Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Canby rod and gun club

Discussion in 'Business Discussion & Reviews' started by RifleEnthusiast, Apr 14, 2013.

1. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

I would like to hear from members of Canby rod and gun club, I've been looking at their website, trying to figure how they compare with respect to Tri-County. What do you find good/bad about it? How late are the ranges open? Any lighted ranges for night shooting?

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I am a member and love it, but there is a member cap and the waiting list is years long, sorry. There is no lighted pistol or rifle shooting, only trap shooting is lighted. 100 yard is available daily for rifles and they have 300 yard shoots every week on the same ranges. Pistol has two 50 yard ranges you can shoot from any distance as long as you are the only one on the range. In all the times I've shot there only once did I not have a pistol range to myself. If your interested my advice is go apply, then wait and forget. You'll get a call in the future and if you would still like to be a member its open, if not you can pass.

3. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

I've been looking at it since it's closer to me, but I guess if their waiting list is that long I should probably forget about it and be glad that I have a spot at Tri-County already :) Thanks for the info.

4. Colt Carbine

Colt Carbine Oregon Gears-N-Guns

Everything DieselScout said above.

If you want to shoot tomorrow better join another club, unless you go as a Guest with a member. Great place to shoot trap for those who are into it, one does not have to be a member on Public Trap Shoots.

Tri-County's facilities is a country club compared to ours but they have a much larger membership to afford all they have to offer. It is a nicer facility with more space/lanes and offers more activities/amenities for it's membership.

However, for the price of the membership and it being 5 minutes away from the house unless I get caught by a train. I can not complain whatsoever. It is a place to shoot without spending a bunch of money on fuel and beats driving to the woods.

The Annual Meetings are always fun, lots of food to eat and plenty of booze to drink with gambling and more drinking afterwards. I would say it is a gentleman's club atmosphere of yesteryear. Millar's Tire always raffles off a rifle and/or fishing gear and at least 20 bottles of booze. The Club will usually raffle off a couple rifles, nice fishing pole/tackle and lots of other items such as cooler, knives, lanterns. The other items vary from year to year but there is a fair amount of stuff raffled off every year.

Prizes are given in all categories of game,fish and waterfowl for best entry. Skunk prizes are also given in same categories for unfilled tags.

One thing we do have that Tri-County does not is private access to a river for fishing. This has it's advantages during the summer also for swimming spots along the Molalla River instead where the herd of people usually swim.

There also is a hunting blind along the river for those that are into duck hunting. They do travel along the Molalla River quite frequently during hunting season.

We also have an outside Archery Range for bow hunters.

We do not have any Staffed Range Officers. For the most part when I go to shoot, I am either the only one there or maybe a few other people. Once it gets close to hunting season there will be more activity/use by members to sight in their gun/scope. Sometimes when the sun comes out there will be more people but it is never crowded nor does one usually have to wait for a lane during the busy times, which are pretty infrequent.

Did I mention there is plenty of opportunity to drink at the Annual Meeting?

I know there is something I am forgetting.

I will never give up my membership, only death will part me from it.

5. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Likewise, and thank for covering some of the other aspects, hard to type out a good post on my phone. :bluelaugh:

6. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

I have been on the list for 2 years and no end in sight. Maybe the economy will pick up and some of the people will get better jobs in other areas. I'm not holding my breath though.

7. Colt Carbine

Colt Carbine Oregon Gears-N-Guns

Be patient 2-4 years is the norm, keep applying each year so your name stays on the list and moves up. If you miss reapplying one year, you got to start all over. If you did miss reapplying this year let your sponsoring member know, so they can make the correction for you.

I know it sucks but it is just the way it is. Most available spots come from members becoming a Lifetime Member, Death, moving out of the area or not paying yearly dues on time or not fulfilling their obligatory volunteer work hours in the 1st year.