JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This rifle is an unknown to me, i don't know the mark(s) where it came from, whether it's safe to fire or it's history.

The pictures are quick snaps with my phone so they're not the best, but you can click for full size and i'm hoping someone can identify this, tell me about it, make, model, calibre etc.

Thanks.

20160717_173140.jpg 20160717_173158.jpg 20160717_173223.jpg 20160717_173228.jpg 20160717_173518.jpg 20160717_173624.jpg 20160717_173741.jpg 20160717_173755.jpg 20160717_173917.jpg

That would explain the box of 7x57 i have too.....

Bit more info, this is part of our families estate clear out these past couple of years, i have a random box of 7x57 and a few boxes of .303 British (see the other rifle thread i made)

Anything else you can say/tell me about it? I've never heard of, seen or obviously fired a Spanish Mauser before.

One of my favorite deer cartridges - based on the bolt it appears to me that it is either a 1893 or 1895 Mauser. Not as strong as a 98 Mauser so if you reload it is recommended to load to lower pressures. I have a couple of FN supreme Mauser rifles I hunt with in this cartridge. These small ring Mausers led the way to the US going to the 30-06 and 1903 Springfield rifles. A fun rifle.

I have one. Nice rifles, comparing it with a Krag it`s easy to see how it beat the Krag out in the Spanish American war. Your has the markings which shows it escaped the "refurbishment" process instituted under the Franco regime when the fascists took power in Spain after the Spanish civil war. They scrubbed royalist markings off the rifles and roughly stamped on a new serial number (sometimes twice over) and opened up the gas escape hole a bit. Mine has a sporterized stock and glossy black finish sloppily applied by the previous owner. You got a really nice find, sporters like mine go for about $350 as I`ve seen it.
EDIT TO ADD
It looks like yours has the same sporter stock as mine. I don`t remember for sure do son`t quote me but I seem to remember hearing that rifles like these were cut down professionally by the Bannerman company in the late 1950s after they bought the remaining stocks of 1893 Mausers from the Spanish government.

muPvMvU.jpg

XlHofzL.jpg

Hykjg09.jpg

Last Edited:
Hey, thanks for the extra info, looking at yours, i'm guessing this stock is sporterised too?

The sloppy/glossy black finish is also present on this one, maybe they were just that way?

Looks like yours has the same stock, I can`t comment on the finish, but it appears on mine to be something over the original. It`s a hard finish, that`s certain. To be brutally honest, the rifle doesn`t have much value left in it (I misspoke and didn`t look very closely at your photos, apologies). I got mine for $50 but yours looks to be in better condition, and similar rifles I`ve come across go for about $250. And, honestly, because the Fascists ruined the markings it will never be 100% original ever again. So, if you want an original 1893, buy one whole instead of rehabbing this one. It would cost more than the gun is worth. As a shooter it should be fine though.

So do you know if there is a way to tell if it's a '93 or a '95?

There is, or i would say it's been touched up in places, perhaps? Not detailed, but check the far right of the pic, just behind the rear sight 'block', it's rust coming through the finish.

20160717_173649.jpg

I have one. Nice rifles, comparing it with a Krag it`s easy to see how it beat the Krag out in the Spanish American war. Your has the markings which shows it escaped the "refurbishment" process instituted under the Franco regime when the fascists took power in Spain after the Spanish civil war. They scrubbed royalist markings off the rifles and roughly stamped on a new serial number (sometimes twice over) and opened up the gas escape hole a bit. Mine has a sporterized stock and glossy black finish sloppily applied by the previous owner. You got a really nice find, sporters like mine go for about $350 as I`ve seen it.
EDIT TO ADD
It looks like yours has the same sporter stock as mine. I don`t remember for sure do son`t quote me but I seem to remember hearing that rifles like these were cut down professionally by the Bannerman company in the late 1950s after they bought the remaining stocks of 1893 Mausers from the Spanish government.

View attachment 302907

View attachment 302908

View attachment 302909
Franco WAS a royalist. They scrubbed off the REPUBLICAN seals. But that is a 1952 rifle so it was 14 years after Franco won the Civil War and has the correct markings that I can see

Look at the bolt. An 1893 will have the bottom of the bolt face squared off, they went to a round bolt on the 1895.

I've seen military guns, albeit from later timeframes, that used this hard black paint as a finish. So I don't know if that's original (or at least arsenal applied) or someone's kitchen table refinish.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top