JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a set of Peltors that I really like. They fit well, the amplifier is very clear and the automatic level control works better than all but the fancy $300 sets. Some of the really cheap ones will cut out for what seems like more than a second each time there is a loud noise. This makes holding a conversation difficult. With a good set, the cut-out is so short that you can hold a conversation comfortably right on a busy firing line. The only thing that I don't like about my Peltors is that the volume controls (one for each side) which double as on-off switches tend to turn on in my range bag. I always carry spare batteries - and am switching soon to NiMH rechargeables - because once or twice a year I wind up with dead or weak batteries when I put them on at the range. I've been seriously considering mounting a recessed on-off switch on them. I've got a Dremel and a soldering iron and I'm not afraid to use them... :)

Hearing damage is a tricky thing. Damage done early in a person's life, like when they were in their teens or 20's, might not actually surface and cause you problems until later in life, when you get to say 50.

So a person may abuse their hearing early in life, and think that they are OK, when in reality, that damage will surface later.

This is why it is so very critical to have any kids that are learning to shoot and/or hunt, and any teens get used to using hearing protection. Otherwise, they could easily find themselves screwed when they get older.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned PRO EARS.

http://www.proears.com/

I was not at all impressed with the fit and comfort of Peltor. And the NRR rating on both these recommended Peltor and Howard Leight models is very mediocre: 22 for the Leight and only 20 for the Peltor.

In contrast, the standard PRO EARS GOLD offers 30 NRR, and even their thinner tactical model offers NRR 28 protection.

So I went with a PRO EARS GOLD because of:

1) Higher NRR protection
2) Comfort
3) It is the only one of these MADE IN THE USA

Yes, it costs twice the price of the PELTOR, which is made in Europe, and way, way more than the Leight, which is made in China. While their listed suggested retail prices are over $300, the fact is that you can get them from places like Amazon.com for $219 to $240, depending on the model.

Now PRO EARS does have a less expensive and less capable product line called the PRO series. And their PRO 300 model sells for basically the same prices as the Peltor, except that it too, is made in the USA. So if you want something similar to the Peltor in performance and price, but made in the USA, the PRO EARS Pro Series offers that.

. 642956.jpg

But in my opinion, getting a GOLD series PRO EARS model was worth spending the extra $110 over Peltor. At least it was to me.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned PRO EARS.

http://www.proears.com/

I was not at all impressed with the fit and comfort of Peltor. And the NRR rating on both these recommended Peltor and Howard Leight models is very mediocre: 22 for the Leight and only 20 for the Peltor.

In contrast, the standard PRO EARS GOLD offers 30 NRR, and even their thinner tactical model offers NRR 28 protection.

So I went with a PRO EARS GOLD because of:

1) Higher NRR protection
2) Comfort
3) It is the only one of these MADE IN THE USA

Yes, it costs twice the price of the PELTOR, which is made in Europe, and way, way more than the Leight, which is made in China. While their listed suggested retail prices are over $300, the fact is that you can get them from places like Amazon.com for $219 to $240, depending on the model.

Now PRO EARS does have a less expensive and less capable product line called the PRO series. And their PRO 300 model sells for basically the same prices as the Peltor, except that it too, is made in the USA. So if you want something similar to the Peltor in performance and price, but made in the USA, the PRO EARS Pro Series offers that.

.View attachment 254289

But in my opinion, getting a GOLD series PRO EARS model was worth spending the extra $110 over Peltor. At least it was to me.

Has anyone tried the low profile ones with the band that fits under a hat? http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ears-Behind-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B003U5MK5K
I have a set of Peltors that are very similar but if these are substantially better I'm on board.

I use a combination of ProTac 200's and earplugs.

Though these are only rated at 19dB, the combination is quite effective, and I find the amplification allows me to hear the RSO through the earplugs.

For your concern of electronic failure, I believe the additional protection of the earplugs should offer reassurance.

I have the pro ears tac pro with the behind the head band which are very good. Sound quality is great and being able to tune each ear separately is nice. The ear cup is inverted and has a concave lower portion to help with clearance for good cheek weld.

I went to a college women's Volleyball game tonight (my daughter-in-law is the coach). It's so loud in that gymnasium that it makes your teeth hurt! I wore my SureFire ear pro 7 plugs and no problem at all! Two hours of perfect comfort.

We won BTW,:D

I went to a college women's Volleyball game tonight (my daughter-in-law is the coach). It's so loud in that gymnasium that it makes your teeth hurt! I wore my SureFire ear pro 7 plugs and no problem at all! Two hours of perfect comfort.

We won BTW,:D

Those plugs sure look like they are a great affordable option. Which size did you get? Was the medium size a good fit for you?

I might want to get these and put one in my left ear, underneath my muffs, to give it extra protection at the range.

Yeah, Lance. I wear the medium. My original intent was to wear them under my muffs but most times the 28dcb work alone. Magnums or big bores start going off I add the muffs! Using both systems is very versatile!

BTW, I broke the rubber outer portion of the plug off last night but the pair came with two spares so still good to go! They also sell spare kits. Good luck with yours!

I cannot speak for myself but I went on a guided hunt a few years back and there was one fella there that was using electronic muffs and the volume control rolled on the stock of his rifle as he settled into look through the scope. He shot, and heard the loudest 'bang' he ever heard. His ear doctor told him not to go hunting or be around any loud noises for 2 months. (Needless to say I met him two weeks later at hunting camp).
I have thought long and hard about shooting with electronic muffs, but this fella said he never will again, and will always tell people not to if they ask his opinion. Granted, I only ever talked to this guy from 2 to 3 weeks after it happened. But it has been enough for me to always plug and muff. (No electronic here either, though I do consider it from time to time).

Never been a fan of the electric muffs. Or muffs in general. Been shooting with a set of these for as long as I could remember.

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/airsoft
I got tons of them for free as they were issued to us when working the tarmac at the airport. Figured if they were good enough for jet turbines, they should be good for shooting.

I never wear hearing protection when I hunt. Oddly enough it has never seemed to affect me yet.

Better link to the ones I use.

http://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.c...19/Hearing-Protection/AirSoft-Earplugs-Corded

Yeah, Lance. I wear the medium. My original intent was to wear them under my muffs but most times the 28dcb work alone. Magnums or big bores start going off I add the muffs! Using both systems is very versatile!

BTW, I broke the rubber outer portion of the plug off last night but the pair came with two spares so still good to go! They also sell spare kits. Good luck with yours!

Thanks. It sure looks like a great product. I will definitely try it out.

My left ear is in pretty bad shape, so I would really like to give it max protection.

I cannot speak for myself but I went on a guided hunt a few years back and there was one fella there that was using electronic muffs and the volume control rolled on the stock of his rifle as he settled into look through the scope. He shot, and heard the loudest 'bang' he ever heard. His ear doctor told him not to go hunting or be around any loud noises for 2 months. (Needless to say I met him two weeks later at hunting camp).
I have thought long and hard about shooting with electronic muffs, but this fella said he never will again, and will always tell people not to if they ask his opinion. Granted, I only ever talked to this guy from 2 to 3 weeks after it happened. But it has been enough for me to always plug and muff. (No electronic here either, though I do consider it from time to time).
His muffs must have been faulty or very cheap. When you turn up the volume they should still work in the same manner they just amplify the ambient noise.
I would give them a second look and don't go cheap. If you ever shoot alone at public places it is hard to really relax and pay attention to shooting when you cant hear what's around you.

For hunting, I think that these SureFire ear pro 7 plugs that Sgt Nambu recommends would be ideal. They have none of the bulk of muffs, and have no electronics in them that can malfunction. Yet, their noise protection is rated at 28 NRR, which is quite good.

His muffs must have been faulty or very cheap. When you turn up the volume they should still work in the same manner they just amplify the ambient noise.
I would give them a second look and don't go cheap. If you ever shoot alone at public places it is hard to really relax and pay attention to shooting when you cant hear what's around you.

There is a lot of cheap junk being made in China. One really needs to be picky, and go with an established name brand product.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top