JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone tried this? Please don't "blast" me with huge words saying it's unsafe. It's just a question. I'm getting a LCR 357 for jacket pocket carry so the thought occurred if need be I could fire it from the pocket without the BG knowing what hit him. I know there is significant amount of gas that comes out between the forcing cone and the cylinder so I'm assuming it would probably blow the pocket of light jacket appart, but I don't know how safe it is for your hand.

Thanks

I would venture a jacket pocket (depending on the jacket) could be Very very different then a bluejeams pocket being held loosely in a very unnormal way.

I wear the inner jact from my remington 4 way parka as my main jacket. And with its light nylon lining and fully padding I would be surprised if my Bauer .25 Automatic (a Stainless version of the Baby Browning design) wouldn't eject and chamber a round. I am very certain I could empty my Charter Arms Undercover .38Spl in a pocket. With no trouble (course I guess it could light the pocket on fire LOL)

The shape of my hand wrapped around the grip on either pistol keeps the inner fabric well off the side of the pistol or revolver.

YMMV

I would'nt based on my own personal experience. I was shooting my 44 mag at 100 yrds using a heavy winter coat as a rest. The first shot ripped clear through both sides of the jacket sending my goose down in the air falling like snowflakes. It was fun unloading the following 5 shots as the goose down floated in the air but at $200 for a coat I don't think I'll do it again any time soon.

I would'nt based on my own personal experience. I was shooting my 44 mag at 100 yrds using a heavy winter coat as a rest. The first shot ripped clear through both sides of the jacket sending my goose down in the air falling like snowflakes. It was fun unloading the following 5 shots as the goose down floated in the air but at $200 for a coat I don't think I'll do it again any time soon.

In an emergency situation with a life hanging in the balance I'm not going to worry about the cost of a pair of pants or jacket!

In an emergency situation with a life hanging in the balance I'm not going to worry about the cost of a pair of pants or jacket!
How good of a shot are you from the hip with a snubnose? If you're going to take a shot make it count :s0159: In the video the revolver is in the pocket straight down, you ever try turning a revlover from a vertical to horizontal position in a pants pocket?

Yep, works great as long as your revolver does not have a hammer to snag up.

I managed to shoot my 450 Marlin through my jacket recently when the wind whipped up and it flipped up over the barrel as I rested it on the truck. Tore it up real bad matter of fact.

I've thought about this before too, so it's interesting to see it come up now.

The shot-from-a-pocket situation introduces a number of possible variables including (but not limited to) potential hammer snagging, awkward posture and aim, and maybe excess burning powder contained closely around the hand. But, while not ideal by any stretch, a shot from a jacket pocket in a life/death scenario might become the ticket to survival.

Maybe practice unloaded a few times just to get the motion ingrained. It's got to feel way different. Then a few times in that position without the jacket to see where the muzzle is actually pointing, etc.

I personally like revolvers with hammers. So, for me, a shrouded hammer seems the best way to eliminate taking a big bite of jacket pocket material. And it won't snag on a pocket, backpack/fannypack/purse if you have the luxury of one extra second to yank it out and assume a more effective shooting posture.

While it's satisfying to lighten the trigger pull on a dedicated target or hunting weapon, I make a point of retaining the stubborn stock double-action trigger pull on any pocket carry piece, requiring a deliberate effort to fire it. I haven't done the in-pocket thing, but I do train (outdoors) for a quick grab and a couple quick shots. I would never pocket anything with a sweet little 2-3 lb trigger.

Interesting topic. Will look here for reported results and other ideas about it. Be careful!

Only truly feasable with a "hammerless" gun and at point blank range. I only see it as useful if they already have the drop on you, otherwise just draw it

Only truly feasable with a "hammerless" gun and at point blank range. I only see it as useful if they already have the drop on you, otherwise just draw it

Yup. That's why I will use the LCR. I always walk with my hands in my jacket pocket so if someone gets a jump on me in a dark alleyway up close, then all you have to do is point and shoot. I've tried it with an empty gun. Points naturally at the belly area, with practice higher. My main concern was the hot gasses in a confined space.

I carry a Star Firestar 9MM in my front coat pocket in cold weather.. in that case it may very well be used first before I reload it or go for my New York Reload..my "primary"..

Reloads for the Firestar are in the front left pocket, and I can have my hand on one even as I fire

I think about this one all the time,cause I ain't gunna play cowboy quick draw at these kind of times.
So if I needed to venture into a bad situation,the gun will be out of the holster and in the pocket. Then it's ready and no " brandishing".
Hey if I'm at a cash machine at night,the gun is in my hand. Ya'll can be cowboys and try to out draw someone (always someone quicker)
Someone on here said his grampa said he could sew a hole in a pocket faster than most could draw a gun. I like that idea.
Oh and it only needs to be one shot. The guy should be real close ,enough it would be hard to miss

I never assume one shot from any gun is going to do the trick. I will shoot, move if possible, and continue to shoot as long as they are a danger

I've placed a few napkins just ahead of the cylinder on my GP100 and then fired the gun. The gasses and powder shredded the napkins and left burn marks on the debris. I can't imagine that a revolver fired in a pocket would do anything different. If this were in pants you were wearing, well, I just don't think it would be very pleasant for the shooter. Certainly less painful for the shooter than for the shootee but still doesn't sound like much fun to me. I can just imagine the look on a BG's face if you miss him and start jumping up and down because you just singed your short curly hairs :s0112:

If any of you guys are going to do this, please also post pictures of the inside of the pocket, especially with a revolver. Should be interesting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top