JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just texted a cop friend and he said airports are private businesses and carrying is not forbidden if you don't pass the security gates.

Food for thought: Why is a government entity such as the TSA running security for a private business?

Anyone on here ever open carried at the airport?

I never have. I'm sure there are some uniformed officers on here that have. But if you aren't wearing a uniform, and you just want to play cowboy, I'ld imagine they might not think it's too cool. You might get a swat team called in on you.

I just texted a cop friend and he said airports are private businesses and carrying is not forbidden if you don't pass the security gates.

Food for thought: Why is a government entity such as the TSA running security for a private business?

Because gubmint need to be involved in everything.

You know to make it work so well, just like every other agency....

And to think they are going to control our heath care....:huh:

Can you let me know when you're going to open carry at PDX? I would like to see what happens from a distance! :s0001:

Conceal carry? Yes, it's legal. I do it all the time and I'll wait for my friends right outside the security gates while carrying. If it's truly concealed, nobody, including the Port of Portland will see it, so you can't be hassled, right?

Cop friend is wrong. The Port of Seattle, and, I presume, the Port of Portland, are not private businesses. The POS is a port district, approved by the voters of King County and is governed by 5 elected commissioners. I'm guessing Portland is similar.

Cop friend is wrong. The Port of Seattle, and, I presume, the Port of Portland, are not private businesses. The POS is a port district, approved by the voters of King County and is governed by 5 elected commissioners. I'm guessing Portland is similar.

You are correct, as far as I could find out in a quick search.

"A nine-member commission, appointed by the Governor of Oregon and ratified by the Oregon Senate, sets Port policy during its monthly meetings." From the Port's " <broken link removed> " page. This leads me to believe the Port is a governmental entity of some sort, not a private business.

They had tried to prohibit carrying firearms (including concealed). This was illegal as they are a state entity. The policy has been changed. I still wouldn't open carry there.

That seems sensible. With all of the continuing issues at airports since 9/11, open carry in an airport would likely cause a lot of angst with many, and would just annoy others. It seems to me that open carry in an airport is just too much "in your face" stuff, and does nothing to put a positive spin on the public's view of responsible gun owners.

No problem with concealed carry, where it is legal. You get a warm fuzzy, and no one is the wiser. Isn't that what it's all about?

I have OCed at SEATAC but only in the passenger drop off/pick up area. There was a guy who OCed inside SEATAC a year or so ago and even though he was only in a stairwell connected with the parking garage and not even near the secure location he was disarmed and assaulted by security in front of his kid. He was later released after being held and threatened for an hour or so. He recounted his event on OCDO

They have "no weapons" policies there but as far as I've been able to find out they have no legal authority to do so, but they still try (like Oregon universities). It'll probably take someone getting arrested/hassled and a court case to get official clarification if someone wants to be the guinea pig and open carry there.
The body scanners are inside the secured area and you can't carry anything in there.

The Port of Seattle realizes OC/CC is legal but they reserve the right to harass anyone I guess.

http://www.portseattle.org/downloads/seatac/rulereg4-13-10.pdf

16. Firearms and Explosives:

a. No person may carry firearms on or about the Airport except as allowed by federal and state law.

According to OCDO, if you OC at Seatac you will get lots of love and attention from the Port of Seattle police, TSA and Air Marshalls.

Asked to leave SeaTac Airport

Arrested, Un-arrested, and Trespassed from SeaTac Airport

The second thread is from 2008, before the PoS revised their policy.

As a 15 year airline employee, let me share with you some advice: DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. Airports are a mess of federal/stale/local regulations. There is a STRONG possibility that if you are caught with a weapon, the TSA and the FBI will get involved. I saw it happen in 2003. There was a guy that was at the airport that was there to pick up his old, old, lady of a mother. He bent over and someone say his holster. The police were called. The TSA stuck their nose in the whole bit and eventually the FBI was involved. It was a mess for the guy...

His mother was a frequent flier on the airline that I worked for at the time. She always mentioned what a hassle her son got in to.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top