JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like in Washington she can possess a pistol in her domicile and when traveling between domiciles and/or fixed place of business. The RCW, however, doesn't cover how the pistol could be transferred to her. Obviously she is prohibited in Washington from purchasing, but I think a parent could gift the pistol.

Please see links below and note that I'm not a lawyer, a Washington resident, or according to my wife, particularly intelligent.

RCW 9.41.240

Possession of pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle by person from eighteen to twenty-one.​

(1) A person under twenty-one years of age may not purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle, and except as otherwise provided in this chapter, no person may sell or transfer a semiautomatic assault rifle to a person under twenty-one years of age.​
(2) Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:​
(a) In the person's place of abode;​
(b) At the person's fixed place of business; or​
(c) On real property under his or her control.​
(3) Except in the places and situations identified in RCW 9.41.042 (1) through (9) and 9.41.060 (1) through (10), a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a semiautomatic assault rifle only:​
(a) In the person's place of abode;​
(b) At the person's fixed place of business;​
(c) On real property under his or her control; or​
(d) For the specific purpose of (i) moving to a new place of abode; (ii) traveling between the person's place of abode and real property under his or her control; or (iii) selling or transferring the firearm in accordance with the requirements of this chapter; provided that in all of these situations the semiautomatic assault rifle is unloaded and either in secure gun storage or secured with a trigger lock or similar device that is designed to prevent the unauthorized use or discharge of the firearm.​
[ 2019 c 3 § 13 (Initiative Measure No. 1639, approved November 6, 2018); 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 423; 1971 c 34 § 1; 1909 c 249 § 308; 1883 p 67 § 1; RRS § 2560.]​

Rules for transfers to family members in Washington State: https://findleyattorneys.com/how-to-transfer-a-firearm-to-a-family-member-in-washington-state/

Whether as a college graduation present or a housewarming gift, the passing of a family heirloom down to the next generation or the transferring guns between family members for self-defense or hunting purposes is a common occurrence. Family gun transfers enjoy a special status under Washington State law that makes it much easier than a regular gun transfer or sale.​

The Good News: Family Gun Transfers Are Extremely Easy​

Ordinarily, to transfer or sell a firearm in Washington state, you must conduct the transaction through a federally licensed firearms dealer subject to the usual oversight requirements such as a background check.​
However, in Washington State, transferring guns between family members requires no paperwork or government approval. You can give a gun to another family member and be done with it. There's no paperwork, no paper trail, nothing -- How's that for efficiency?​
Okay, so it's not quite that simple. There are some important conditions:​

It Must Be a "Bona Fide Gift"

This means that you can't sell your gun to a family member, barter for it, or exchange it for services. It has to be purely a gift.​
If you're selling or trading a firearm with another family member in exchange for something, then the gun transfer must be carried out through the usual legal channels.​

Only "Immediate" Family Members Qualify

Washington law only allows unregulated family gun transfers between "immediate" family members. For this purpose, the law defines immediate family members as:​
  • Spouses and Domestic Partners
  • Children
  • Parents and Parents-in-Law
  • Siblings and Siblings-in-Law
  • Grandparents
  • Grandchildren
  • Nieces, Nephews, and First Cousins
  • Aunts and Uncles
For more distant family members, you'll have to go through the standard legal channels.​

The Recipient Must Be Allowed to Possess a Gun

Most importantly, however, a family gun transfer is illegal if the recipient is not permitted to possess a firearm. Many people have lost their firearm rights for one reason or another due to an old criminal conviction, a previously recorded mental health condition, documentable drug addiction, or any of several other fairly common occurrences.​
Before transferring a gun between family members, make sure the recipient is allowed to possess a firearm in the first place. If they cannot, consider speaking to a gun rights attorney about expunging their record and restoring their firearm rights in Washington state.​

To add to above, anyone eligible to buy a gun who is above 18, may purchase a shotgun of any type (No SBS obviously) or a manual action rifle (lever, bolt, etc) from an FFL in WA.

Under 21 you cannot purchase a handgun or semi automatic rifle.

For a non-prohibited person ("family member", note the law in your state).......NO PROBLEM.

Say it this way.....
I have given my 18 year old son many firearms (including pistols).

But......
Now that he is old enough.....he buys his own. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

She's moving out on her own. She knows how to handle a pistol. I am hoping she can store one in a small safe in her house for self protection. TIA.
A safe is a good idea when she is gone from home. When she is home it must not be in the safe. The Hornady Rapid safe is good and quick. Stay away from fingerprint safes. They are not good under stress and unreliable.

So F'en complicated thou shall not infringe sounds less complicated to me, F'en BS. 19 year olds are F'en dying for our country in Afghanistan right now and a 19 cant F'en buy a 22 rifle. The state we live in, it's un f'en believable can't wait to move because of stuff like this. Plus it's sooo complicated to tell if you're bricking the stupid laws….

Rant done

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top