JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like the title says. I'm cheap. I already have dies for 300 blackout, 7.62x39, and 30-30. Do I really need to get a seating die for 30-06? I was thinking I could just get away with just getting a 30-06 full length sizing die and using one of the other seaters.

Rodney

Technically it could be done but I believe the '06 case is larger around than the 30-30 so it might not enter the die. Also bullet alignment might be an issue even if the case would enter the die. You can probably find a used set of '06 dies for the price of a FL sizing die.

Like the title says. I'm cheap. I already have dies for 300 blackout, 7.62x39, and 30-30. Do I really need to get a seating die for 30-06? I was thinking I could just get away with just getting a 30-06 full length sizing die and using one of the other seaters.

Rodney
I don't recomend it but it will work and I have done it with 3006 and other calibers. Adjusting the die correctly is a must. I'm happy to loan you a 3006 seater any time.

Thanks guys. I did find a good 2 die short base rcbs set, so I'm not a cheap as I had hoped to be on this project. They went on sale at sportsmans and my wife said it was okay. I have to full length size anyway, because its for an M1 that I may be shooting high power with if my schedule allows. I've read that short base isn't needed for M1's as they have generous chambers? In any case, it should work all the same.

Rodney

Thanks guys. I did find a good 2 die short base rcbs set, so I'm not a cheap as I had hoped to be on this project. They went on sale at sportsmans and my wife said it was okay. I have to full length size anyway, because its for an M1 that I may be shooting high power with if my schedule allows. I've read that short base isn't needed for M1's as they have generous chambers? In any case, it should work all the same.

Rodney
What's a "2 die short base rcbs set"?

Would that be a set of 30-30 dies? there's "cheap" and then there's "efficient" when it comes to words. but anyway

From the sounds of it you've got some 30-06 dies, but I would note that the seating stem on a 30-30 seating die is likely for FN and RN and would mash the stuffing out of the tip of a spitzer in addition to not doing anything to help it seat straight.

Last Edited:
I actually have an insert for my RCBS 30-30 seating die that I stole out of my 300 Blackout RCBS seating die, so I could seat spitzer style FTX rounds for my 30-30 without squishing them. FTX rounds are a game changer for 30-30. Anyway, yes, I meant small base die set. Picked up a small base 30-06 RCBS set that was less expensive than normal. Now the real pickle. I thought I has some 30-06 brass... I was wrong; it's 270. So I'll have to find someone who wants to trade 270 for 30-06. I'll post it on the reloading ad board. I just kinda had to chuckle about when I pulled out my "06" brass I thought I had to discover my error in memory.

Rodney

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads