JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have .308's and the dies to reload them, but nothing in .30-06. Of course my nephew bought a .30-06 gun. :rolleyes:

Now I need to load some light loads for him, and I don't want to invest in .30-06 dies.

I was thinking of using my .308 dies to do a "partial neck sizing" and wonder if I can get away with this, until I need to bump the shoulders back anyway. Sound doable? Seater die should have no problem either, right?

Yes, just screw it down to where you just do a partial neck size and it will be fine. You can actually do most of the neck.
Keep them marked as to what rifle they have been fired from and all is fine.

Easy enough, just keep the die off the sholder! Keep the neck sized rounds separate, as with all neck sized rounds.
That said, I, also, think you would be better off to buy a die set.
Hey, have your nephew buy them!:D

A nephew with an eye patch is attractive. Or with missing fingers. At the worst, another nephew is probably cheap enough if it really goes wrong...certainly cheaper than dies.

"A nephew with an eye patch is attractive. Or with missing fingers. At the worst, another nephew is probably cheap enough if it really goes wrong...certainly cheaper than dies."

While I completely agree with the sentiment in regards to safety, there really is nothing inherently unsafe about neck-sizing and reloading 30-06 rounds with 308 dies, as long as you don't set the neck back by sizing too far down (and your loads are safe otherwise). You sound like you know enough about reloading to avoid doing that.

On the other hand, yes, 308 dies are cheap and plentiful. :)

Added- bolt action rifle? If so, neck sizing and using that brass for only that rifle should work great for several loadings.

Last Edited:
Sure.

You will get about 2-3 firings before headspace is super tight and in need of a slight shoulder bump. Then of course..... You need a 30-06 die.

Last Edited:
If your nephew was serious....he could buy the dies.

BTW....if your nephew is using a bolt action the ammo would likely work with just a neck size. Assuming that the used brass came from the same rifle. But, if he is using a semi auto (like an M1).....don't count on your reloads chambering correctly.

Aloha, Mark

Buy the 3006 dies for your nephew and teach him how to reload You'll be doing him a great favor. Plus spending quality time with him.
I wish someone would have taught me when I was a kid.

Good
Shooting

Definitely a bolt action. I get very conservative when reloading for a semi-auto. :eek:

What I really want my nephew to do is get rid of that gun (just a budget Remington that I can't warm up to) and get something like a .243 or 6.5 CM or .260 Rem. He fails the "ball and dummy" test... Anyway when you buy a gun it should be one you really like, not something to save a few bucks.

Too much recoil in factory loads. Remedy: either light reloads, or a lighter caliber. OK maybe adding weight too. But who wants to do that!

You can't spring for a set of dies?

Buy them now! Or in risk the inevitable expansion problems you will encounter after firing the brass a few times and hope you never experience more than a torn rim leaving the expanded case jammed in the chamber of your nephews new rifle.
Silver Hand

Actually all I need to do is wait a bit, and the dies will reproduce themselves on my loading shelf. No matter how much I try to keep this stuff to a low roar, my collection of calibers keeps increasing. I'm trying to fight it, like being on a diet.

Actually all I need to do is wait a bit, and the dies will reproduce themselves on my loading shelf. No matter how much I try to keep this stuff to a low roar, my collection of calibers keeps increasing. I'm trying to fight it, like being on a diet.
Like when you put that rifle in the safe and when you open it later in front of the wife she's says I don't remember you having all those rifles. Lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top