JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for an FFL that is open during the day. I like the guy I'm using now, but he works during the day and isn't home to accept packages. This means I need to wait until the next day (Monday if delivery is attempted on Friday or Saturday) to get my gun if he can't make it to UPS/FEDEX/Post Office in time.

Any recommendations? I bought a couple guns online so I need one quick!

Also, do I need to pay the background fee twice? I've never had two guns delivered to an FFL at the same time before.

If you were in Salem I could help you with an FFL...I just went to his house this morning (Superbowl Sunday) to pick one up.

If you pickup more than one gun at the same time, they should only charge you one BGC fee. But because you got 2 or more (I think within a week) they have a little extra paperwork involved.

Both Beaver Creek Armory and the Security Store can help you with this. BCA requires the person/business to send a copy of their FFL, if they don't already have it on hand. I am not sure if the Security Store needs the same, but I would imagine so.
James

DO NOT go to Beavercreek Armory. The people there are clueless scammers who are doing nothing but hurting the industry.

There are a few members of this board who are in the area and have an FFL, and won't try to screw you over.

PS: I also got a bad impression going into Security Store, it was a little sketchy for me.

A Cut Above Pawn in Beaverton
9555 Southwest Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway
Beaverton, OR 97005
(503) 277-2274

Dave Griffith is the owner and is a great person to deal with and an upstanding ethical businessman with reasonable transfer fees. I have done many transactions there both sending and receiving firearms with no issues. I am in Hillsboro and will drive the extra distance to do business with them. He also gave me a great deal on some jewelry for my wife at Christmas saved me a bunch of money over buying a regular jewelry store. I give him my personal recommendation.

I have done business with both the Security Store and Beavercreek Armory both have their niche. Personally I haven't got anything bad to say about either place. But have heard other people who had issues with them. I prefer A Cut Above for my FFL needs.
:s0155:

I'd also recommend against Beaver Creek Armory. Terrible service and they're definitely rip-off artists. Also, I wouldn't suggest shopping there either, the selection is lousy and prices are terrible too.

I'll be calling A Cut Above tomorrow, thanks to everyone who posted.

I took my CHL class at Beaver Creek Armory. The instructor was awesome (forgot his name but had a German accent), but the owner seemed like a stupid hillbilly. The instructor gave this scenario during the class:

You're in a restaurant and you see someone run in through the front door and back through the kitchen. Moments later, you see someone chasing after him with a gun. What would you do?

Most of the people in the class, including the instructor, said they would not chase after the gunman, and would probably just make sure their families are safe and help them out the door to safety. At this point, the owner who was doing some paperwork behind the counter said in his hillbilly accent that he would've drawn his weapon and shot the guy with the gun.

The instructor then said it wasn't good advice since it's unknown who the "good guy" was and who the "bad guy" was. And the owner just kept arguing his point, which I didn't understand at the time (and still don't). Let's just just say I won't be shopping there. :D

I took my CHL class at Beaver Creek Armory. The instructor was awesome (forgot his name but had a German accent), but the owner seemed like a stupid hillbilly. The instructor gave this scenario during the class:

You're in a restaurant and you see someone run in through the front door and back through the kitchen. Moments later, you see someone chasing after him with a gun. What would you do?

Most of the people in the class, including the instructor, said they would not chase after the gunman, and would probably just make sure their families are safe and help them out the door to safety. At this point, the owner who was doing some paperwork behind the counter said in his hillbilly accent that he would've drawn his weapon and shot the guy with the gun.

The instructor then said it wasn't good advice since it's unknown who the "good guy" was and who the "bad guy" was. And the owner just kept arguing his point, which I didn't understand at the time (and still don't). Let's just just say I won't be shopping there. :D

Yeah, the German dude is a good guy, exactly the sort of person the gun-owning community needs more of. Took the class with him as well and seen him at a gun show or two lately. But I think he just teaches the class there, rather than actually working in the other aspects of their business (like sales or service).

Dual smoking Guns is in Beaverton... not open mondays I believe.
My choice would be Tigard off HWY 99 in the shopping center next to Homesytle Buffet, the center with the Bi Mart. You'll fing THE GUN BROKER, Good selection< REALLY good customer care.

I took my CHL class at Beaver Creek Armory. The instructor was awesome (forgot his name but had a German accent), but the owner seemed like a stupid hillbilly.

Michael Knoetig - is the instructor.

I get the heebie-jeebies when I go into BCA. Don't know what it is. Feel like I'm going to get beat up or something. Shrug. Oh well. Too bad Michael conducts his classes there. Shrug again.

OK, just got back from A Cut Above and they wouldn't let me take the FFL form with me. My problem is one of the guys I'm buying the guns from doesn't have a fax and is requesting the FFL to be emailed. I tried calling around but no one here seems to do it. Anyone know of a place? I'm paying through Gunpal so I want the guns shipped right away. Don't want to wait for the FFL to go through snail mail.

Thanks!

OK, just got back from A Cut Above and they wouldn't let me take the FFL form with me. My problem is one of the guys I'm buying the guns from doesn't have a fax and is requesting the FFL to be emailed. I tried calling around but no one here seems to do it. Anyone know of a place? I'm paying through Gunpal so I want the guns shipped right away. Don't want to wait for the FFL to go through snail mail.

Thanks!

I've used Ryan Judy Sporting Goods in Hillsboro. Only $10 fee plus background check (for a total of $20). Downside is, he is one of those guys that does operate out of his house and seems to have a regular job as well... so it's not guaranteed that someone will be there to sign at whatever time, which can result in a day or two of delay. But the guy is much more on the level than BCA or the Security Store folks (although for the record, I think at least The Security Store at least has the redeeming qualities of good selection, and fair prices on a few things). He also is totally ok with sending you an email copy of his FFL so you can forward it to your seller. Another one to try may be Little Bear Gun Shop, also in Hillsboro. It's run by a Vietnam vet, he's a decent guy and very customer-service oriented, pricier on transfers than Ryan Judy, but still better than BCA or Security Store, plus you get a discount if you're a vet or presently serving.

Did you discover that before, or AFTER you brought me there :):confused:

Pretty much before, but I needed a few more trips to confirm it.

Actually, that's a lie. It's just entertaining going in there to hear the stupid crap they spout. Kind of like a train wreck. You want to look away, but you can't.

Hey, lets hit the range some time. :s0155:

This is outside if the Beaverton/Hillsboro area, but I have had great service for transfers from 99 Pawn and Guns on McLaughlin just down the road from Northwest Armory. They do transfers for $15.00 plus the background check. I use them because I work on that side of town.

Perhaps upon occasion there is a need for just "an FFL".

Perhaps on more than one occasion you should consider repeatedly patronizing an actual gun store.

Perhaps there are multiple subscribers to this site that would be happy to supply you with a name of a businessman who will professionally and reasonably handle your FFL transaction: reliably and with good reputation, not operating "on the side".

But perhaps, those of us that do trade regularly with good gun shops are hereby choosing not to supply you with the name of someone we've learned to respect and protect.

Food for thought. No offense intended or implied.

+9 for Ryan Judy sports.

Runs out of his house but I've never had any problems with my transfers.
Mutliple guns on one transfer is still only $10 for background check fee and $10 for each gun.
Of course I don't need my gun yesterday . :s0114:

BTW, check out his web site:
www.ryanjudysports.com

Perhaps upon occasion there is a need for just "an FFL".

Perhaps on more than one occasion you should consider repeatedly patronizing an actual gun store.

Perhaps there are multiple subscribers to this site that would be happy to supply you with a name of a businessman who will professionally and reasonably handle your FFL transaction: reliably and with good reputation, not operating "on the side".

But perhaps, those of us that do trade regularly with good gun shops are hereby choosing not to supply you with the name of someone we've learned to respect and protect.

Food for thought. No offense intended or implied.

Perhaps you should shut your hole if you don't want to help. No offense intended or implied.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top