JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Just switching gears and for clarification.... so say you have a breakdown rifle in something like a tactical backpack. When and where "would" it be legal to carry with or without a CHL?

IE., Does that qualify as not readily accessible? While engaged in legally allowed activities in the great outdoors... a permit would be required?

I'm more confused now than when the thread started. ;)

Just switching gears and for clarification.... so say you have a breakdown rifle in something like a tactical backpack. When and where "would" it be legal to carry with or without a CHL?

IE., Does that qualify as not readily accessible? While engaged in legally allowed activities in the great outdoors... a permit would be required?

I'm more confused now than when the thread started. ;)
I think if its not loaded it'll be OK? :s0092: :s0092: :s0092: :s0092:

Edit. We know that supposedly Oregon is mostly "open carry is legal" with the exceptions of needing a CHL for certain towns/cities/counties but State Forests and National forests should be 100% OK to have open loaded carry of any firearms...

I think if its not loaded it'll be OK? :s0092: :s0092: :s0092: :s0092:

Edit. We know that supposedly Oregon is mostly "open carry is legal" with the exceptions of needing a CHL for certain towns/cities/counties but State Forests and National forests should be 100% OK to have open loaded carry of any firearms...
I imagine it would be... but... yeah. Unload AIN'T gonna happen. 🤣

I guess I'm thinking more of how "concealed", "readily accessible" and permit requirements might interact with "engaged in legal recreational activities". Just kinda reading so far makes the head spin and might be indicating it would still require a permit?? The statues aren't really outlining any qualifications/exceptions, but.... other statues that seemingly allow it??

What spurred the question was say... an under 21" (unable to obtain a CHL) with his loaded brake down rifle in his tactical backpack out hiking around out fishin... that's a no-no unless he's old enough and has a valid CHL or open carrying?

Or is all this just another version of self diagnosing with webMD. (reading too much into every tiny statute to our own detriment(?))

Can you cite specific ordinances and ORS that says only open carry of long arms are allowed, with some places limiting that to CHL holders?
It doesn't. It states you can't have a concealed pistol firearm without a CHL, and it states open carry is allowed. Open carry can be prohibited by local jurisdictions for those without.

Last Edited:
I think it's helpful to exclude municipality or county-specific restrictions, other wise it's too hard to understand. I'm looking for statewide restrictions only. Basically I'm trying to figure out what, if any, guns that are currently pistols will no longer be legal to carry concealed if they are converted to sbrs for a chl holder.

I see in post #6 that a gun that designed to be shouldered cannot be concealed under that law If I'm reading it correctly: "...and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder." Before the brace rule, it seems to me that a pistol with brace would be fine in terms of this specific law. But with ATFs new redefintion of a rifle BS, seems like this would now be a conflict. Now lets say it's overturned in court (or even enjoined). If it wasn't registered as an sbr it would go back to being ok for this law. But if you had registered it as an sbr it's now a rifle and would be a conflict, even if this law is overturned. I think.?

Similarly trying to figure out if carrying loaded pistol in vehicle by CHL holder would be affected. As far as I can tell so far this would not be effected because rifles are already o.k.

It doesn't. It states you can't have a concealed pistol without a CHL, and it states open carry is allowed. Open carry can be prohibited by local jurisdictions for those without.
As @v0lcom13sn0w pointed out; ORS 166.250 does seem to indicate that any concealed firearm must be limited to CHL holders

Relevant excerpt from ORS 166.250...

"
a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a)

Carries any firearm concealed upon the person; " with the exception for CHLs (ORS 166.260)

As @v0lcom13sn0w pointed out; ORS 166.250 does seem to indicate that any concealed firearm must be limited to CHL holders

Relevant excerpt from ORS 166.250...

"
a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a)

Carries any firearm concealed upon the person; " with the exception for CHLs (ORS 166.260)
Yup. Sorry, I'm going to edit.

I think it's helpful to exclude municipality or county-specific restrictions, other wise it's too hard to understand. I'm looking for statewide restrictions only. Basically I'm trying to figure out what, if any, guns that are currently pistols will no longer be legal to carry concealed if they are converted to sbrs for a chl holder.

I see in post #6 that a gun that designed to be shouldered cannot be concealed under that law If I'm reading it correctly: "...and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder." Before the brace rule, it seems to me that a pistol with brace would be fine in terms of this specific law. But with ATFs new redefintion of a rifle BS, seems like this would now be a conflict. Now lets say it's overturned in court (or even enjoined). If it wasn't registered as an sbr it would go back to being ok for this law. But if you had registered it as an sbr it's now a rifle and would be a conflict, even if this law is overturned. I think.?

Similarly trying to figure out if carrying loaded pistol in vehicle by CHL holder would be affected. As far as I can tell so far this would not be effected because rifles are already o.k.
Oregon doesn't have any prohibition against rifles other than they can't be concealed without a CHL. ORS also states that with a CHL, local laws do not apply, such as loaded firearms in public.

Oregon also has some prohibition against loaded firearms on a UTV. I'm not sure on the ordinance as I don't UTV, but I do not believe it's included in 166.

But if you had registered it as an sbr it's now a rifle and would be a conflict, even if this law is overturned. I think.?

That would be my understanding. There is a process for having your tax stamp marked as "inactive" in the national registry (vs removed), but that also requires a reconfiguration into a non SBR so.... not really a valid option if your intent is to keep your "now SBR" as it is. It'll remain an SBR even when the rule is tossed.

im gonna just throw this out there…in my opinion open carry is a bad idea. i see people open carrying all the time in town where i live. it doesnt bother me, its their right. open carry just isnt for me.

there was a road rage video a couple days ago where a 60 year old man driving an SUV pulls up on a guy on a street bike who is open carrying. the man steals bikers weapon then runs his bike over, leads the cops on a chase, fires 1 shot at cops then flees the cops for a short time directly into a brick wall

Oregon doesn't have any prohibition against rifles other than they can't be concealed without a CHL. ORS also states that with a CHL, local laws do not apply, such as loaded firearms in public.

Oregon also has some prohibition against loaded firearms on a UTV. I'm not sure on the ordinance as I don't UTV, but I do not believe it's included in 166.
atleast while hunting, if you have your CHL you may carry loaded when operating an OHV. page 14 oregon big game regulations.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads