JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm interested in getting either a NW or French Fusil. I've seen what Pedersoli offers and some of the kits from TOTW, Sitting Fox etc. And I'm not sure the best way to go. This would be mainly just for plinking and having fun but I might do some stalking. I've seen guns offered from 12ga to 32ga and I'm leaning towards 20-24ga.
I don't have alot of experience in muzzleloading but as I've grown older I seem to be less interested in modern weapons and become almost passionate about early American history and especially the firearms of that period. I really like the looks of the Trade guns and Fusils, with my limited woodworking skills I might try a kit?

The Northwest Trade Gun will be the easier of the two to build , if you get a kit.
I would suggest a 20 gauge with a 36 to 42 inch barrel.

With a Northwest gun one can "fit into many time periods and places " , if that ends up being a concern.
I have an original Parker Field Trade gun , from 1834 which has been converted to percussion.
It is fun to shoot.

I also have a Centermark made Fusil De Chasse .
It is in 20 gauge with a 42 inch barrel.
I have shot this gun ...but haven't hunted with it yet ( just got it , early fall )
I will be taking it out tomorrow after grouse....:D

A 20 gauge flintlock fowler ( original antique ) made by G. Laloux is another along these lines that I own , shoot and hunt with.

20 gauge is a excellent gauge for these light weight and very "pointable" guns
A barrel that is in the 36 - 42 inch range swings nicely and has good balance.

Keep a sharp flint and a clean vent hole.
You do not need a lot of powder in the pan to make the gun go off.
Also make sure the vent hole falls into place just above the center of the pan.
( You can still make a flintlock shoot if it doesn't do this....but it gets trickier ...:eek: )

TOTW is behind on orders for Trade Guns.
Sitting Fox makes excellent guns and kits
Pedersoil makes a fine , if not totally historically accurate gun.
Andy

Sitting Fox has some great guns and kits....with decent pricing options.
I really like their Colonial Fowler / Virginia Fowler.

Their Northwest gun and French Fusil are nice as well.

It would be good to note that if one wants a gun to look like it was European made...Walnut will be the best choice of the options.
Many European guns were re-stocked here in America , or made here in America with European metal parts , if that is the look one wants , then Maple or Cherry is a excellent choice for a fowler and maple for a Northwest Gun...Leman made use of Maple for his version of the Northwest Gun.
Andy

The Jeager caught my eye.

IMG_20200111_131316259_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200111_131527748_HDR-768x468.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class