JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been reading up on the mk18. I understand much of the differences in the gas system and bolt but specifically looking for info on who makes a "true" mk18 LMT or Colt, ID markings, collectibility or any interesting/useful info.

With Surefire MINI. If you do some research you will read some having cycling issues. I am not sure if that's a port size issue, a recoil buffer issue, ammo, but there is plenty of info on the subject if you decide to get an SBR. Also if you go below 10", or 10.5" in some cases suppressor manufactures won't guarantee the can. Surefire is 10" luckily. Something about the bullet needing at least 1 full rotation before it can stabilize.

View attachment 141502

Here is a list for the military issue mk18 mod 1. Not sure about the mod 0 since I never had any interest in it.

Colt upper
Colt BCG
Colt 10.3" barrel
Mk12 gas block
KAC flash suppressor
KAC M4 QD sound suppressor
FDE DD Mk18 RIS II w either 3 ladder panels in tan or 3 different size rail covers in tan
Matech or any other issued BUIS
KAC folding front sight
M4A1 or upgraded M16A1 lower
tan SOPMOD or other issued stock
CQD sling attachment plate
black A2 grip
FDE SpecterDR, Eotech 553 tan, Comp M4, or other issued sight
Insight or any other issued white light
PEQ-15
any sling

Here is a pic of my mod 1. Not an exact copy but I love it :).

IMG_7210_zps433819b9.jpg

Df662 nice mod 1! I am building a Mod 0, still waiting for my dang form 1 before I can put it all together. I am going all original spec. I like the mod 1 but I ended up with a Colt 10.3 upper with KAC RIS and fixed front sight. May go mod 1 if I build another, I like the longer forend look.

Not to get too nit picky, but no Mk18's were built by Colt.

Mod 0 was LMT.

The Mod 1 is built by Daniel Defense.

Both mated to existing Colt lowers.

The accessories are unit based, depending on their version of the SOPMOD kit.

Just because it is an SBR AR, doesn't make it a Mk18. One of the below is a Mk18 Mod 0. The rest are just SBR's.

LWRCSBRcustomwoodlanddigitalsealteam8.jpg Untitled-1.jpg Untitled.jpg MarPatCQBR.jpg

Mod 0 was LMT.

Just because it is an SBR AR, doesn't make it a Mk18. One of the below is a Mk18 Mod 0. The rest are just SBR's.
[/URL]

he originals for the military were all manufactured by Colt (the main parts anyways, receivers, barrels, etc...) I believe

Colt is listed as the "sole source"

PRESOL | 10 | M4A1 CARBINE WITH CQBR UPPER RECEIVER AND BARREL/CLOSE QUARTER BATTLE RECEIVER | 08-May-04 - FBO#0894

Daniel defense makes a mk18 mod 1 upper but that is not the one used by the military. DD DOES provide the milltary with the RIS (rail) for the Mod 1.... Not saying the DD is inferior, after all my upper is a DD, its just not the original in use by the military.

Apperently the lmt mk18 uppers being used for military mk18's is up for debate here :) but it does not seem that they were http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=512978

I'm just going off of what was issued. First gen said LMT on the receivers. First batch of Mod 1's said "Daniel Defense".

ETA...... By the time the linked document came to pass, the Mk18 had been in theater for well over a year, and in circulation for more than a year prior to that.

I like every ones MK18, I am currently building one myself and could use some advise on how to fill out the paperwork for my SBR for it. I have the lower and just waiting to find the upper for it. Your help on filling out the SBR paperwork is greatly appreciated. I was thinking of creating my own Trust and going that route since trying to get a local LE Chief or Sheriff to sign off isnt looking good.

I went the Trust route also. A class 3 dealer can walk you through the paperwork process. Wait times right now are about 10 months - year I believe.

Paper work on the SBR is going to take a while now. I called to check on mine yesterday. Originally I was told Aug. now they are saying times are up to 9 months now I can hope for Nov/Dec.

I have all my parts for a Mod 0 ready to go or still in transit from a shop. I'll try to get pics up of what I can this week. I wanted to go as correct as I could to the issued rifles. I had a little trouble finding the correct mound for sale for the Aimpoint.

Colt upper 10.3 barrel
LMT rear sight
KAC RAS
Aimpoint comp2
Wilcox mount

Mod 0 was LMT.

#4 is the Mod 0. Being a bit picky but the stock, rear sight and light are incorrect but a very nice looking rifle.

LWRCSBRcustomwoodlanddigitalsealteam8.jpg Untitled-1.jpg Untitled.jpg MarPatCQBR.jpg

#4 is the Mod 0. Being a bit picky but the stock, rear sight and light are incorrect but a very nice looking rifle.

Yeah. I know. The rail is not correct to the Mod 0 document either. Or the pistol grip. Or the BE Meyers flash hider for the KAC QD suppressor. Or the X200 light (or the pressure switch either for that matter). Or the ladder type rail covers.

When they asked for my input on the Requirements Document for procurement, they asked for input. Didn't mean they were going to take it. Just because "design by committee" makes the bean counters happy doesn't mean people have to follow the final spec sheet to the letter or blindly use what was handed to them.

100% of the guys I know who have picked up a current configuration, brand new Mk18, built the spec sheet, grumbles and starts raping their old gun of the parts & accessories that suit their needs. Specs written on a sheet of paper by REMF's & Civilians rarely, if ever, satisfy the actual requirements of the end user.

Yeah. I know. The rail is not correct to the Mod 0 document either. Or the pistol grip. Or the BE Meyers flash hider for the KAC QD suppressor. Or the X200 light (or the pressure switch either for that matter). Or the ladder type rail covers.

When they asked for my input on the Requirements Document for procurement, they asked for input. Didn't mean they were going to take it. Just because "design by committee" makes the bean counters happy doesn't mean people have to follow the final spec sheet to the letter or blindly use what was handed to them.

100% of the guys I know who have picked up a current configuration, brand new Mk18, built the spec sheet, grumbles and starts raping their old gun of the parts & accessories that suit their needs. Specs written on a sheet of paper by REMF's & Civilians rarely, if ever, satisfy the actual requirements of the end user.

Touché sir.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads