JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone attend this club and do they know if they accept new members? It seems they have a 300yard outdoor rifle range. I never knew about this club and see its not that far from Tri-County. Anyone have any comparisons of the two clubs? Seems the fees to join Canby gun club are quite low in comparison to Tri County, but I am already a member of Tri-County.

http://www.canbyrodandgun.com/

I've been a member for close to twenty years. I think there is still a waiting list and you have to do some mandatory work parties. My biggest thing is the no rapid fire rule. 1 round per second maximum, which means you can't even practice a double tap or controlled pair or whatever you want to call it...:( Darn neighbors, the club was there before your house was...

well,it's a whole lot smaller club than tri county which may be why the fees are smaller.....less upkeep and overhead.
they have a really nice clubhouse with full kitchen,after we cowboy shoot there we have a very nice pot luck brunch.
It's geared more towards being a trap club than a rifle/pistol club,but it's worth looking into it it's handy for you.

Just called them.. 3 year waiting list.. So I am scratching Canby Gun Club off the list.. I guess I will be contempt with Tri County if I have to live in PDX area again. I am happy to be in an active club like Tri County, because my COSSA club in Bend is way too empty and, being a newer shooter, I benefit from help of others. However, there is times I am sure I would like to be more alone and in the open, without those noisy concrete barriers of Tri County and that is where my COSSA range is nice. Anyone know of good open shooting areas, not infested with weirdos or methheads, that is good for shooting in that area? I know people go shooting at Eagle Creek, but I hear the area is getting sketchy. Is there any good gravel pits or shooting areas around WIlsonville, Canby, etc?

If there is a 3 year waiting list than why is it that they as a club can not seem to get more than 10 shooters for winter league? They did not even qualify for your first league shoot cause they only had 2 or 3 shooters.:s0092: Not enough shooters, 3 year waiting list and they came to us and wanted to be a part of our winter league! Sounds like they need to have open enrollment!

However, there is times I am sure I would like to be more alone and in the open, without those noisy concrete barriers of Tri County

Spend a day attending the Cowboy Shooter's safety course and gain access to the Action Range at Tri County as you are a member already.

Once approved, You can shoot in any one of the 14 action bays...alone, no hot line/cold line, yellow line or action flags, etc.
Shoot at any distance you like, from muzzle touching the target out to the total depth of the bay.

That's about as alone as it gets.
What's not to like??

Tilos

I would like to hear from members of Canby rod and gun club, I've been looking at their website, trying to figure how they compare with respect to Tri-County. What do you find good/bad about it? How late are the ranges open? Any lighted ranges for night shooting?

I am a member and love it, but there is a member cap and the waiting list is years long, sorry. There is no lighted pistol or rifle shooting, only trap shooting is lighted. 100 yard is available daily for rifles and they have 300 yard shoots every week on the same ranges. Pistol has two 50 yard ranges you can shoot from any distance as long as you are the only one on the range. In all the times I've shot there only once did I not have a pistol range to myself. If your interested my advice is go apply, then wait and forget. You'll get a call in the future and if you would still like to be a member its open, if not you can pass.

Everything DieselScout said above.

If you want to shoot tomorrow better join another club, unless you go as a Guest with a member. Great place to shoot trap for those who are into it, one does not have to be a member on Public Trap Shoots.

Tri-County's facilities is a country club compared to ours but they have a much larger membership to afford all they have to offer. It is a nicer facility with more space/lanes and offers more activities/amenities for it's membership.

However, for the price of the membership and it being 5 minutes away from the house unless I get caught by a train. I can not complain whatsoever. It is a place to shoot without spending a bunch of money on fuel and beats driving to the woods.

The Annual Meetings are always fun, lots of food to eat and plenty of booze to drink with gambling and more drinking afterwards. I would say it is a gentleman's club atmosphere of yesteryear. Millar's Tire always raffles off a rifle and/or fishing gear and at least 20 bottles of booze. The Club will usually raffle off a couple rifles, nice fishing pole/tackle and lots of other items such as cooler, knives, lanterns. The other items vary from year to year but there is a fair amount of stuff raffled off every year.

Prizes are given in all categories of game,fish and waterfowl for best entry. Skunk prizes are also given in same categories for unfilled tags.

One thing we do have that Tri-County does not is private access to a river for fishing. This has it's advantages during the summer also for swimming spots along the Molalla River instead where the herd of people usually swim.

There also is a hunting blind along the river for those that are into duck hunting. They do travel along the Molalla River quite frequently during hunting season.

We also have an outside Archery Range for bow hunters.

We do not have any Staffed Range Officers. For the most part when I go to shoot, I am either the only one there or maybe a few other people. Once it gets close to hunting season there will be more activity/use by members to sight in their gun/scope. Sometimes when the sun comes out there will be more people but it is never crowded nor does one usually have to wait for a lane during the busy times, which are pretty infrequent.

Did I mention there is plenty of opportunity to drink at the Annual Meeting?

I know there is something I am forgetting.

I will never give up my membership, only death will part me from it.

I have been on the list for 2 years and no end in sight. Maybe the economy will pick up and some of the people will get better jobs in other areas. I'm not holding my breath though.
Be patient 2-4 years is the norm, keep applying each year so your name stays on the list and moves up. If you miss reapplying one year, you got to start all over. If you did miss reapplying this year let your sponsoring member know, so they can make the correction for you.

I know it sucks but it is just the way it is. Most available spots come from members becoming a Lifetime Member, Death, moving out of the area or not paying yearly dues on time or not fulfilling their obligatory volunteer work hours in the 1st year.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top