Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can I shoot a Slug w/ a choke in my shotgun?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mattdomes, Mar 21, 2013.

1. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

Q: Can I shoot a slug w/ a choke in my shotgun?

Some more info:
    Binelli Nova w/ 26" barrel
    I plan on using a IC choke in the barrel
    I plan on using rifled slugs (Federal)
    This setup would be for running 3 Gun until I can afford a Binelli M2

I have searched the Binelli forums and they seem to think that its ok even up to a Modified choke. I was wondering if anyone here has real experience.

-Matt

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Portland Member

Should not be a problem, might want to see if Binelli makes a shorter barrel with rifle sights. 26" is a bit unwieldy.

3. Netspirit

Netspirit Bellevue, WA Active Member

Improved Cylinder is actually the preferred choke for shooting rifled slugs. It stabilizes the slug better than the open choke, resulting in greater accuracy.

Modern rifled slugs are made to support all chokes, even Full ones. The ribs on the slug, despite the common misconception, cannot impart any spin - they only exist to allow the slug to pass though tight chokes.

Having said that - I never shot a slug through a Full choke, and I do not think I ever will, I am just not comfortable with the idea. Anything up to Modified is fine.

4. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

Thanks guys, this really helps me not worry that I am going to blow the end out of my barrel or bugger up the chokes :thumbup:

5. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Medford Oregon Active Member

I have always wondered same question! Good info to know!

6. tahoe2

tahoe2 Seattle area, Washington state Member

I've hunted with a mossberg 500 in 20 ga with with a 26" smoothbore barrel and rifled "Remington" slug ammo (5/8 oz, I think), a few years back.
    Tested with an IC choke in, and put 3 shots into 5" @ 50 yards with gold bead sights, never did get an animal that year, but confident in the package I was using.
    That gun still busts clays and Grouse to this day with no problems, although with a Mod or Full choke in the tube.
    I have also heard that a mod choke is ok with slugs, but I was too scared to try it, and I was satisfied with the IC choked group.