JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was going to try and sell our 1963 Apache tent trailer but it looks like we have to have the title to sell? This thing has been in our family for over 40 years and across the country several times, who the hell knows where the title is? Do I really have to spend hundreds to title and register a 450 lb. trailer I was going to sell for $150.

Was going to try and sell our 1963 Apache tent trailer but it looks like we have to have the title to sell? This thing has been in our family for over 40 years and across the country several times, who the hell knows where the title is? Do I really have to spend hundreds to title and register a 450 lb. trailer I was going to sell for $150.
Who cares if you have a title? If, whoever you sell it to wants a Title - simply find another buyer! At that price I'm sure you won't have trouble finding a buyer.

Who cares if you have a title? If, whoever you sell it to wants a Title - simply find another buyer! At that price I'm sure you won't have trouble finding a buyer.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about a title. Not for that price and age.

How have you been getting tags for it without a title? I thought that you need a title to register it for tags?

I have a small tent trailer and I need tags for it which comes via the registration.

Washington is way more crazy about trailer registration than Oregon is.
True dat.

My buddy was building a small trailer he could tow behind his quad and I gave him an axle from an old trailer that I had for his build. In order for him to register it, he needed a letter from me regarding the origin of the axle.

Believe I had that exact same trailer, might have been a year or two later, that I restored and towed around for 25 years. No tags, registration or title. Never had any when I bought it. Had LE behind me several times over the years. Never stopped. Later put an expired Australian trailer plate on it because it looked cool. I gave it to my son in law who has hauled it around the last 5 years. So no, if it were me I wouldn't even bother getting any paperwork. And for $150, any buyer would probably care less either. scan0005 (Large).jpg

scan0009 (Large).jpg

Last Edited:
Things must be different in Ore. than Wash. Here, you'd need a license plate and tags on it to tow without risking a stop. There's just about no trailer made that doesn't require a license in Wash. Including a wood splitter. I hauled mine home from the store without license, taking a chance. I could've bought a three day pass, didn't bother, took a chance, and came out okay. It's not gonna leave my property, I don't see any need for a plate.

But a camping trailer, that's a different story, those get towed around all over Hell and half of Georgia. The concern an LEO might have is, lack of identification on the vehicle for legal purposes. Extreme example, somebody towing a trailer without a plate runs over a kid, hard to get a plate number if there isn't one. And with the trailer on back, that's the plate that would be read if present. Another issue I've been told is legality of ownership. They like to be able to check and see if something is stolen. Towed vehicles get stolen all the time. Like cargo trailers, air compressors, concrete mixers, etc.

A real concern of those in Olympia, I'm sure, is squeezing as much juice out of the lemon as possible. Years ago, I had an army M416 cargo trailer, the annual tabs were cheap. Then Tim Eyman came along and floated his $30 tab initiative. Which passed but is now long time in the rear view mirror. So just being nasty and vindictive as bureaucracies can be, since the new law said "all vehicles $30 tabs" the DOL administratively raised all trailers to minimum of $30. Whereas my little cargo trailer had been about $12 per year before.

I used to go to abandoned vehicle auctions here in Wash. Pop-up camping trailers sold there were treated as any other vehicle. Title, plates, transfer, taxes, etc.

Bottom line for OP as suggested by others, just sell it as-is without title. There are relatively easy procedures for having a new title issued if they want one. You'd have to sign a paper for them to take to the DOL. People do this with cars, even. I'm sure there is nothing unique about this situation; if the new owner wants a title, there are people at the DOL who can walk them through it.

Oregon. As long as it's under a certain. GVWR. No license plate needed. I want to say it was2,000 lbs? But Ive never been pulled over for my utility trailer and never weight checked

Now days I would think the info by State would be on the web? Should not be too hard to look up and see what the different states say about these? I don't think I ever see one in this state that does not have tags on it but other states may not care.

Harbor freight has number punches.

Go get three of them. Stamp a SN/ID on the tongue and go get it inspected at OSP. Then register for title with OSP information.

Add that fee to cost of trailer to buyer who wants title and has prepaid.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top