JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From ATF.gov

Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?
Yes, unless the registered possessor is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4); 27 CFR 478.28]

Last Reviewed February 8, 2016

My understanding is that with a CAN you do NOT have to ask permission to travel with such crossing state lines. But ... it would be a good idea if the state you are crossing has no restrictions.

I do not know if the Firearm Protection Act includes NFA stuff. Remember, the BATFE can not make law. It can only regulate existing law. The 5320.20 permission slip is a stretch of law? Dunno.

Also it is my understanding that if you physically move within the County inside the State you do NOT have to notify the BATFE that you and your NFA stuff has relocated. They desire such only.

It might also actually be if you move within your State and not just the County. Not sure on this. Some help here please?

The BATFE has and will interpret Federal Law differently. An example would be multiple barrel lengths on your registered NFA Short Barrel Rifle Engraved Receiver. You can run many short barrels.

The real handful of worms is the regulation on the M2 Carbine. Lots of unknown areas. Lots of gray areas also. Yikes!! I am NOT a Lawyer. All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

The ATF purportedly told a club member "NO" when he recently asked them if he could take his suppressed .300 BO to Texas for hunting hogs.

WEIW

Just a question, was the suppressed .300 also an SBR? That's the only reason I could see for a blockage, but then it's an infringement to disallow a legally owned weapon for which special attention was paid and a tax of $200 for the privilege of exercising a right!:mad: that's Gooberment for ya! I would ask the ATF for an explanation of why, and then press forward with proceeings!

Just a question, was the suppressed .300 also an SBR? That's the only reason I could see for a blockage, but then it's an infringement to disallow a legally owned weapon for which special attention was paid and a tax of $200 for the privilege of exercising a right!:mad: that's Gooberment for ya! I would ask the ATF for an explanation of why, and then press forward with proceeings!

Yesser,

I'm gonna go meta and state that even though there may be difference of opinions and some levels of confusion; this thread or discussion is highly valuable!

:s0067:

Cans are cool. But if you think about it for a minute also highly over regulated. Mufflers for guns. Ya gotta have a muffler for your Harley but by law in many states you can NOT have a muffler for your gun. Very stupid.

If fact, let us flip this and demand that before you can get a muffler for your loud motorcycle you MUST by law be extraordinarily background checked by the FBI, beg permission from the BATFE and pay a big $200 tax.

THEN wait up to ONE YEAR for a special tax stamp permission slip to own and use that Harley muffler. But ... you need special permission to cross some State lines? You CAN NOT loan out your muffler to others at all?

WTF? Welcome to the stupidity and madness of the NFA. Welcome to the death squad equipped draconian BATFE. All for a gun muffler. A safety device for a Constitutionally Guaranteed right but there you have it.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. This is the usual legal declaration that CANS are legal to own and use in Oregon USA but only if you follow the specific silly, stupid and non logical rules. Yikes!

Form 5320.20 is for a interstate move with NFA item. I had to submit one of these for each of my suppressors when I had to move to Washington, then again when I moved back to Oregon. As far as visiting another state for a hunt etc, I wouldn't think you would have to submit a 5320.20 to the ATF because you are not moving either temporarily or permanently. But this is logical thinking in a world sorely lacking logical thinking, I may be incorrect.

You people need learn to read. Alex V posted it above straight from the ATF, and it's stated very plainly in the link from The Heretic. It states what items you need to fill out a 5320.20 for. Notice it DOES NOT include suppressors or AOWs.
You DO NOT need to fill out a 5320.20 for taking a suppressor across state lines.

You people need learn to read. Alex V posted it above straight from the ATF, and it's stated very plainly in the link from The Heretic. It states what items you need to fill out a 5320.20 for. Notice it DOES NOT include suppressors or AOWs.
You DO NOT need to fill out a 5320.20 for taking a suppressor across state lines.
Thanks. I did understand that my SBR requires a 5320.20 to cross state borders, and that the suppressors do not, and are subject to the state's laws on them. You all have answered my question. Thanks

Temporarily. Which is what I assumed the OP was referring to.

If you are moving - i.e., changing your residence, then you need to keep the ATF up to date on that, regardless.

But just traveling - no notice is required for suppressors, although they state that they would prefer it.

Form 5320.20 is for a interstate move with NFA item. I had to submit one of these for each of my suppressors when I had to move to Washington, then again when I moved back to Oregon. As far as visiting another state for a hunt etc, I wouldn't think you would have to submit a 5320.20 to the ATF because you are not moving either temporarily or permanently. But this is logical thinking in a world sorely lacking logical thinking, I may be incorrect.

You didnt have to do any of that. You can submit the form and they will approve the form even if they dont have to but there is zero requirement for AOW's and Silencers to have 5320.20 filed either for temporary transfer or permanent change of address.

Stupid question, if you are not supposed to fill out the form for silencers, but they "prefer you notify them" how the heck would you do that? Fill out and submit a form that they say not to use for silencers? Send them an email? Hit them up on Twitter? - f em. Government overreach at its finest.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top