JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently acquired this AR barrel and I am having trouble identifying it. I have attached pictures of the markings on the barrel, a top profile and bottom profile view.

So far, my best guess is that it's chambered for 223/5.56 (as a 223 round appears to fit well into the chamber) and it has a 1-8 twist rate.

as for the manufacturer, I THINK "CLE" = Compass Lake Engineering.

What do you all think?

thank you

Markings.jpg Top.jpg Bottom.jpg

Do you have any idea what the markings mean?
Looked on the website of name you listed. You were correct. The information is on their website.

Match competitors usually choose the CLE chamber.
The CLE match chamber is basically the same as a .223 SAAMI spec chamber with a modified lead angle in the throat. The CLE chamber has
a 1.5 degree lead angle per side where the .223 is over 3 degrees. This allows for less bullet jump with out of the magazine ammo yet
still providing an advantageous lead angle for modern high ballistic coefficient bullets. The Wylde chamber is .002 bigger in the
cartridge case area and has a longer throat. On the average the CLE chamber will shoot 23% smaller groups with out of the magazine
ammo. The CLE match chamber will give better barrel life due to the shorter throat and gives slightly higher pressure.
There has been no problem shooting PMC, Lake City and IMI .556 Rounds out of the CLE chamber.
It is ultimately up to the shooter to determine the suitability of the ammo in a particular firearm.

Aren't those pin holes for a FSB?
No, these are more like scalloped cuts with a flat clamping surface. I have seen them before, but i don't remember what kind of gas block is used with them. If the barrel was also dimpled, I would just use a regular set screw style gas block, unfortunately that is not the case.

Looks like it's had a pinned gas/sight block on previously. Could go a different route like a set screw or clamp but why as the pinned version is the best.

Edit I see your response indicates it is not bored for pins. Must be some kind of proprietary system?

I have dimpled in the past with good results but, I would at least like to know what kind of gas block fits these clamping flats. I've been googling all morning, I can't give up till I know. LOL
I have seen that method too, just can't think of what it is. My guess is it is no longer a thing especially considering that barrel is from '99, 22 years is like 700 in AR years.

I have seen that method too, just can't think of what it is. My guess is it is no longer a thing especially considering that barrel is from '99, 22 years is like 700 in AR years.
HAHAHA! I was thinking the same thing. I'm still going to get to the bottom of this mystery. I'll let you all know when I figure it out.

Windage Adjustable (Edit to Add) Similar to the WOA, but uses 4 set-screws to adjust the windage.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top