JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So here is the deal, I have not hunted in years, well since I had shoulder surgery. I had a browning 300 win mag and it tore the bubblegum out of me. I am not a fan of mule deer, I think they taste like dog bubblegum. I may do some black tail around enumclaw or something, but my main goal is to go elk hunting. I applied for a disability permit that allows me a few advantages, like hunting from my quad, and getting me a key for the gates on Talbot and pope and Weyerhaeuser properties. I can not be climbing all over the place and the permit allowing me to use my quad is a god send.

Anyways, I want something light, something that will not kill me to sight in after 20 or so rounds. Will a 150gr, barnes .270 bullet do the trick? Inquiring minds want to know.

My cousin hunts everything from Deer to Elk to Moose and everything in between with his .270. He even got his Ram this year with it at over 450yds.

the 270 is a fine elk cartridge. feed it a good controlled expansion bullet for an elk, (as you are suggesting) and you are good to go. My $.02

And it could be if something happens to my primary hunting rifle. I would use the .270 without a second thought. If I was doing it right now, I'd probably even use the 150gr Core Lokt. We've killed many things with that bullet. If I had time to work up a hand load, I would use a Nosler Partition. But that's just me. You wanna use a Barnes bullet? They make great bullets and you'll be fine.
I'm a 30-06 fan, but I'd think I'd look pretty ignorant if I said you wouldn't do well with a .270.

I have seen people droping a branched resvelt at coast range with a 243, however the other side of the cascade because of the harsh winters elks are much tougher and you need a biger punch than a 270 with a 150gr even for a spike.

I have seen people droping a branched resvelt at coast range with a 243, however the other side of the cascade because of the harsh winters elks are much tougher and you need a biger punch than a 270 with a 150gr even for a spike.

I think you got that backwards. Coast range Roosevelt's are larger bodied and considerably tougher (hide) than their smaller bodied rocky mountain cousins. I shot a coastal spike last year with 150 Winchester supremes and the it stopped just inside the hbide on the far side. I shot a cow of similar body size last week with the same bullets and they went clean through. Almost identical shot placement and distance to animal.
Food for thought. I know for a fact that a. 270 can take both versions of elk.

it isnot the size ,it is the hide, the rocky mt elk has a thicker hide because of the snow
Sorry bud, but your story that a .270 won't kill a rocky is a load.
You could ask the many that have ended up in my family's various freezers over the years, but they're gone now.
Many many elk fell to our .270s using 4831 and 150gr Sierra SPBTs and Gamekings, which aren't even considered a premium bullet. A few of those beyond 300yds.

To the OP,... Load that .270 up and go get-em!
Be sure and post the pics when you get back!

`Yep I have a buddy that has killed close to 30 elk with his all coastal bulls and he was using a 130 Honrady hand loads now he is using 140 Accubonds. When I give up the bow I will be using my 270 and it will either be a 130 grain partition or a 150.

Its all about shot placement hit in the boiler and grab the packs.:D

Well, it seems that I will end up with a .270 for the comments. My friend who was going to go with me just said he is going to Montana for deer, and no elk this year.:( Not sure where to go. I went to Rosyln before, but never took one down.

Me and my family have successfully hunted everything from Alaskan brown bear to whitetail deer with them.A .270 w/ a good handload is by far and away my #1 all around choice for hunting

You make shot placement sound and look easy, but in the real world %85 of time we dont have the time to do it so to shoot a rocky mt elk beyond 250yd i know we need a much bigger round so if in case if you shoot the poor animal in the hind quarter it knoks him down and you can retrive your trophy

.270 will do the job fine. Smallest caliber I ever used to kill an elk was a 22lr, but it had already been hit by some tourist in a rental car and a leg had been ripped off.

I see this different because some one is shooting a magnumb they think they can do get away with sloppy :s0154:shots. A bad shot with a 30 caliber or a .27 caliber is still a bad shot.

You make shot placement sound and look easy, but in the real world %85 of time we dont have the time to do it so to shoot a rocky mt elk beyond 250yd i know we need a much bigger round so if in case if you shoot the poor animal in the hind quarter it knoks him down and you can retrive your trophy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top