JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't make sudden moves, show your hands, smile, be polite. It stands to reason; you don't know what kind of day that cop is having. Make it as comfortable as possible for everyone.

BULL!!! The first part of your post is common sense but I don't give a sH*t what kind of day he's having! He dosent care about my day and he works for us!!! Didn't get laid at home? The problems at home, leave it at home! I'm always cooperative with police and I expect the same courtesy. I refuse to be terrified by LEO's!

Re Comment 14 -
not trying to argue here - news stories never have the full report.
- The man was 70 years old
- Pulled over for expired tags.

What we need is the dash-cam video -- it has been turned over to the prosecutor's officce.

http://www.wltx.com/story/news/crime/2014/02/27/officer-involved-shootings-sc/5868881/

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/york-co-sheriff-deputy-involved-shooting/ndcPD/
http://www.thestate.com/2014/02/26/3293440/york-county-deputy-who-shot-driver.html
http://www.wbtw.com/story/24833263/70-year-old-man-reaching-for-cane-is-shot-during-sc-traffic-stop

I want one!

I am just getting to the point of my knee being healed enough to ditch my cane. After 2 years I have tried different ones and the only effective defensive cane I found on the market was a tazer cane. Pick it up and the end lights up and crackles loud as hell. I do not know what it would really do to someone but mine does have enough power going to it that it is equal to most hand held effective tazers. I figured it just gave me a bit of extra time to distract or taze to get my gun out. When you have one hand on a cane your draw time is hindered a lot.

I appreciate your response. It was very detailed. Unfortunately just because the government has licensed the murder of unarmed civilians by a group sworn to "serve and protect" still doesn't make it right, reasonable or justified. However I am pretty sure I am not going to sway your opinion on this matter. We could both go on and on posting precedents, regulations and debating the law, but those rarely turn out well on the internet where communication is hindered severely. So lets simply agree to disagree on the "reasonable use of force" issue.

I understand your point, really I do...but when it comes down to the aftermath, who's going to make the decision?, and what's it going to be based on?

Morality? No. What's right or wrong? No. Is this my opinion on the matter? No again.

The incident will be applied to law as it is written at the time of the incident. There's really nothing to debate. If you disagree with how the law is written, I'm okay with that. I am not defending anyone's actions in this particular incident, as there's not enough info. to side either way.

What I find most disturbing with threads like this, is that sentences are handed down before all the facts are known. The courts apply the law to the incident, they can do nothing more. Nothing in this world is perfect, but its all we have.

Assuming I'm also being stopped for expired tags, I'd keep my hands on the wheel and be respectful. If asked to get out of the vehicle, I'd close and lock the door behind me. Do not ever consent to a search and do not admit to anything even if you knew you were speeding. That is the respectful thing to do. When it's time, ask if your free to go. Again, admit to nothing and never consent to a search.

I carry in Oregon and do not automatically inform the officer of my weapon. The law does not require that I inform them. Before anyone questions that statement, it's already gone to an appellate court and ruled as I stated.

I respect the LEO if he/she is operating legally. Beyond that, let my attorney do the objecting to the legality of their actions.

My biggest problem is sometimes I have to go just 5 miles inside CA. My carry gun is illegal in CA. So before I go over the border, I put it in my locked tool box in the bed of my truck. I'd never volunteer that info.

I think the other thing we need to remember is that LEOs are just like us. They have the same percentage of criminals in their ranks as we have in society. We should also keep in mind that they are more likely to die driving to and from work than on the job. Statistics are there. I always show initial respect and expect the same in return.

It would be a good bet the dash cam was broken or just not working at the time.

Wouldn't have surprised me if it happened in Seattle, but apparently LE in Clover, SC are a little more tech-savvy and don't 'loose' hundreds of videos every year. From thestate.com:
The information Faris provided Wednesday afternoon was based on the dashboard camera video from Knox's vehicle. Faris said deputies have turned the video over to SLED.
(SLED = State Law Enforcement Division)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top