JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As this is my first post, a little introduction. I grew up hunting waterfowl and upland game birds in Idaho, but I've never deer hunted, although all my friends were big deer and elk hunters. I recently moved to Molalla area and I would like to start deer and elk hunting.

I've spent the last few days reading the big game rules, but they are not making sense to me and I think they are assuming you know something about the general big game process. This is what I think I know based on growing up with big game hunters:

There are open and controlled hunts. To hunt in the controlled units you have to "put in" and "draw a tag". I'm assuming that means you apply and if your application is chosen, you get to hunt that unit. What I can't seem to find out, is what the different "series" hunts in Oregon are. I see there is a 100 and a 600, but don't really see a distinction.

In controlled units, if there are more tags than there are applications, can you buy a tag for that area after the application deadline?

Another question I have is regarding where you can't hunt. For example, I know some people that have a couple hundred acres of land in the Beavercreek area that they said I could hunt on. But I don't see anything saying I can or can't hunt that area.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the first ones gets answered. I appreciate any help that can be given.

As long as the land is not within a cities urban growth boundary or otherwise public property you can hunt on it if you have permission from the land owner.

Example Say I have 40 acres of land 20 miles East of Salem that land is not a state park or part of a city. I give you permission to hunt it. You are free to hunt there.

Example land that is State or Federal Forest land or BLM land not specifically closed or restricted you can hunt there.

All this is proving you have the proper tag for the animal and Season you are hunting.

excess tags are offered after the draw and theres somewhere in the regs that say when.

drawings for 100 and 600 deer hunts happened in May again dead lines are found in the regs

100 series hunts are buck hunts and Muzzleloader any deer hunts
600 series hunts are antlerless or spike deer or any deer hunts.

The regs clearly explain this.

At this time all you have available to you are general season Buck tags Besure to buy them before the season starts. you might also look into the residency requirements.

heres a link for all big game.ODFW Hunting Big Game
heres deer regs <broken link removed>
hope that helps ya.I can be of no help on the controlled hunts but i know on the general season for deer you just need to buy your tag before first day of season..for cascade buck its Sept. 28 - Oct. 11 & Oct. 19 - Nov. 1.for coast buck theres no week break its from sept 28 to nov 1.

As a side note: How long have you been a resident? The state requires that you live six consecutive months in Oregon before buying a resident tag and licences. If you attempt to purchase one before that and you have been in the system in Idaho last year, the computer system will red flag you as Idaho and Oregon have reciprocity built into their systems. Its not a laughing matter either, a fellow worker that lived in Washington purchased a tag here as a resident and did 9 days in jail, $1500 in fines and suspension in both states and any that had reciprocity for three years, just a heads up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top