JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ah, so I should have been more clear.

Buddy wants to sell me a firearm. He is in Canada, I'm in the US. So it isn't a moving thing. Which your link indicates it doesn't cover.

I believe you will still have to use and FFL and have them get an importation permit. The only exception is for military personnel returning from overseas duty bringing their personal firearms with them, but they still have to fill out and have paperwork stamped prior to them leaving from their overseas station.

I remember filling out, sending in, and getting back "stamped" paperwork for my Italian made 92F and Colt AR15 (bought while in Germany @ the rod & gun club) before my PCS back to CONUS. At JFK airport I merely declared my firearms, showed my Army orders, paperwork & ID, the customs guy compared serials to my paperwork and I was done and through... bada-bing.

That was back in '88 and I'm sure things may he a bit different, but it can't be THAT different today.

If you want to do it yourself it goes something like this:

First you need to find an FFL that will work with you. Ideally, if you can find one near the border then you can skip using an import/export agent.

You have to file an ATF Form (6?), once they approve the form you need coordinate with your friend to meet you and your FFL at the US Border with the firearm. The customs guys will review the paperwork and hand the gun to your FFL who then has to transfer the gun to you after you both depart the customs area.

Technically, your friend will need to get the appropriate ATT (Authorization to Transport) from his Provincial Firearms Officer in order to take the gun to the border crossing. He may also be required to report the export to the Canadian Customs - but I'm not sure about that.

There are also import/export people that can handle all this for a fee and will just ship the gun to your FFL.

At the end of the day it is a lot of hassle. Make sure you really want to do it and that the gun is worth the hassles.

It's a huge headache. I did it when I moved to the US because my dad had a decent gun collection and they were getting ready to implement their registry and all their new licensing rules and he didn't want to deal with it. So I got enough guns for free to justify the headache.

Considering that most modern guns sell for considerably more in Canada than the US - it isn't worth it to buy up there and import unless you are getting an awesome deal or it is really rare.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top