a good recipe

But in all seriousness, I think one has to do whatever it takes to survive.

I'll be publishing my "SHTF Long Pig OMGTASTYBBQ" recipe book soon, testing out the recipes has become somewhat problematic.........:s0131:

In all seriousness the better question is would you let your children starve or resort to cannibalism to feed them?

All joking aside, I believe I will stand before my Creator in the end for final judgement. I hope in that situation, I would choose to starve to death than to; at best, eat a person who had died. And at worst, kill an innocent person and eat them. Life on this planet is short, eternity is...well, eternity.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top