JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for an AR 15 type much like Bushmaster m4 type that would double as a camp defense gun but also as a light weight predator or varmint type. I'm 66 and in good health but I want to avoid packing weight. All I can think of are the Bushmaster's that are 16" barrels and these are ready for a scope rail or iron sights. But these are 20". Their Predator Carbine is 8 pounds! Any ideas? Thanks.

I could be wrong, but a "true" M-4 will not have a 20" bbl. I believe they are 16" (for civilians) and 14" for military and police.

However, if you insist on a 20" bbl then consider one of these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-A4-AR15-Bravo-Company-carbine-rifle-s/146.htm

IMG_0384001_.jpg

A little hard to find, but if one is determined then they can be found, new in the box. Not as light as an M-4, but it's not that heavy either, even though it does have a "heavy" bbl. I know for a fact it is super accurate.

a 20" barrel is definitely a lot to lug around and will increase the weight quite a bit.

I would personally go with a 16" barrel up to 18" max. that extra length is going to catch on stuff when slung on your back and add to the weight of the rifle.

M&P 15 is a decent all around rifle with collapsible stock, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and decent build quality. Weighs in at 6.5lbs.

<broken link removed>

buddies dad has a Remington R-15 VTR SS varmint rifle.. weighs in at 7.75lbs, has a triangular .223 rem barrel, fixed stock, 1:9 twist chromoly barrel.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-r-15/model-r-15-vtr-ss-varmint.aspx

Or if you're up to the task of putting a puzzle together: you can always build a custom rifle to do exactly what you want. Plenty of videos on youtube to show you exactly how to assemble an AR-15 from start to finish. Custom rifles aren't worth as much for resale as pre-assembled rifles, but I couldn't care less about that as I never plan to sell the rifle I'm building. My daughter can have it when I croak, but until that time it will remain in my possession. :D

A civilian M4 is 16" a military is 14.5" or a civilian could pin a 1.5" flash hider on to make it 16" and keep the weight down.

you can get a A3 flat top model with either a 16" or 20" barrel

If you want a 20" barrel and want it light do not get a hbar you want a government profile barrel (you'll want that to in a 16" if you want it light) that is skinny under than hand guards or a just a light weight barrel

Last Edited:
I was in a similar situation and wound up buying a Smith & Wesson M&P 15OR with a 16 inch barrel, then bought a Bravo Company 20 inch upper to go with it. ( <broken link removed> ) I went with the standard BCG from BCM and their medium charging handle. It is light enough that I can carry it all day with a 30 round mag in it. The 20 inch upper sees much more use than the 16 inch. The one in seven twist handles the 70 grain Berger VLDs I toss down range very well.

(I'm almost two years older than you and in so-so shape)

I'm looking for an AR 15 type much like Bushmaster m4 type that would double as a camp defense gun but also as a light weight predator or varmint type. I'm 66 and in good health but I want to avoid packing weight. All I can think of are the Bushmaster's that are 16" barrels and these are ready for a scope rail or iron sights. But these are 20". Their Predator Carbine is 8 pounds! Any ideas? Thanks.
If you really want to get the weight down, I think you *may* have to build it yourself.

I'd find a complete lower, perhaps with one of the Ace skeleton stocks and then assemble the upper yourself (or take it to a smith). I think you'll need to probably nail down what exactly you're planning on doing with the gun as I think camp defense and predator hunting and varminting are three seperate things, especially when it comes to optics (and barrels, to a lesser degree).

If it were me, I'd find a 2-7x piece of glass, don't worry about iron sights, and get my hands on an 18" pencil profile barrel (likely to be threaded; just throw a thread protector on it or use a MUCH easier to find 20" pencil barrel and have it cut down). That will leave you enough velocity to get out far enough, and if you're predator hunting, you won't be taking a lot of shots anyway to where the accuracy of the barrel heating up will become problematic. Find an upper without a forward assist and that would be another couple of ounces you could shave off.

Then, if I figured I'd be getting into varminting with a gas gun, I'd just build a second upper that I wouldn't have to worry about weight with: probably a 24" barrel in .204 Ruger, but that's just me.

I ended up purchasing a Colt 6920 Socom for a grand. I was very impressed with the quality. Now, I have to figure out the optics. Thanks.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top