JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spam, Kirkland beef, Palm corned beef, Kirkland Brest chicken, and starkest albacore. Some sardines too. I try to eat and keep all it rotated. The article says it can go 5 years over expiration but I find the flavor really wanes and often becomes "tinny" tasting after about 2 years beyond expiration

Is Spam made by one company or are there many?

If many, which one is best both in taste and lasting?

Spam is made by Hormel, I'm sure other companies make similar. Just never tried any.

If you've never tried it before, it's an "acquired" taste as an adult.

Super handy for all kinds of things from sammiches (cold & hot) to stir fry, omelettes etc.

Best tried heated for your first time. Like toasted on a sandwich. Or skillet fried aside some eggs.

What are others' experience with how long canned meat lasts?

Any different for other canned food?

Thanks

30 years. Amazon.com : Mountain House Cooked Diced Beef #10 Can : Freeze Dried Food : Sports & Outdoors

30 years. Amazon.com: Mountain House Cooked Diced Chicken #10 Can: Sports & Outdoors

That's "in 30 years it will still taste good", it might be edible for 40 or 50 years with taste sacrificed. Just buy a couple and toss them in a cool place in the basement and you're done thinking about it. Might as well get some fruits and entrees as well. The stuff goes on sale occasionally, and Costco runs deals online as well.

Thanks. I do have freeze-dried stored, but I would like to add canned meat, vegetables and fruit. I was curious as to how long, generally, canned goods are good for.

Answered my own question. From University of New Mexico:

• Use canned meats and seafood within 3 years of the date on the package.
  • Use low-acid canned foods like vegetables and soup within 3 years of the date on the package.
  • Use high-acid foods like fruit, pickles and tomatoes within 2 years of the date on the package.
  • Canned fruit juices can be stored up to 1 year.
  • Foods stored longer will be safe to eat if the cans do not show signs of spoilage or damage, but the foods may deteriorate in color, flavor and nutritional value.

I have some FD meats But lately I've been acquiring SPAM along with Costco canned chicken, tuna and albacore and from BiMart I've gotten small canned hams and corned beef
Oh yeah--and sardines.

All you "shtf" (geez I tire of that term) types turning your noses up at spam would eat the south end of a northbound mule after a week without food.....just say'n.

The last flair up I had with "shtf-itis" I bought some of those canned meats & spam varieties. Last fall noted they were all curiously well beyond the 'use before' date. Was gonna try the spam.....whatever the goo is in there spooked me enough to just dump the lot.

Use canned meats and seafood within 3 years of the date on the package.

Yeah, my point was why spend money (and time) working on a canned meat stocking program where you have to continually rotate it or lose it due to spoilage, when you can buy #10 tins that will last OVER 30 years? I've been doing Costco smoked wild Alaskan Sockeye salmon halves for years. I want enough so family could crack one per month for a year in an emergency. However, it's only marked as good for 5 years, and when you bump up to that date with several at once....well, it gets old. Been doing this for @ 10 years. The price has doubled from $9.99 when I started to $18.99 as of last year. The oldest one I've eatten had been expired for 3 years, so in the package for 8 years. Tasted fine, I was nervous but I didn't get sick.

BTW, if you invite me over to a social function potluck and I drag a salmon 1/2 over, you'll know why. Gotta rotate rotate rotate.

I keep Spam and canned tuna around. But have been buying more Mountain House lately. I bought a 4-Day pack for each of my kids. They're all out of the house and trying to convince them to store emergency food is impossible. With the 4-Day pack box, they just stuck it in a corner of their apartments. It's good for 30 years. Costco has a good price on them. You can also "Google" coupon codes for Mountain House. I got a 30% off coupon on my last direct order from MH.
My wife tasted some MH food recently for the first time. She said the meat texture was funny, salty, but good flavor. She then pointed out what someone else has already said, "If you're hungry...."

Tuna
Sardines
Salmon
Chicken
That what he said. Add Jerky and most importantly, what you like. Eating to survive only gets emotionally draining and depressing. Food should be a pleasure as well as nourishing. It'll help you keep positive which is one of the very most important aspects of survival. I'd add some chocolate and peanuts while technically not meat, are rich in protein, nutrition, and taste good. I've spent a considerable amount of time in war zones where refugees are barely surviving. The one thing they will tell you the most that they crave is fruit (fresh or canned) and sweets.
Watch your backtrail.
Semper Fi
Scott

Last Edited:
...an, an, an hope you have some sorta world crushing emergency cuz if not, man oh man, you've wasted a bunch of money, time slogging up and down store aisles, checking out, gas, , transporting home, energy expended, for what?

A buncha no good now stuff.

C'mon super volcano, massive Tunguska type event, space aliens, crazed terrorists, or your mother-in-law coming to reside with you permanently - hope like crazy you've not wasted your investment in frown inducing food you normally kinda, sorta, not especially like or crave...

...an, an, an hope you have some sorta world crushing emergency cuz if not, man oh man, you've wasted a bunch of money, time slogging up and down store aisles, checking out, gas, , transporting home, energy expended, for what?

A buncha no good now stuff.

C'mon super volcano, massive Tunguska type event, space aliens, crazed terrorists, or your mother-in-law coming to reside with you permanently - hope like crazy you've not wasted your investment in frown inducing food you normally kinda, sorta, not especially like or crave...

Suppose. If you enjoy throwing $$ away.

It's easier just to buy what you enjoy, and eat it. Buy in bulk/on special etc & rotate it out. Sure on occasion some thing may get missed, but overall stocking up saves money as well as time...

YMMV tho.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top