JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I got my SIG P220R back from 6 months on consignment, have been working with it extensively doing dry fire with my Mantis X3 system, and I'm pretty much falling in love with this pistol. One thing I'm not in love with is the sights. It has the original factory SigLite night sights, which is okay, but this is a 15 year old pistol, and they're getting pretty dim for night use, and they're not that great for daytime use either. I do better with a bright red FO front sight vs. the typical white 3 dot arrangement. I think I want to stay with night sights, but I also want a front sight that will pop in daylight. I recently installed one of the Hi-Viz Lightwave front sights on my PCR, I like it a lot, but it's not a night sight. I've been looking at some of the hybrid (for want of a better term) night sights, but frankly, I feel like I'm chasing my tail. TFX, TFO, Night Fision, the more I look, the more undecided I get. I need help :oops:.

So, here's what I'm after. I want something appropriate to a do everything pistol, EDC, night stand, range toy. It needs to be durable, have a front sight that really pops in daylight, but also works in low light conditions for those times that something goes bump in the night. My hope is that enough of you have installed one or the other of these that I can get a consensus of which is "best". I'll be honest, I'm leaning toward the latest offering from Night Fision, but I just don't know how well the front sight will show up in daylight. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Later.

Dave

1579595248089.png

Sig has these and there good day or night..

TFX pro's for me. I've gone cheaper with sights and not been super satisfied and once I put the tfx pros on one of my guns I've been slowing switching all of them to the tfx pros. I love them. Super bright during the day and have a bright glow when it's dark. Mine have the orange ring around the green on the front sight. These sights are phenomenal.

The first thing you need to do is verify what sights are on it now before you order anything.
They are sold in sets for .40/.45 and 9mm/.357 but that doesn't mean that you will have that set on that gun.
A #6 front and a #8 rear is what is "supposed" to be on .40/.45 but none of mine have that combo from the factory.

I swap out Sig night sights, X-ray3 or regular on all of mine for something with a red front as I pick it up better than green.

The first set of sights that I bought for my 220 were Trijicon HD XR sights with an orange front dot.
To bad they were 6/8 and my 220 had 8/8 from the factory so I was way low. :mad:
I liked the VS sights that were on it and went with Ameriglo I-Dots with a red front, they only make them in 8/8 for some reason so lucky me.
RKJmQGQl.jpg

The Trijicons got installed on my M11-A1 since it had 6/8 sights on it.
Of course I had to take out the 8/8 sights that I had just installed and found it shot way high for some reason.. Remember that spiel about verifying the sights before ordering? Umm.. that wasn't the last one I did that to. :eek: :oops:

I didn't like the Xray3 sights on my 226 so I popped the I-dots out of the 220 and installed them to see if I liked them on it.
Overall I prefer the Trijicons. The front sight is more visible and the narrow front blade with that u notch rear gives a better sight picture.
I find it easier to hit 2 and 4 inch spinners with the Trijicon's and my groups are much smaller with them.

Trijicon HD XR, front looks smaller than it is in the pic.
0kLua8Sl.jpg

I-dot on the 226. Will be getting Trijicon's
fqVEDzul.jpg

XS DXT2 with orange front on my 365
pNL84Fyl.jpg

Tried some Speed Sights on my Select but... It had 8/6 sights from the factory so that didn't work out so well.
65M7WWcl.jpg

TFO front and a blacked out rear on my .40. It will get another front sight, don't like green.
A8SY2ovl.jpg

I have come to like red dots as well.
UKnLObJl.jpg

Don't bother trying to sell hand guns in-state right now. Things are too much up in the air. If you want to move them, eat the fees and sell out of state on Gunbroker or similar.

No intention of selling it now, I was jonesing for a Ruger GP100 for awhile and had the SIG for sale to finance it. Would still like a DA revolver one of these days, but no rush, and like I said, I'm kind of falling in love with this SIG. At this point, if I was going to let go of one of my .45's, it would be my CZ 97 BD, and THAT ain't happening! Later.

Thanks, guys, you helped me narrow it right down...NOT :D! Will look at your suggestions, though, there are some in there I haven't looked at. And yes, I've verified the sights on my SIG, it has what it's supposed to have, #6 front and #8 rear. I may need to hold off on sights until I can live fire again, I seem to recall shooting low with this pistol. I've since found out that SIG alignment is NOT the old school 6 o'clock hold, instead, you're supposed to hold the front sight directly over the bullseye, a so-called "combat" sight picture. Will have to do some experimenting, I've had a tendency to shoot low right with pretty much everything, but that hasn't been showing up with the Mantis X, so simply getting the sights aligned the way I'm supposed to might be the answer :oops:. Anyway, thanks again, guys, later.

Yep, combat hold.
That's where the Trijicon's rock.

Xray3 sights are fat and block a lot of the target.
Even though the front is narrower on the HD XR, that red dot is like a neon sign.

Speed Sights will give you a different sight picture as well. One of these days I'll get a gun that can use them.
BoeY7I2l.jpg

So after more chasing myself around in circles, I finally decided on the TFX Pro's with orange ring. The Ameriglo lost out due to having #8's front and rear, instead of the #6 front, and a square notch rear, really wanted the u-notch. The Night Fision got dinged for hit or miss reviews, and the Trijicons lost out to the hybrid FO/tritium of the Tru-Glo's. Considered the Meprolight FT Bullseye, it's an intriguing idea, but it looks like there could be holster issues.

So my new sight should be here next week, now I just need to find someone local with a sight pusher. Again, thanks for all your suggestions, guys. More later.

Dave

I am all about red dots once you become proficient they are way easier to shoot.

I like them fine on rifles, but cost alone makes them a non-starter for me with pistols, not to mention the additional cost of having my slide milled for one. But that was the reason I considered the Meprolight Bullseye, they're basically advertising it as a poor mans dot sight. Still fairly new to the market, I may revisit it once it's been around long enough to have amassed more than a handful of reviews. Later.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top