JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lee-Enfield rifle being phased out, being replaced by Colt Canada
Posted 6 hours ago in Rifles by Steve Johnson with 47 Comments
Tags: canada, enfield
canada-ranger-tm-tfb.jpg
Canadian Rangers
We first blogged about Canada replacing the Lee-Enfield rifle, used by the Rangers, a reserve unit that patrols the far north, back in 2011. It seems the Canadian Army is still talking about replacing the aging rifles but not doing a whole lot of actual replacing. Back in 2011 the Army said they would be replaced with a rifle chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO. Now they are talking to Colt Canada, which makes me think they are going to issue them with AR-15 rifles chambered in 5.56mm.
Metro News reports
"The Rangers were not issued this weapon to fight an enemy, they were given the rifle because they are operating in one of the harshest environments in the world," says Capt. Mark Rittwage, officer commander of the 3rd Canadian Patrol Group, Northern Ontario.
"And . . . the predators that are there, polar bears, wolves, even bull moose during rutting season, can cause a danger to our Rangers," Rittwage says.
The Lee-Enfield is still being used by many military and police forces around the globe.
But its Ranger tenure may be coming to an end with National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces having issued a request for proposal to gun maker Colt Canada for a replacement.
Lee-Enfields are issued to Rangers primarily for self-defence, he stresses. The Rangers are trained to kill only if clearly threatened.
Each Ranger is issued with a Lee Enfield No. 4 rifle and has a yearly allowance of 200 .303 rounds of ammunition.
- See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ium=rss&utm_campaign=rss#sthash.ebv7z4Re.dpuf

I watch "Life Below Zero" during season. I see Agnes Hailstone ( from Noorvik) shoot Caribou with a Mosin Nagant. I'm not familiar enough with those rifles to identify the exactly model. There was another series on that focused on people hunting the Alaskan Brown Bear on Kodiak Island. Very interesting to watch. They have a saying " On Kodiak Island sometimes the bear wins"

The Rangers are a hold over from WW2

I say let the Rangers decide, give them their 303 rifles, to keep as heirlooms and war trophys and a yearly allowance towards ammo, let them supply their own rifle, in any caliber, if they like

it will be Colt bolt action rifle or Ruger GSR.
Source from different forum

Sure, you can say to empty a mag of 5.56 into an angry polar bear or moose, but this makes a lot more sense.

If I was the Canadians, I'd replace their aging Enfields with some off the shelf, commercial bolt action and make sure it has a detachable box magazine system. The rifles would be chambered for 7.62 NATO or - if I was feeling patriotic and didn't mind the hassle of finding, modifying, or creating a DBM system to work with the longer brass - .303 British.

The Ruger GSR comes with the 7.62 NATO sized mag setup and iron sights ready to go.

Sure, you can say to empty a mag of 5.56 into an angry polar bear or moose, but this makes a lot more sense.

If I was the Canadians, I'd replace their aging Enfields with some off the shelf, commercial bolt action and make sure it has a detachable box magazine system. The rifles would be chambered for 7.62 NATO or - if I was feeling patriotic and didn't mind the hassle of finding, modifying, or creating a DBM system to work with the longer brass - .303 British.

The Ruger GSR comes with the 7.62 NATO sized mag setup and iron sights ready to go.

When dealing with an carnivore that size, I want Mass and Velocity. The 458, 338, 460 wby come to mind. Almost every animal on earth has been brought down by the puny 22 variations, but there is no way I want anything less than what I stated above given a choice. Even the 303 is marginal with an animal that can stand 12 to 14 feet tall.
Anything less and I will prefer that buddy system LOL

I have an Enfield given to me and still in FL that I've never had a chance to shoot. The odd caliber is one of the reasons I've procrastinated getting it here.
It's not been sporterized and has the look of a weapon that has seen battle. It has a date of 1944 on it if I recall.
Even if I never fire it, it's a cool historical piece to have around.

I imagine that when they use the Enfields it is not with WW2 surplus ammo (if any still exists) it's probably CIL or Ishapore commercial, Privi Partisian
If Canada wanted they could give them NATO Enfields made by Ishapore
The Gibbs Quest Enfield is a 308 and has a 12 rnd mag plus it's nickel plated
th?id=HN.608043463937819591&pid=15.1&P=0

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA