JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well back on subject, I don't invite just anyone to shoot my guns. Liberal or conservative I like to see the character of the person before I arm them. Plus their mechanical skills and look at their motivation for owning a gun. Young people in particular tend to have emotional problems and I wouldn't want to add a gun into problems they can't handle. Hate to teach a person how to use a gun and they use it in a criminal manner. I look close at people, real close.

I like to check a person's general demeanor with a gun using an airsoft or BB replica (one I've already verified is unloaded). Watch if they treat it with respect, or start swinging the barrel around. I find that alone can tell me if I need to start with very basic information on whether they have any experience or respect for how they should be handled. For young folks, if they weren't raised by parents that taught them a proper respect of firearms, it can be sketchy. I think they can still learn, but it may take some very close monitoring. My daughter is exposed to them regularly and we talk about safety every single time a gun is out - even if it's just an airsoft replica.

I really wish we could go back to the days when teaching kids gun safety, rather than gun fear, was the norm, even in the public schools. Boy have we gone the wrong direction there. It seems those types of decisions have led us to a place where guns are no longer respected, but feared, misunderstood, and in some cases, misused.

I like to check a person's general demeanor with a gun using an airsoft or BB replica (one I've already verified is unloaded). Watch if they treat it with respect, or start swinging the barrel around. I find that alone can tell me if I need to start with very basic information on whether they have any experience or respect for how they should be handled. For young folks, if they weren't raised by parents that taught them a proper respect of firearms, it can be sketchy. I think they can still learn, but it may take some very close monitoring. My daughter is exposed to them regularly and we talk about safety every single time a gun is out - even if it's just an airsoft replica.

I really wish we could go back to the days when teaching kids gun safety, rather than gun fear, was the norm, even in the public schools. Boy have we gone the wrong direction there. It seems those types of decisions have led us to a place where guns are no longer respected, but feared, misunderstood, and in some cases, misused.

I really agree with you on this. Since it was brought up about liberals there are a number of them that are into drugs and alcohol. Yes a lot of people are but if I see an addiction I won't let them near a gun. I have seen too many lives destroyed by both for me to add a firearm into the mix. That is the character issue, whatever party you are in I look at your behavior. But then I am an old far t so what do you expect:D.

Younger people would just give the gun and let them make their own decisions, I make the decision to be careful just the same as handling a gun.

I really agree with you on this. Since it was brought up about liberals there are a number of them that are into drugs and alcohol. Yes a lot of people are but if I see an addiction I won't let them near a gun. I have seen too many lives destroyed by both for me to add a firearm into the mix. That is the character issue, whatever party you are in I look at your behavior. But then I am an old far t so what do you expect:D.

Younger people would just give the gun and let them make their own decisions, I make the decision to be careful just the same as handling a gun.

To be fair, I know conservatives I wouldn't give a gun to. You are correct that it needs to be based on the individual, their level of maturity is a big factor. I don't ask party affiliation if I'm introducing someone to firearms, but I do want to know their general attitude toward firearms first. My wife was never anti-gun, but she wasn't exactly pro-gun when we got married. After making some regular range trips, we found she was a better shot than me, and it didn't take long for her to learn to really like them. Today, she is a strong supporter of the 2A. I suspect our daughter will be too.

:D Ya I don't give people a political test either but it's pretty easy to figure out if they can be trusted with a gun. Plus I have a little voice inside I couldn't live with if I sold a gun to a drug dealer or taught them how to use it. Recently had a person from work who wanted me to get them a gun. He had a stroke and was in a wheel chair, going through a divorce and had been kicked out of his home by the lawyers. No way I would get that man a gun even though he treated me as a brother ever since I met him.

We ALL know folks (Who are not locked up) whom we would not trust with (Our Young Children or Grandchildren) (Our Wife) ( Our Mother or Grandmother) ( Our Pets) ( Our Money or treasured items) (Our Vintage Muscle Car or Knucklehead Harley) (Our Livestock) (Our Rider Mower)... so its really not a stretch to not entrust them with Firearm Rights...o_O

You might be surprised how many "liberals" [sic] are pro 2A.
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/
If you were gay and a shooter, what else you gonna do? Vote for those who would criminalize your private behavior?
http://www.pinkpistols.org/

The trouble boils down to single-issue politics, IMHO. Yes, 2A is non-negotiable in my book, but so are the other amendments to the Bill of Rights. I cannot and will not choose to sacrifice one (*cough* 4A *cough*) to save another.

As a liberal pro 2A supporter myself, I know many like minded people. The issue is that many of my family and friends are not single issue voters. And unfortunately, many Republicans who are strong 2A supporters are also anti-woman and gay rights...and that turns A LOT of voters off. This is why I have, and many of my family and friends, have been writing to our representatives identifying ourselves as Democrat and 2A supporters. The 2A should not be a single party issue...we NEED MORE DEMOCRATS to stand up for the Second Amendment if there is any hope of keeping our Freedom alive.

"anti-woman"? "anti-gay"?

Do you know what turns a lot of registered independents off of any "movement"? Extreme labeling of others who disagree with with a "party's" trumped up talking points that are designed to drive a wedge between a myopic citizenry so that we ALL lose.

Jeez.... :rolleyes:

Sure, but you'd be a fool to not recognize that all of the anti-abortion bills that have occurred in the past several years have been from Republicans. That immediately turns off the majority of women ACROSS party lines. Women are a 50% component to keeping our 2A right. Alienating women is not the way to go about it.

There are PLENTY of anti-abortion women out there, the left simply refuses to acknowledge they exist, yet it's settled law (SCOTUS-Kramer vs Kramer) that abortion IS legal, some Republicans (but not all) just want some folks to consider what they're doing before they "pull that trigger".

Plus, you'd be a fool to not HONESTLY recognize that almost ALL anti-freedom, big government control of EVERY ASPECT of your life type of bills ranging from what you can eat/drink, how hot/cold your house is, size of your car, your toilets, your clothes, your health care "choices", self defense, and what your VERY THOUGHTS are come from the DNC and their ilk....

Wudda conundrum, yeah? o_O

BTW- I'm personally not "for" abortion as "convenient birth control" (in MY life), but I also ascribe to the notion that if you're against abortion then don't have one. Each person only "counts for one", and each person has to account for their own life.

Anyway, we're getting out into the weeds a bit.... back on topic!

Last Edited:
As a liberal pro 2A supporter myself, I know many like minded people. The issue is that many of my family and friends are not single issue voters. And unfortunately, many Republicans who are strong 2A supporters are also anti-woman and gay rights...and that turns A LOT of voters off. This is why I have, and many of my family and friends, have been writing to our representatives identifying ourselves as Democrat and 2A supporters. The 2A should not be a single party issue...we NEED MORE DEMOCRATS to stand up for the Second Amendment if there is any hope of keeping our Freedom alive.

I have to go with Stomper on this one. Labeling "many" Republicans as "anti-woman" and "anti-gay" is simply false. I know a lot of Republicans, and I don't know a single one that you could classify as "anti-woman", not a single one. As for "anti-gay" I also know plenty of Republicans that are behind the movement to make gay marriage legal and to end discrimination against them.

Don't confuse certain party or group talking points as actually speaking for the masses. In at least some cases, they're saying one thing, and the people are saying something else, they're just choosing to ignore the people.

If we really want to have a real opportunity to bridge the gap, at least on the 2A issue, then everyone that is hoping to do that should really stop playing the "they're so wrong about everything else" card. The more we perpetuate that, the more the anti-gunners will win. If we could combine the numbers of pro-gun folks from both parties, we'd have some really strong numbers to be reckoned with.

"anti-woman"? "anti-gay"?

Do you know what turns a lot of registered independents off of any "movement"? Extreme labeling of others who disagree with with a "party's" trumped up talking points that are designed to drive a wedge between a myopic citizenry so that we ALL lose.

Jeez.... :rolleyes:

Yep, agree with you on this one.

As a "Conservative Christian" (not to be confused with Republican necessarily) I am not "anti" anything...While I may not agree with abortion or gay rights, Biblically speaking. I do support our Constitutional rights. That being said, it seems to me that the "progressive" thinkers seem to believe that if we do not, as American citizens, vote correctly, it is incumbent upon them to correct that error. We have a system, democratic election, to speak as to what the people want in their ruling governmental laws. When an individual or party takes it upon themselves to "over rule" the populous decision in empowering said law, then you have tyranny. Which, IMVHO, is what we have occurring under the current administration. I further believe this is done purely from a position of arrogance and pride.
my two cents...

It goes both ways, if I can't live within the policy of the site I move on. S&W site has moderators that are far too strict and I pulled out of that site. Sent me warnings for some of the dumbest crap I ever seen. Thread on John Wayne and one of the posters brought up he changed his name as an actor. I pointed out a lot of people change their name, even our president. That mention of the president got me a warning telling me I am not allowed to demean the office of the potus. Is the truth demeaning?

Well back on subject, I don't invite just anyone to shoot my guns. Liberal or conservative I like to see the character of the person before I arm them. Plus their mechanical skills and look at their motivation for owning a gun. Young people in particular tend to have emotional problems and I wouldn't want to add a gun into problems they can't handle. Hate to teach a person how to use a gun and they use it in a criminal manner. I look close at people, real close.

Even here I don't share a lot of information cause you really don't know who is reading it. Hate to be a part of getting some loone armed with information and he uses it in a crime.

Good stuff Just Jim, as a former Range Master it's good to know the inner workings and stability of a trainee's mind. All of our cadets were background checked, FBI cleared and assumed to have no working knowledge of a firearm. This put all recruits on the same lever, zero. Our range held about 70 shooters on each firing line which is waaaaaay too many to visually police (no pun intended) all the time. It didn't take too long to root out the ones who needed extra classroom time and some one-on-one. Most of our recruits were prior military which is a plus for weapon safety and retention. But, I've seen my fair share of AD's over my 20+ years and most were guys who "already" know it all. I had a Sgt who shot himself in the bubblegum with a pocket 25. :s0037:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top