Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can News Stations Make You Dumber?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SonicBlue03, Dec 12, 2011.

1. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

2. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

... and misinformed, by news outlets, and by polls, too.

Be careful, I don't know about the people who conducted this survey, but, statistics can be manipulated to prove anything. One of the easiest ways is to select a sample that does not adequately represents the population, but is slanted to prove whatever point you want to prove.

In this day and age, it is not smart to get their news from any single source.

3. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Lies, damned lies, and statistics...

4. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Figures lie & liars figure....

5. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

Only Liberal stations - sicne they are best at manipulating statistic to ofit any of their needs
    Really - you have to do your own research

6. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, all media outlets have an agenda. Be careful of polls, they are easily manipulated by the questions asked and the people polled. Do your our research and seek out more than one source. Listen to what the news makers say then watch what they do.

7. doubletap007

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

yes msnbc,cnbc,cnn will all make you dumber....if you watch them long enough they will have you out at the occupy protests
    thinking you know how to count to 99%
    lets see.....370,000,000 people in the usa.......a generous guess of 3.7 million are occupy wall street freaks....ummm what percent are they again????

8. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

News stations making us dumber? Say it ain't so, Joe!

And in other news, researchers have recently discovered that water is wet and the sky is blue (when there are no clouds)

9. Mookie

Mookie Eastern Washington Active Member

I had started watching the BBC and they had more information about what was happening inside the US than Fox, CNN, or MSNBC combined. They also had better and more thorough articles. I no longer have cable but I still get most of my world news from the BBC.

10. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

You must have spent time with my extended family before.

As for news, I've noticed that local news is getting on the sensational bandwagon every so often.

11. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

12. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

The poll was conducted by a private college for those referring to media polls.

As for Jersey Shore - just the fact that such a show airs means all of American has gotten dumber.

13. doubletap007

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

it amazes me that people watch crap like jersey shore,american idol,x-factor....all this reality tv keeps you in a fantasy world when you should be educating yourself with the world crumbling around you....they are sheep!

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  14. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

Go back 30 - 40 years - you had a couple of news channels and they were the gospel.
    The good news is that we have 24x7 news
    The bad news - there is a lot of misinformation ( intentional and unintentional).
    So you need to spend more time verifying information vs accepting anything that is said.

If you just accept what is said because it fits you political persuasion - then I think it is making most people dumber.
    If it makes you think about it and get both sides f the equation do some research - then it is better

15. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Statistics are based on people that get spend a lot of time staring at the TV...probably telling them what to wear, where to go, what to eat and what to believe.

So, yeah, if you sit and stare at the tube for everything you think you need or need to know you're probably a dumb@ss.

16. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

If you stop watching TV for just one year and then turn it on it will look absolutely infantile to you.

Without it, Americans could not be the mindless zombies they are today regarding anything important. With it, we have a propaganda-controlled populace of citizens completely disconnected from reality.

"We have all sorts of entertainments to keep the human mind busy so you won't do a lot of thinking and reasoning. Watch your ball game, your favorite TV show, and don't pay attention to what the real adults (that control the path of your life) are doing"
    - Jordan Maxwell

17. duran21

duran21 Lacey Active Member

yes and no... if you watch tv all the time, and dont think for your self, then yes... but if you get your news from the local channels for simple things like the traffic or weather... then you should be fine.

18. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I don't know about the news making a person dumb(er). I can't watch "Infotainment" for more than a few minutes before I want to cry or screem, all I want is the weather. The talking heads put too much emotion into the stories, trying to get you to feel a certain way about any given story/event.

What's with the show WIPEOUT? Are there really enough people that watch that from week to week to keep it on the air? I'm pretty sure THAT program will make you stoopid. Maybe it's the same people that listen to Rush Limbaugh on a regular basis.

Mike

19. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

I listen to Rush on a regular basis and don't watch shows like WIPEOUT. Apparently you have formed your opinion of him from the very people you don't trust to give you the news. His show is about him and what he thinks. He doesn't care what you or anyone eles thinks. He has been very up front about that from the begining. Lucky for him and his bank account many others feel the same way.

rufus and (deleted member) like this.
  20. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Why go there?