Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can you survive without anything if need be?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by glockguy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

So I was thinking.. we are all talking about go bags and what to put in them and what we need... But what if we got separated from all the resources we put together? Could you survive with out it until you could find the resources you needed?

I think it would be challenging but i think it could be done.. I have considered reading survival books on how to survive with nothing but whats in your pockets.. i know there are books out there like that...

I guess I am just thinking of worse case scenario:huh:

2. fred c. dobbs

fred c. dobbs salem Active Member

Pardon me, Glockguy, are you taking into effect more than just one environement, one terrain, from country to city, hillside, desert, forest. Time of year weather conditions, the veriables are to wide to suggest you could make it with just what you in your pockets, unless you are wearing insulated ovealls,

personally i beleive your best bet is have a travel bag (well stocked ) when you must travel, however the best bet is to have a very well prepared home.

thank you for posting such a question, made me think it through more and more as we prepare for the next downward wave.

3. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Knowledge, luck and the determination to survive will help keep you alive. I would have a good chance.

4. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

It's a "GO BAG", where I "GO" it "GOES"!

5. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Agree with above. Always have resources with you. I am a firm believer of bugging in, not out, but I always have a bag of resources to get home. The size and scope of the bag changes based on how far from home I am...

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

"Can you survive without anything if need be?"

Only if god wills it.

jj

7. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Exactly, all my rigs have a survival bag in them. My weapon is on me, so I think I would be good to go.

8. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

That's a very open ended question that does not specify location, weather conditions, etc.
    For example: Buck naked on a tropical island is a tad easier than wearing a business suit, packing a pistol and bowie knife on top of Mt Hood.

9. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Can I survive without ANYTHING? I doubt it...I know how to make weapons a such with stone tools and to tan- but I only know this in theory, not practice. A lot of what I know is from reading/research. However, as you may know you need to practice a lot of these skills and learn it through experience. So, I honestly think I need all my gear to live...once it all wears out or breaks I hope I can cope from there.

10. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

:bluelaugh::laugh: That’s funny!

I tend to dress, & tool up, for the environment/situation.

11. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

My truck is always packed with survival gear. I have a pack in the back and a bag up front with me. My handgun is only off me when at work. As for the question posted, I believe that I could survive with only what I carry on me. A pistol, spare mag, A large folding knife, a smaller folder that fits in my pocket nicely, a source of fire and a bracelet made of para cord. Could I survive with whats on my person ? yes. Do I want to be limited to that? no.
    I think that the most important thing to remember no matter what gear you have, you must practice with it and hone your skills. I have been left in the woods over night and learned quick to always have a kit. Just my two cents

12. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

I started a thread a little over a year ago about a hike I took when I was a kid.....I got hypothermia. The old guy that became my "bush craft" mentor laughed and told me all that I needed was a lighter and a good pocket knife....And this was in Alaska.

I'd like to think that I learned well enough to not let the old fella down.

So I'd answer; yeah..

By the way...An armored Zippo and a $15.00 German folding Knife ...

13. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

always have a P38 on your key chain
    why? because it is a philips head and flat head screw driver
    if its sharp a small knife cleans fingernails real good
    and it opens caned goods

14. i8asquirrel

i8asquirrel Keizer, oregon Member

This is the Idea....If you have a BOB, something that is a great idea. You may not always be able to retreive it. I try to always have some basics on my person. I am also pretty creative and damb determind. "I will make it through" a person will need to be willing to survive. what will you do if the situation calls for it? For me the answer is anything. "I'll make it"

15. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

I would say in moderate conditions with a Gransfors Bruks small forest axe I could make it until sickness or serious injury happened. It would make things easier if I had a Ruger Mark III I know I would be happier, but I feel I could catch or scavenge enough food to survive.

16. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Glockguy,are you trying to panic everyone on this site?

Become separated from their Bug out bag?
    Mother of gawd

I would guess most on here are sleeping with it in between them and their girls,tonight.