JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depending on the situation you CAN loose your license. If you get a DUI you can loose it, even if you are not CCing. Bottom line is if you are stupid the police see that and assume your not a safe/smart person. Same thing with pot or any other drugs.

I have studied Oregon gun laws quite a bit, as I'm sure some of you have, and haven't seen any laws against drinking and concealed carry. I have had 2 run ins with the police while I was carrying and drinking, and didn't have any problems.. stemming from the weapon at least. While its not the smartest thing to do, its not illegal.

I DID A LITTLE SEARCHING AND THIS IS WHAT I COULD FIND.......

RCW 66.44.100
Opening or consuming liquor in public place — Penalty.

Except as permitted by this title, no person shall open the package containing liquor or consume liquor in a public place. Every person who violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of a class 3 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW.

WHATS A PUBLIC PLACE?????

RCW 66.04.010

(35) "Public place" includes streets and alleys of incorporated cities and towns; state or county or township highways or roads; buildings and grounds used for school purposes; public dance halls and grounds adjacent thereto; those parts of establishments where beer may be sold under this title, soft drink establishments, public buildings, public meeting halls, lobbies, halls and dining rooms of hotels, restaurants, theatres, stores, garages and filling stations which are open to and are generally used by the public and to which the public is permitted to have unrestricted access; railroad trains, stages, and other public conveyances of all kinds and character, and the depots and waiting rooms used in conjunction therewith which are open to unrestricted use and access by the public; publicly owned bathing beaches, parks, and/or playgrounds; and all other places of like or similar nature to which the general public has unrestricted right of access, and which are generally used by the public.

WILL THEY TAKE MY GUN IF I AM DRUNK????

RCW 9.41.098
Forfeiture of firearms — Disposition — Confiscation.

(1) The superior courts and the courts of limited jurisdiction of the state may order forfeiture of a firearm which is proven to be:
(e) In the possession of a person who is in any place in which a concealed pistol license is required, and who is under the influence of any drug or under the influence of intoxicating liquor, as defined in chapter 46.61 RCW

BUT THEN I FOUND THIS......

RCW 46.61.266
Pedestrians under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

A law enforcement officer may offer to transport a pedestrian who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or any drug and who is walking or moving along or within the right-of-way of a public roadway, unless the pedestrian is to be taken into protective custody under RCW 70.96A.120.

The law enforcement officer offering to transport an intoxicated pedestrian under this section shall:

(1) Transport the intoxicated pedestrian to a safe place; or

(2) Release the intoxicated pedestrian to a competent person.

The law enforcement officer shall take no action if the pedestrian refuses this assistance. No suit or action may be commenced or prosecuted against the law enforcement officer, law enforcement agency, the state of Washington, or any political subdivision of the state for any act resulting from the refusal of the pedestrian to accept this assistance.

RCW 70.96A.120
Treatment programs and facilities — Admissions — Peace officer duties — Protective custody.

(2) Except for a person who may be apprehended for possible violation of laws not relating to alcoholism, drug addiction, or intoxication and except for a person who may be apprehended for possible violation of laws relating to driving or being in physical control of a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug and except for a person who may wish to avail himself or herself of the provisions of RCW 46.20.308, a person who appears to be incapacitated or gravely disabled by alcohol or other drugs and who is in a public place or who has threatened, attempted, or inflicted physical harm on himself, herself, or another, shall be taken into protective custody by a peace officer or staff designated by the county and as soon as practicable, but in no event beyond eight hours brought to an approved treatment program for treatment. If no approved treatment program is readily available he or she shall be taken to an emergency medical service customarily used for incapacitated persons. The peace officer or staff designated by the county, in detaining the person and in taking him or her to an approved treatment program, is taking him or her into protective custody and shall make every reasonable effort to protect his or her health and safety. In taking the person into protective custody, the detaining peace officer or staff designated by the county may take reasonable steps including reasonable force if necessary to protect himself or herself or effect the custody. A taking into protective custody under this section is not an arrest. No entry or other record shall be made to indicate that the person has been arrested or charged with a crime.

I GUESS THE BOTTOM LINE IS.... DONT DO IT.. DOING SO CAN ONLY LEAD TO BAD THINGS...

Just so everyone in Oregon doesn't get confused those are Washington statutes.

I DID A LITTLE SEARCHING AND THIS IS WHAT I COULD FIND.......

RCW 66.44.100
Opening or consuming liquor in public place — Penalty.

Except as permitted by this title, no person shall open the package containing liquor or consume liquor in a public place. Every person who violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of a class 3 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW.

WHATS A PUBLIC PLACE?????

RCW 66.04.010

(35) "Public place" includes streets and alleys of incorporated cities and towns; state or county or township highways or roads; buildings and grounds used for school purposes; public dance halls and grounds adjacent thereto; those parts of establishments where beer may be sold under this title, soft drink establishments, public buildings, public meeting halls, lobbies, halls and dining rooms of hotels, restaurants, theatres, stores, garages and filling stations which are open to and are generally used by the public and to which the public is permitted to have unrestricted access; railroad trains, stages, and other public conveyances of all kinds and character, and the depots and waiting rooms used in conjunction therewith which are open to unrestricted use and access by the public; publicly owned bathing beaches, parks, and/or playgrounds; and all other places of like or similar nature to which the general public has unrestricted right of access, and which are generally used by the public.

WILL THEY TAKE MY GUN IF I AM DRUNK????

RCW 9.41.098
Forfeiture of firearms — Disposition — Confiscation.

(1) The superior courts and the courts of limited jurisdiction of the state may order forfeiture of a firearm which is proven to be:
(e) In the possession of a person who is in any place in which a concealed pistol license is required, and who is under the influence of any drug or under the influence of intoxicating liquor, as defined in chapter 46.61 RCW

BUT THEN I FOUND THIS......

RCW 46.61.266
Pedestrians under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

A law enforcement officer may offer to transport a pedestrian who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or any drug and who is walking or moving along or within the right-of-way of a public roadway, unless the pedestrian is to be taken into protective custody under RCW 70.96A.120.

The law enforcement officer offering to transport an intoxicated pedestrian under this section shall:

(1) Transport the intoxicated pedestrian to a safe place; or

(2) Release the intoxicated pedestrian to a competent person.

The law enforcement officer shall take no action if the pedestrian refuses this assistance. No suit or action may be commenced or prosecuted against the law enforcement officer, law enforcement agency, the state of Washington, or any political subdivision of the state for any act resulting from the refusal of the pedestrian to accept this assistance.

RCW 70.96A.120
Treatment programs and facilities — Admissions — Peace officer duties — Protective custody.

(2) Except for a person who may be apprehended for possible violation of laws not relating to alcoholism, drug addiction, or intoxication and except for a person who may be apprehended for possible violation of laws relating to driving or being in physical control of a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug and except for a person who may wish to avail himself or herself of the provisions of RCW 46.20.308, a person who appears to be incapacitated or gravely disabled by alcohol or other drugs and who is in a public place or who has threatened, attempted, or inflicted physical harm on himself, herself, or another, shall be taken into protective custody by a peace officer or staff designated by the county and as soon as practicable, but in no event beyond eight hours brought to an approved treatment program for treatment. If no approved treatment program is readily available he or she shall be taken to an emergency medical service customarily used for incapacitated persons. The peace officer or staff designated by the county, in detaining the person and in taking him or her to an approved treatment program, is taking him or her into protective custody and shall make every reasonable effort to protect his or her health and safety. In taking the person into protective custody, the detaining peace officer or staff designated by the county may take reasonable steps including reasonable force if necessary to protect himself or herself or effect the custody. A taking into protective custody under this section is not an arrest. No entry or other record shall be made to indicate that the person has been arrested or charged with a crime.

I GUESS THE BOTTOM LINE IS.... DONT DO IT.. DOING SO CAN ONLY LEAD TO BAD THINGS...

as it should be. you don't forfeit your right to personal security and life by having a couple drinks. i don't drink, but if i did, i wouldn't not carry a gun because i wanted to have some beers- that's ridiculous.

I'm glad its not illegal, especially with the great micro-brews in OR.
I have been carrying when we stop in to a bar for a beer. But, since I am carrying I will only have one and have ordered water while my friends have a few more, carrying has curbed my drinking, but I am glad it doesn't prohibit me from having anything to drink.

If you pay with a CCard, and if they choose to pass BigBrother laws, Cops could come to check if I am carrying as soon as I pay for one beer... Its like wearing the ankle monitor.

I think carrying and driving Drunk are stupid actions and should be penalized, but I also like making my own good decisions for myself. So I'm glad that I haven't yet heard of a drunk served-in-public shootings ... just the "got drunk at home then tried to rob a bar without a CC" stories.

I believe you are allowed to carry (concealed) while intoxicated.

I don't know of any law against it. Not a good idea though.

I could be totally wrong though..............

Why not the cops do it here then shoot someone while off duty claim they were sealing their truck no evidence the guy had been any where near the truck , no prints or d.n.a. and get off scott free.

in OR you can carry into a bar, but not drink, let alone get drunk.

In WA you can't even carry into a bar, let alone be drunk.

I have seen the RCW about entering a bar or other drinking establishment with an age limit of 21 and older. I do not recall any RCW that addresses carrying while intoxicated though. Personally I wouldn't carry if I was intoxicated, but as far as I know there is no law against it in WA.

Hmm, I didn't read all the way down before posting. So I may be wrong. Good thing I don't carry while intoxicated. ;)

What a giggle.
It's obviously illegal to be drunk in public, carrying or not.
And it's obviously going to PO any LEO who collars you and finds your hogleg.
And it will reflect badly on the whole CCW community if you drink & carry.
So what was the question, exactly?

Heck, I won't even drink and DRESS.

Now, where were we?
I have some time before my flight so I'm catching up on the forum goings-on after spending this past week in Seoul, Korea. Since I have to be disarmed the whole time I'm here, and since this is a real hard-drinking culture, ....

Well, I've been 'festive' with my colleagues for five consecutive nights out after work, sort of like a college flashback. A "flashblackout?"

My Glock is one 'intimate partner,' and Korean soju is another. I'm not allowed to date them both at the same time, although 'serial monogamy' is permissible. Good idea to keep them 5,000 miles apart at all times.

And BTW, Seoul is an incredibly safe place to wander alone and lost at night.:)

What a giggle.
It's obviously illegal to be drunk in public, carrying or not.
False. Not in Oregon. There is no criminal statute that prohibits being drunk in public. A cop could, however, place a civil detox hold on you until you are sober.
And it's obviously going to PO any LEO who collars you and finds your hogleg.
True. And they will probably put your gun into police property making it a pain to get back.
And it will reflect badly on the whole CCW community if you drink & carry.
True, if you are drinking and people find out you are carrying.

False. Not in Oregon. There is no criminal statute that prohibits being drunk in public. A cop could, however, place a civil detox hold on you until you are sober.

Wow. Thanks for the info! Surely, though, if you attract a LEO's attention he'll find a way to write you up. There may be no "D&D" in Oregon, but can't he take you in for disorderly conduct anyway?

You should see it here in Seoul! Young guys in shirts and ties curled up on the pavement in a pool of hurl at 10PM, and nobody looks twice at them. Watch where you step!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top