JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Stuntrider44 Don't forget to pack a couple chamber flags for your pistol and rifle. ;)

About 6 1/2 years ago, I was in the same position you find yourself in now. Never been to a competition and was more than a bit intimidated with the "run-n-gun" type matches. After spending some time right here in the competitive shooting section of the forum, I inquired about shooting my 1st "steel" match just as you just did.

I was given excellent advice and even an invite to squad with a fellow member on this forum at an upcoming match. I took him up on the offer and was even accepted as a "regular" on "squad 4"!

After having such a positive experience at my 1st match, I eventually started extending my own invites to "newbie's" here on the forum to come out to shoot a "steel" match. I have lost count of the folks I've mentored. I was even eventually able to get @Joe Link, the owner of this forum, to join me for a match! Lol

Here is a list of local matches that shoot "speed steel" and "rimfire challenge" type matches.

1. Tri County Gun Club (speed steel).

2. Albany Rifle and Pistol Club (speed steel).

3. Douglas Ridge Rifle Club (rimfire challenge) http://douglasridge.org/calendar.html

4. Canby Rod and Gun Club (rimfire challenge)

I'm a member at both TCGC and ARPC.
My 1st match ever, was at TCGG and have several dozen matches under my belt, followed by ARPC. I've shot a couple rimfire matches at DRRC and lastly, my 1st match at CRGC was last month.

While I have "dipped my toe" in USPSA and IDPA, speed steel matches are my preferred style matches to shoot. With that said, I will give you my opinion and quick overview of the four matches and their respective clubs.

I would highly recommend the match at Canby as a 1st match for someone who has never shot a match before. @dcr25060 is an excellent match director and only having just shot my 1st match at CRGC last month, I can say without a doubt, that he is professional, has a ton of experience, and the patience to "guide" the new shooter though the match. Not to take away from the competitive side of this match, but I would consider this to be a "kiddie pool" match. As in It's the perfect match for newbie's. After all, the main goal of most of these matches, is to have fun and promote the "action sports and responsible gun ownership". If a new shooter does not feel welcome or maybe a bit intimidated, what are the odds that they will come back? CRGC is perfect for the new shooter, including ladies and youth. I know if I was just starting out, I would be back in a heartbeat!

DRRC is another great match for newbie's, it's a bit larger with regards to participants though. @Kimber Custom also does an excellent job as the match director and ensuring that everyone has a safe and great time!

Both of the above matches are rimfire only and are shot with both pistol and rifle. DRRC is 4 stages pistol, 4 stages rifle ( 8 stages total) CRGC is 3 stages pistol, 3 stages rifle (6 stages total). if I'm not mistaken, the DRRC match can be shot with just pistol or rifle (loaner's are available if needed) but you will not be eligible for prizes.

TCGC and ARPC are more of an experienced shooters match. I recommend finding a "mentor" here on the forum to squad with and to show you "the ropes" of the match. Due to the popularity of squad 4 at TCGC, it's very rare that I offer invites anymore as there is just not any room left. We are often times busting at the seams! Lol

Both TCCC and ARPC are both centerfire and rimfire (not limited to rimfire only). At these matches you only shoot one gun with multiple divisions to choose from. (rimfire pistol and rifle, with and without optics, centerfire pistol and rifle, with and without a red dot and even revolver with and without optic). My match guns include a Sig P320 X5 with red dot, a S&W 15-22 (heavily modified) with red dot and a AR 9mm PCC with red dot. Red dot's can have a bit of a learning curve on pistols as it can be a little frustrating to "acquire" the dot upon presentation to the target. Still, I always recommend newbie's start off with a red dot if they have one.

So I'm conclusion, if you are a newbie just looking to get that 1st match "under your belt" pick a match from the list above that best resonates with you, get paired up with a mentor from here on the forum and come on out to shoot! You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner! Heck, you might catch the action sports bug and branch out into the other disciplines!

Now for the disclaimer. To state the obvious, these are shooting matches and a certain amount of accuracy is required. Typical target sizes that you will commonly encounter are 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch rounds and 18x24 in rectangles. Some stages at TCGC will stretch out to 45yds. with the 18x24 plates the furthest away.
Typically, the smaller targets are placed closer and the larger further out. TCGC and ARPC also have several "speed' stages where the 18x24 plates are arranged from 8-12yds. Those are really fun and fast to shoot.

So please be honest with yourself with your skills and abilities before heading out. If you are not capable of hitting the examples above, with or without a red dot, then seek out some additional training to help you acquire said skills and abilities. @Kimber Custom can get you dialed in! :)

@Stuntrider44 Don't forget to pack a couple chamber flags for your pistol and rifle. ;)

About 6 1/2 years ago, I was in the same position you find yourself in now. Never been to a competition and was more than a bit intimidated with the "run-n-gun" type matches. After spending some time right here in the competitive shooting section of the forum, I inquired about shooting my 1st "steel" match just as you just did.

I was given excellent advice and even an invite to squad with a fellow member on this forum at an upcoming match. I took him up on the offer and was even accepted as a "regular" on "squad 4"!

After having such a positive experience at my 1st match, I eventually started extending my own invites to "newbie's" here on the forum to come out to shoot a "steel" match. I have lost count of the folks I've mentored. I was even eventually able to get @Joe Link, the owner of this forum, to join me for a match! Lol

Here is a list of local matches that shoot "speed steel" and "rimfire challenge" type matches.

1. Tri County Gun Club (speed steel).

2. Albany Rifle and Pistol Club (speed steel).

3. Douglas Ridge Rifle Club (rimfire challenge) http://douglasridge.org/calendar.html

4. Canby Rod and Gun Club (rimfire challenge)

I'm a member at both TCGC and ARPC.
My 1st match ever, was at TCGG and have several dozen matches under my belt, followed by ARPC. I've shot a couple rimfire matches at DRRC and lastly, my 1st match at CRGC was last month.

While I have "dipped my toe" in USPSA and IDPA, speed steel matches are my preferred style matches to shoot. With that said, I will give you my opinion and quick overview of the four matches and their respective clubs.

I would highly recommend the match at Canby as a 1st match for someone who has never shot a match before. @dcr25060 is an excellent match director and only having just shot my 1st match at CRGC last month, I can say without a doubt, that he is professional, has a ton of experience, and the patience to "guide" the new shooter though the match. Not to take away from the competitive side of this match, but I would consider this to be a "kiddie pool" match. As in It's the perfect match for newbie's. After all, the main goal of most of these matches, is to have fun and promote the "action sports and responsible gun ownership". If a new shooter does not feel welcome or maybe a bit intimidated, what are the odds that they will come back? CRGC is perfect for the new shooter, including ladies and youth. I know if I was just starting out, I would be back in a heartbeat!

DRRC is another great match for newbie's, it's a bit larger with regards to participants though. @Kimber Custom also does an excellent job as the match director and ensuring that everyone has a safe and great time!

Both of the above matches are rimfire only and are shot with both pistol and rifle. DRRC is 4 stages pistol, 4 stages rifle ( 8 stages total) CRGC is 3 stages pistol, 3 stages rifle (6 stages total). if I'm not mistaken, the DRRC match can be shot with just pistol or rifle (loaner's are available if needed) but you will not be eligible for prizes.

TCGC and ARPC are more of an experienced shooters match. I recommend finding a "mentor" here on the forum to squad with and to show you "the ropes" of the match. Due to the popularity of squad 4 at TCGC, it's very rare that I offer invites anymore as there is just not any room left. We are often times busting at the seams! Lol

Both TCCC and ARPC are both centerfire and rimfire (not limited to rimfire only). At these matches you only shoot one gun with multiple divisions to choose from. (rimfire pistol and rifle, with and without optics, centerfire pistol and rifle, with and without a red dot and even revolver with and without optic). My match guns include a Sig P320 X5 with red dot, a S&W 15-22 (heavily modified) with red dot and a AR 9mm PCC with red dot. Red dot's can have a bit of a learning curve on pistols as it can be a little frustrating to "acquire" the dot upon presentation to the target. Still, I always recommend newbie's start off with a red dot if they have one.

So I'm conclusion, if you are a newbie just looking to get that 1st match "under your belt" pick a match from the list above that best resonates with you, get paired up with a mentor from here on the forum and come on out to shoot! You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner! Heck, you might catch the action sports bug and branch out into the other disciplines!

Now for the disclaimer. To state the obvious, these are shooting matches and a certain amount of accuracy is required. Typical target sizes that you will commonly encounter are 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch rounds and 18x24 in rectangles. Some stages at TCGC will stretch out to 45yds. with the 18x24 plates the furthest away.
Typically, the smaller targets are placed closer and the larger further out. TCGC and ARPC also have several "speed' stages where the 18x24 plates are arranged from 8-12yds. Those are really fun and fast to shoot.

So please be honest with yourself with your skills and abilities before heading out. If you are not capable of hitting the examples above, with or without a red dot, then seek out some additional training to help you acquire said skills and abilities. @Kimber Custom can get you dialed in! :)
Sticky/permanent post material right here! "...squad 4 is the place to be," insert green acres tune here!

@Fish rite Congrats on taking 1st place! If only my rifle performance would have matched my pistol performance. Oh well, I'll have to settle for 2nd place. Had a great time! Unfortunately, my new work schedule days off are now Sun and Mon., so no more Canby matches for me….:(

@Fish rite Congrats on taking 1st place! If only my rifle performance would have matched my pistol performance. Oh well, I'll have to settle for 2nd place. Had a great time! Unfortunately, my new work schedule days off are now Sun and Mon., so no more Canby matches for me….:(
Canby Mike thing happening there? Its been known to happen at other clubs as well.

OK, I think I've de bugged the Practiscore online registration. The August and September matches are now open for pre-registration. Payment at time of match. Initially I will not set up squads as the stages are physically separate from each other. You are free to rotate though stages with friends and family as you see fit. Additionally I am only offering Juniors and Ladies as categories at this time. I did not see an option for entering as Limited for one gun and Open for the other, so going forward if ONE of your guns has an optic, you will shoot in OPEN class.

I tried to sign up for the last match but it said registration was closed....so hopefully in the near future. I will be traveling over the rest of the year so hopefully in 2023.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top