JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This rifle came to be through family, It is not what they claimed it was but its still a neat old rifle.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it is?

Have any idea what the rear sight looked like?

muzzle.jpg muzzle1.jpg muzzle2.jpg muzzle3.jpg muzzle4.jpg

I think that is is a mid-1840's era Schuetzen-style rifle, probably made in the USA by a German/Austrian or Swiss gunmaker of extreme skill. I say US-made as the little plaque would have Nr for number if it had been made in Europe - German speakers use Nr [Nummer] and not No like English-speakers [Numero from Latin]. The long back-action lock is typical of that time-scale.

The reduced diameter muzzle is to take a precision loading device - called a false muzzle - for a long cylindrical bullet. Is there a hole under the forend to take a palm/hand rest?

If you wanted to shoot it, then you might well find a suitable hammer in the Dixie Gun Works catalogue - or even find one that would enable a skilled gunsmith to replicate the missing section of the original.

Post #4 is a good suggestion - the name has a real resonance.

And please, when you measure the bore, do it in millimeters - you are the only folks on earth who still use the Imperial system of measurement....funny, eh? Any non-English-made gun will be built metrically.

Also, remember the American www.muzzleloadingforum.com - there are a HUGE number of genuine experts there, as well as builders and museum staff from all over the world, mostly European in the case of museum staff and even curators of collections to make your teeths itch.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

tac
www.muzzleloadingforum.com

Last Edited:
Would the original tang sight fit into the square hole with a square tang and then what looks like a set screw keep it in place?
Hard to tell with the pic showing the top.

Dixie Gun Works has something similar.

EB0701 Mortimer Creedmore Diopter Tang Sight $182.00
View attachment 115921
EB0701.JPG

Mounted into the tang on a ½" hollow post to 5/8"; sight that fits into the hollow post. Elevation adjustment with a screw/leaf vertical adjustment, or by releasing a screw on the side of the base mount to gain additional ½".
Height before tang elevation is 1 ½"; after, 2".
Windage adjustment with screw/leaf horizontal movement.
Blued steel with top mounted adjustment screws left "in the white."
Standard equipment on Mortimer Whitworth Target Rifle.

Please to remember that the Mortimer is made using Imperial dimensions and this lovely old Schuetzen-style rifle is METRIC. I'd hate for you to drop a couple of hundred dollars on a sight that won't fit.

Note too that you'll need to have a proper [read, couple of hundred dollars] bullet mould made - this is likely NOT a PRB shooter, as I mentioned before. Checking the ROT will quickly tell us that.

C'mon, you've got stuff to do! Bore size? ROT?

I'm waiting to be helpful here, even if it just shy of midnight.

tac

Sorry to disappoint but I dont have any means to accurately measure this thing here at the house. All the tools are at the shop. Best I can measure using a tape measure I would have to say it would convert to 16MM? Just a touch over 5/8" It is a monster hole.

As far as the rate of twist I cant determine that until I get it to the shop.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top