JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since 911 calls are recorded, do you need their consent to record the phone call yourself? Link to citation please...My understanding is that since they are recording the call there is no expectation of privacy and thus you can record the call as well but I wasn't able to find a citation for this.

What about if an Officer calls you, you you record that phone call? I guess in that situation I don't know if they are recording the call so it's even less clear what the rules are for this...Citation please...

Washington is a two party consent state. Washington Recording Law | Digital Media Law Project
Oregon is a one party consent state. Oregon | Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

Yeah, I'm familiar with this statute. In fact as long as someone doesn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy it's legal to record them (such as in public) including audio. But does this apply to Police on a phone call? You are allowed to record them on duty, but what about the phone with an officer?

I've found the WA specific statute that allows you to record 911 calls: RCW 9.73.030: Intercepting, recording, or divulging private communication—Consent required—Exceptions.

Since 911 calls are recorded, do you need their consent to record the phone call yourself? Link to citation please...My understanding is that since they are recording the call there is no expectation of privacy and thus you can record the call as well but I wasn't able to find a citation for this.

What about if an Officer calls you, you you record that phone call? I guess in that situation I don't know if they are recording the call so it's even less clear what the rules are for this...Citation please...

There are a couple problems with this kind of question. When seeking "legal advice" on line you will always get lots of conflicting idea's. Then there is the problem where lot's of people will cite laws different than you asked for. Then you will get those who quote law where they live, and this may not be where you live. So bottom line. No matter what anyone tells you, only you are gong to be held accountable if you end up in court. No judge cares what you were told. So assuming you don't want to pay a lawyer for their opinion the next best thing is Google is your friend. Just be sure you are looking at Fed, state, and even local laws. Different places "MAY" have all of them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top