JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Either way, until someone can provide an ORS that prohibits things... It stands as accurate.
I don't trust that site personally. Look how
much improper grammar/broken English there is in the first paragraph alone. A law firm must be accurate and this almost looks like one of those Russian sites where they combine a bunch of info from other sites and try to stitch it together with broken English. I will pay no attention to that site and I can't imagine a reputable law firm putting out something like this. More like "better call Saul" grade, or more likely "better caul Boris".

5AD5A74E-F4FC-4B76-AF2F-6AA014F8B2A2.jpeg

Last Edited:
I don't trust that site personally. Look how
much improper grammar/broken English there is in the first paragraph alone. A law firm must be accurate and this almost looks like one of those Russian sites where they combine a bunch of info from other sites and try to stitch it together with broken English. I will pay no attention to that site and I can't imagine a reputable law firm putting out something like this. More like "better call Saul" grade, or more likely "better caul Boris".

View attachment 1357786
But did they drop anything new?

But did they drop anything new?
Don't know. Didn't read it and won't read it in future even if they have appealing drop down menus. Site has to be credible to consider their info. Especially if a law firm. I think that site creator might have dropped off a turnip truck.

HB2007, HB2704, and companion in the Senate, SB686 will restrict CHL carry in any public place if the owner of the property, or the manager of the public property doesn't want you to carry. This will even cover the area around the property. If passed, you could become a felon for driving past a grocery store, theater, public library, or any number of places, even with a CHL. Both bills are in their respective judiciary committees. You can email and call the committee members. That is unless you're a "gray man", are invisible, and don't care about any laws because you can't be caught.

Don't know. Didn't read it and won't read it in future even if they have appealing drop down menus.

Agreed, it looks suspect.
It could be. I didn't care so much about what they were saying so much as using it as a rough topic guide "directory" to the actual applicable statute to read for myself.

I found that helpful vs. trying to pour through the entire statutes trying find the info I was looking for.

YMMV

If someone can find an Oregon Revised Statute that expressly prohibits the concealed carry of any weapons except that covered by the handgun license (limited to handguns obviously)... I'd like to see that.
Maybe you can make the argument...

But in this state, do you really want chance it by maybe illegally concealing a SBR???

Over the difference between these more or less?

0125231902a.jpg 0109232242.jpg

Maybe you can make the argument...

But in this state, do you really want chance it by maybe illegally concealing a SBR???

Over the difference between these more or less?

View attachment 1358996 View attachment 1358997
I am less concerned about big guns like those with a buffer. I understand the benefits of a buffer for higher recoil weapons like .308 for which the buffer system was designed (ie to make the AR10 lower recoil but still lightweight rifle, the buffer system was then carried over when they downsized the ar10 to make the ar15) but I don't see any benefit of having a buffer on lower recoil guns like 556 or PCCs.

I'm focusing on smaller weapons that can be on your person or in vehicle. Adding a stock or brace roughly triples the range you can shoot accurately at from my experience (and others as well). So what I'm trying to figure out is how to weigh the potential drawback of sbring a pistol (ie turning it "officially" into a rifle) vs not sbring it and hoping for the brace rule to be overturned. I hope that makes sense I may not have explained it very clearly.

For these prior to 1/31/23 they were considered pistols and also would be if brace rule is overturned. But if you make them an sbr I wonder if that means you always have a rifle? I suppose if it was approved as an sbr, then rule overturned, you could detach the brace/stock and inform atf it's no longer a sbr.

Mp5k with folding brace
C3E262DE-B286-4A39-AA35-DAFE0371230A.png

556 Brn-180 10.5" with folding brace (gun is about 1" to 1.5" longer than a regular mp5 when both have stocks folded).

Glocks or sig p320 with a brace

On the other hand some of the cool Glock/320 chassis are sbr only such as b&t or flux raider.
93A226D9-D003-4443-A6C6-0AD711C3229E.png

Last Edited:
I am less concerned about big guns like those with a buffer. I'm looking at smaller weapons that can be on your person or in vehicle. Adding a stock or brace roughly triples the range you can shoot accurately at from my experience (and others as well).

For these prior to 1/31/23 they were considered pistols and also would be if brace rule is overturned. But if you make them an sbr I wonder if that means you always have a rifle? I suppose if it was approved as an sbr, then rule overturned, you could detach the brace/stock and inform atf it's no longer a sbr.

Mp5k with folding brace
View attachment 1359016

556 Brn-180 10.5" with folding brace

Glocks or sig p320 with a brace

On the other hand some of the cool Glock/320 chassis are sbr only such as b&t or flux raider.
View attachment 1359018
Let us look to history.

There was a debate from TC Contender owners and the ATF because at that time, the TC Contender was one of the few handguns chambered in rifle cartridges; and had a quick change system where you could swap the handgun grip to a shoulder stock, and swap the barrel to a 16+ rifle barrel... the ATF at that time agreed that it was perfectly legal to go "handgun/pistol to rifle then back to handgun/pistol" but maintained that as long as it didn't undergo a NFA configuration (rifle stock plus handgun barrel for example); it would not be considered an illegal SBR. However... they also maintain that "once a rifle, always a rifle" thereby making it just about impossible for a person to simply swap from a 16+ barreled upper and stock to a pistol configuration on an AR.

Edit. So from a certain point of view, if you remove the brace, or the chassis/add on from a Glock system to go back to a handgun, you're 100% OK. Depending on the rule lawsuits; you might still be 100% OK with the brace/chassis as long as it doesn't have a VFG. Or you install a 16" Glock barrel then swap for a real stock on the chassis :rolleyes:

Let us look to history.

There was a debate from TC Contender owners and the ATF because at that time, the TC Contender was one of the few handguns chambered in rifle cartridges; and had a quick change system where you could swap the handgun grip to a shoulder stock, and swap the barrel to a 16+ rifle barrel... the ATF at that time agreed that it was perfectly legal to go "handgun/pistol to rifle then back to handgun/pistol" but maintained that as long as it didn't undergo a NFA configuration (rifle stock plus handgun barrel for example); it would not be considered an illegal SBR. However... they also maintain that "once a rifle, always a rifle" thereby making it just about impossible for a person to simply swap from a 16+ barreled upper and stock to a pistol configuration on an AR.
But if you got a stripped lower let's say, and you originally manufactured that to be a pistol. You could then add a 16" barrel and make it a rifle. You could then change it back to a pistol. For the sake of argument let's say you never registered it as an sbr and this was a year before the brace rule came out.

My understanding is as long as it was originally manufactured as a pistol it can be converted from a pistol, then to a rifle, then back to a pistol. If it was originally manufactured as a rifle then you are stuck with it being a rifle always.

But if you got a stripped lower let's say, and you originally manufactured that to be a pistol. You could then add a 16" barrel and make it a rifle. You could then change it back to a pistol. For the sake of argument let's say you never registered it as an sbr and this was a year before the brace rule came out.

My understanding is as long as it was originally manufactured as a pistol it can be converted from a pistol, then to a rifle, then back to a pistol. If it was originally manufactured as a rifle then you are stuck with it being a rifle always.
This is correct as far as I know. Edit. As far as I can tell; there's nothing in NFA that says a SBR cannot be made from a pistol/other lower/receiver but the only thing is a handgun cannot be made from a rifle receiver; that falls under NFA somewhere (SBR or AOW?)

Last Edited:
There was that one gator in the song

Battle of New Orleans Song

In eighteen fourteen we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip'.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans,
And we fought the bloody British near the town of New Orleans.

Chorus:
We fired our guns but the British kept a comin'.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began a runnin',
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

We looked down the river and we seen the British come,
And there must have been a hundred of 'em beatin' on the drum.
They stepped so high and they made their bugles ring.
We stood behind our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.
- Chorus

Ol' Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise,
If we didn't fire our muskets 'til we looked 'em in the eyes.
We held our fire 'til we seen their faces well,
Then we opened up our squirrel guns and really gave 'em ... Well, ...
- Chorus

We fired our cannons 'til the barrel melted down,
Then we grabbed an alligator and we fired another round.
We filled his mouth with cannon balls and powdered his behind,
And when we set the powder off the 'gator lost his mind. oh, ...

- Chorus

They ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles.
They ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast, the hounds couldn't catch 'em,
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.
- Chorus

Last Edited:
It's been said already, but Oregon statute does not prohibit concealed long guns.

I remember a now-retired LE friend of mine pulling a guy over who he knew was a dirtbag (but not a convicted felon, yet…), and they found a concealed and loaded shotgun behind the seat of his standard-cab pickup. My friend wanted so bad to arrest him, but the guy had not broken the law and therefore went free…

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads