JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm hoping someone else here has been where I'm trying to go and can tell me how to raise the height of my stock 10/22 iron sights just 1/2", so they are easier to acquire visually through Weaver see-through scope mounts.

I was careful to buy raised rings that screw right onto the receiver, without that little mini-Weaver rail that comes with the rifle (and blocks the stock sights altogether). But even with the thinnest Weaver mounts made just for this application, only the upper tips of the rear and front sights are visible at the very bottom of the opening (on a bright day, facing east or west, in a good mood, after coffee).

If I could raise both sights 1/2", then they'd stick up far enough to be plainly visible through the scope mounts - and actually become useful again.

Note:
Tech-Sights and Williams make impressive looking peep sights, but both of their rear sights screw into the receiver - so no more scope.

Even 1/4" higher would work. Is there some kind of higher sight I'm not finding online? Maybe an adapter I can tap into the existing dovetail slots on the barrel? It's a fun rifle with a scope or iron sights, and I suspect I'll like it even more when I can use both - quickly - without all the eye crossing contortions it takes right now to find the bead.

Please email [email protected] with any solutions you might be aware of. Thanks in advance!

Just take the scope off?
Use a normal scope mount and rings?
Having your scope way up in the air not only is hard to get a good cheek weld, but it makes the bullets trajectory have a much smaller point blank range.

If you are persistant on having the lift kit for your scope, Brownells sells taller sights.

Maybe I should've explained that I want my raised scope AND iron sights, or perhaps I did. Tossing the scope or switching to a lower solid scope mount is exactly NOT what this thread is about. I use them both at different distances for different reasons.

Thanks for the Brownell's tips guys. Love those neon colors and I want them on my new sights, seriously. But as sexy as they are, I have to wonder if they're any taller than the stock sights that just don't stick up high enough.

Has anyone out there made the swap and found replacement iron sights for the 10/22 that are at least 1/4" higher than stock?

Maybe there's some adapter I can fit to raise them a bit? Thanks for ideas.

I have the exact same issue. I would like to use the rail mount that was provided with the gun but the rail blocks the open sights when installed (Dumb design Ruger). I am not currently using the rail mount and quick release, but instead I am using thinner see through see through scope rings (weaver). I set up the open sights for 50 yards and sight in the scope for 100 + yards.

I would really like to be able to take the scope off using the the rail mount with quick release, but I need taller sights.

Has anyone had any luck finding taller sights for 10/22 that fit in the factory slots? The 10/22® HIVIZ SIGHT SYSTEM looks like it may work, but there are no dimensions for this sight.

Trying hard to get some meaningful free advice in various places online, without much luck.

I'’d like to RAISE the stock iron sights on my 10/22. Front and rear, they need to be about 1/4 inch higher so they work with my see-through scope rings.

Either I’m asking this wrong, or people respond with alternate objectives, assuming I'll forget what I'm asking. Thus far, this is what I’ve been getting:

“Ditch the scope and rings”
- - My response: Ummmm... no.

“Don’t raise your sights, it changes the angle of the blah, blah, blah…”
- - My response: I know that. Really I do. I still want to raise my front and rear iron sights 1/4 inch.

“Buy different sights from Brownell’s.”
- - My response: I saw the same catalogs and websites you did. Are those sights any taller?

So back to my question. Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy front and rear iron sights that actually stick up 1/4" higher than the original Rugers?

Thanks in advance for whatever you suggest that may fit this specific application.

Please email [email protected], and I’ll also check back here now and then.

Last Edited:
Has anybody found a way to use the iron sights and scope on ruger 10 /22? I would prefer to not use a rail and use one single piece for scope mount but jus looking for anything that works. Every website yal listed above did not have higher factory sights, they all used the holes provided that the scope mount would use. If yal have figured it out email me at [email protected]

Didn't you address this same problem in 2010?

Try looking up Ruger 96/22 sights, they are suppose to be taller then 10.22 sights, but will fit.

Last Edited:
Didn't you address this same problem in 2010?

Try looking up Ruger 96/22 sights, they are suppose to be taller then 10.22 sights, but will fit.

Yessir, I did. Didn't know at the time how to upload images to this site - do now.

In Pic 1, note the see-through scope mounts. The floors of those little tunnels you peer through were just thick enough on the bottoms to obscure the low stock sights.

Pic 2, I never found an actual replacement part, so I ended up laying a bright silver 18 gauge air gun nail lengthwise on the front sight blade, shiny round head facing back to the shooter, very visible. Raised the rear sight (not even all the way up) to match that. So now I can see my iron sights through the mount for close range targets, or raise my eye an inch to use the scope zeroed on a longer distance.

1022 receiver.JPG 1022 sights.JPG

Last Edited:
We/I have tried many different and expensive combinations enabling the use of Nodak Spud irons along with see through mounts sosss the various scopes could be used No success. Until some manufacture comes up with a balanced overall package of both irons, mounts and scope perhaps there is no solution.

No matter how low we tried to get the Leopold 1x4x20 scope, the finished product had the scope too high. The see through mounts did not work perfectly and the whole ensemble looked dorky. Larger aperture scopes like red dot types looked even worse. We did not employ the Ruger 10-22 OEM iron sites. Yikes!!

Milling or filing out a trough (even a super shallow one) would remove the metal where the mounting screws go through each base.

Finally figured something out that works for me. I must've made 2 threads. Here's my solution in the other one on this topic.

------------------------------------------------------

Edit 01-12-17, looks like the two threads on this topic have now been merged so I pulled the link to the other one. See my pics above in #15. Thanks NWFA moderators.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads