JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I "THINK" my wife is pregnant! Now I am super nervous been around her......I am afraid I might pass lead to her.

I just started to shoot frequently about 3 month ago. Goes to shoot about three time a week and so far went through about 3000 round of 9mm, 500 round 223 and 3000 round .22.

I am aware potential lead exposure when shooting indoor and took good precaution

I wash my hand/face with soap immediately after i shoot. Shower when I go home from range and all clothes goes straight into washing machine. I shoot at West Coast Armory which have one of best ventilation system. Latex glove when I clean gun. All cloth goes to laundry after I clean gun.

What else can I do??

If you were casting lead at home, I would keep her away from your work area! And wash up good!

Your getting more copper and brass than anything else.

You don't have anything to worry about.

lead is a big deal. I have been a Radiator Tech for over a decade. touching, breathing, and settling lead dust can be very harmful. sounds like you take every precaution to keep it out of your family. I have talked to many gun shop owners that had to be removed from areas because there lead test level was way to high. lead will stay in your blood for around 30 days then it is in your marrow for life. If you are a avid shooter I would suggest getting a lead level test, very easy. bringing lead home is easy so taking a shower, washing clothes, and keeping shoes out of the families contact are great ways to keep woman and young children safer. I am NOT, repeat, NOT saying don't enjoy shooting but when dealing with things you can't fix later, like a childs defects, taking large precautions now is good! large lead levels can change you as well but as an adult they have less effects with smaller amounts then a growing human or females reproduction. I have been tested at least twice a year and have seen my levels range from 10 to 30. everybody has lead in them from daily getting around it just depends. make sure you don't handle food, beverages, smokes, and even touch your face while doing anything with lead around until you wash. I am not trying to freak anybody out just stating precautions from somebody that has had to deal with the effects of lead exposure. I also recommend running the wash after your clothes with a bleach so there is less a chance of passing it on, some say its not likely to be passed on in the wash but I have experienced different. open air ranges would be a good choice as lead will settle to dust and the dust is more damaging then firing a couple hundred rounds.

When I first read the title I thought it was a metaphor for offing your wife!!:s0112:

But seriously, Congratulations! And it sounds like you are already taking every reasonable precaution.

Calm down?
I have gone to more than my share of hazmat classes.As long as you don't expose her to your cloths,take your shoes off outside and shower out in the back yard,where she will never ever walk (JK).....
Just keep the clothes and shoes away and shower or at least wash your hands good.
No problem.

BTW either make the kid brilliant or expose it to lead,then you won't have to pay for college
Just a thought

Lol thanks a lot guys. This is gonna be the first kid so ofcourse my mind had been thinking all kind of crazy stuff.

Thanks for the info guys. In the meantime, I am ordering this tonight.
<broken link removed>

To my experience you need a blood test for lead. might be a waste of money on the amazon.com test. If you just shoot and dont work in a lead enviroment the precautions you take are good. If you are serious about the test go to the doctors. thats the test that works and it is a blood test. Congrats on the child. sounds like you are a good parent already!

The cure is saltpeter; no lead in your pencil and you can't give her anything.

Congrats on the baby. I'm not sure about lead specifically, but heavy metal testing is very expensive.

Bleach won't help with lead. A good scrubbing with soap and water for anything exposed and you are good to go. I'd worry more about the kitty litter box -- don't let your wife near it if you have one.

Lol thanks alot. Lots of love from Northwestfirearms!!

SPU, could you elaborate on the kitty-litter issue? I do have three fat-*** cat in house with two litter box...............

Lol thanks alot. Lots of love from Northwestfirearms!!

SPU, could you elaborate on the kitty-litter issue? I do have three fat-*** cat in house with two litter box...............

Toxoplasmosis. From the CDC:

"Women who are thinking about becoming pregnant should be especially careful about toxoplasmosis because this disease can infect the fetus and cause a malformation or abortion."

<broken link removed>

don't freak out, but be careful.

Last Edited:
I think you are doing fine as far as making sure that you are lead free for your Wife and baby.

As far as the cat box, when my Wife was pregnant I became the cat box cleaner. I made sure to cleanup the droppings after each cat and not let them pile up at all. Did not remove the cat box from the house just made sure that I did all cat box cleanings.

Congratulations. Start buying diapers now.
Mike

Phew....was freaked out a bit...I am always the one that does cat litter anyway. Cat had never leave the house and ate nothing but meowmix and iams.

Thanks a lot guys.

Mike, noticed you are from Grants Pass, I lived there for few years right before I got married. Use to work for a office on A street. Used to eat at "Shikis" the whole time, folks there were awesome,

I read this and I thought it was a question of, "If it came down to it, would you shoot your wife."
Also note, that pregnant women can still shoot, but it is recommended that they limit themselves from handling the ammo, (not so much if it's FMJ) and that they do not do any of the cleaning, which is where most of the lead exposure comes from.
Also after around 3 months or so is when the baby's ears start developing, and the loud noise from gunshots can harm the baby's hearing in the womb. So it's best if she does not go shooting with you after that point.
Have a 3 month old baby boy, and me and the wife go shooting, and found this out from our doctor when we asked about it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top