JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Residents of different states, no BGC, do not pass go, go directly to jail. Game over. :p
You do know that's never been an issue until recently right? and just what I said on my other post of who likes Nick Chen. against the law until it becomes one then "Game over or supportive comments"
But still you do realize that's never been an issue before right.
Example:
Say one goes on vacation to see his friend while there friend shows him a gun and wants to sell it to him, other guy buys it goes home with it up until now that's not been an issue. and it's happened millions of times I'm sure and by people on here, maybe even you.
Or the while out of state see a yard sale and stop the guy wants to sell a .12 gauge shotgun and he buys it that's never been an issue until now.
Nothings changed but you make it sound like it has but it's not. Not yet that is.

Residents of different states, no BGC, do not pass go, go directly to jail. Game over. :p

Unless egregious purchase, [e.g. a whole gaggle of firearms then ATF will cite someone for selling w/o a license] but whom pray tell is going to enforce the federal law? ATF, in rural ID or America?

Perhaps on the state level where registration is mandated, oh wait, it is mandated in Chicago, and LA, darn and in Baltimore, yet based on the rampant shooting statistics over the last decade in these locales there must be hundred/thousands of guns registered with authorities so they can immediatelly swoop down & seize the BG who did the shooting. Sorry that is a pipe dream which was thought up by authorities to tell the citizens at bed time to calm them down and at election time to keep them in office [now in several of those locales there is possibly som 421 in the pipebowl]

So Hawaiian, et al., who did you say was the monoply king saying game over in rural America ?

Looks like the original post question has been answered.

Here's a related question. I am legal to buy firearms in Oregon. My folks live out of state. If I am in their state at Christmas time and they give me a gun (handgun or long gun) that's legal to own in both states (and which they legally obtained), can I legally take that gun back to Oregon without a background check?

EDIT: another question: If we all live in Oregon, could they legally give me a gun for Christmas without a BGC?

Last Edited:

Here's a related question. I am legal to buy firearms in Oregon. My folks live out of state. If I am in their state at Christmas time and they give me a gun (handgun or long gun) that's legal to own in both states (and which they legally obtained), can I legally take that gun back to Oregon without a background check?

EDIT: another question: If we all live in Oregon, could they legally give me a gun for Christmas without a BGC?
I should back track what I said but as long as it's private then Yeah but legally I think you need to go through a FFL and have it shipped back here.
My opinion though, pack it in you're car and take it home just follow all laws coming back.
Once back Oregon has no say F em!
Was doing more research on this last night and they are right you legally will have to go through a FFL do the Background check and have them ship it here then more likely do another one here.:mad:

If your folks lived in OR, then you can give each other all the legal firearms your want. Family members are exempt from the OR private party FFL transfer/background check provision.
Since you live in different states, a FFL transfer/background check is required for the transfer. This is not a new law, interstate transfers have always required an FFL transfer/background check. This is Federal law, not a state law. Some here have a hard time understanding this.

If your folks lived in OR, then you can give each other all the legal firearms your want. Family members are exempt from the OR private party FFL transfer/background check provision.
Since you live in different states, a FFL transfer/background check is required for the transfer. This is not a new law, interstate transfers have always required an FFL transfer/background check. This is Federal law, not a state law. Some here have a hard time understanding this.
uh no just don't think anyone's really paid attention to it until now so...
as I said up until recently I wager most have don't as I say and not worried much about it.

Sorry, but I believe that most on this forum have been aware of the applicable laws for many years and have always abide by them. We avoid giving advice to someone new to firearms that could get them in trouble.

Let's quantify your query...

1. Are you > 21 and otherwise meet criteria to purchase a handgun? [you mentioned firearms = R, S, or P. Different ages for purchase]

2. Are the folks going to buy new or give you one out of the family collection? If new, 4473 states 'is this purchase for you, it is then signed attesting they are the purchaser, so personally would not put the family at risk. If out of the collection, assure it is unloaded, put a bow on it, it has been gifted to you.

3. You did not mention folks locale which could crimp getting a firearm, e.g., Ill, CA, Eastern tier states require 'official permits/licenses'. Further how ya going to get it home, again if flying thru JFK and get stopped due to weather, opps gift is lost. You get the picture!

Brings me to the point of my post...if the folks want to get you a firearm, have them get you a prepaid debit card for the cost + taxes and you purchase it when you get back home. For example, Cabelas has on sale the ported Shield for 424$ + taxes equates to 450$ so the debit card should be for that amount, so do your homework, window shop, doing form, fit, and function at the box stores and HINT strongly with prices to your folk as the holiday is quickly approaching.

Edit, yes.

;) yeah that's what we all say online. :D
what people actually do in private may be different. :cool:

Not all!

Alas the crux of the problem is the vagueness of any poster's statement coupled with ATF/State/Local's numerous nuance(s) makes a blanket statement a ten thousand foot response. [Please do not discard the anonymous poster's bkgnd might be an agent in a goat's wrap]

But as they say, what ppl do behind closed doors in the privacy of their homes is their business, now isn't it?

Any issues with moving to another state with firearms? ie: Washington to Idaho.

And same as above, but with the addition of a NFA item (tax stamped can that belongs to a trust)

Ownership would remain the same, just state of residency would change.

Wrap them nicely so they don't get scratched or dinged.

NFA stuff? No idea, however it probably depends. I would imagine there is a section at the ATF which might answer your specific question with your specific NFA stuff...

Any issues with moving to another state with firearms? ie: Washington to Idaho.

And same as above, but with the addition of a NFA item (tax stamped can that belongs to a trust)

Ownership would remain the same, just state of residency would change.
Not legal advice, but your firearms may exhibit signs of over-excitement. The cause is abundant freedom. Just shoot them often and it should keep it under control.

Do you have a viable cite [self-serving wiki isn't viable] for this urban legend, er rhetoric, uh hysterical notion?

Germany had a gun control law ( that was actually much more liberal in allowing gun ownership than the previous German gun law enacted by the Weimar Republic when they were fighting off Communists and Nazis).
Thomas Dodd was a prosecutor at Nurenburg.
Thomas Dodd drafted the 68 GCA in part.

There you go. Concrete proof of collusion with the Naziz.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top