JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yes, I can :D. Got the call from my FFL yesterday morning, my BGC was approved, amazing in itself, I only did the paperwork last Saturday. Was actually able to get away to pick it up, and since I can drive almost right past my range by taking an alternate route home, I also got to stop and run a box of shells through it. Was really sorry I only took one box of shells!

So the new to me pistol is a Tanfoglio Witness Full Size Steel in 10mm with the Wonder Finish. Only ammo I had was Federal AE 180 gr. FMJ, 1050 FPS (?). With this ammo, recoil was quite mild, on par with .45 ACP target loads. The gun is quite heavy, 41.9 oz. with an empty mag per my kitchen scale, so I'm sure that helped. It's also quite flat shooting, I've never been very good at double taps, but this thing was making it easy. Again, heavy gun with a definite bias toward the muzzle. SA trigger is quite good, I could be quite happy with it as is. DA is another story, long, heavy, and with a definite catch when it gets to the half-cock notch. Have a few new parts to install, but I expect some significant trigger improvement just by doing some serious internal polishing, my project for the next couple of evenings. Not crazy about the grips, they're hard plastic and don't have much grip, nor do they fit my hand very well. Would prefer rubber grips, but no joy, may have to go for a set of LOK palm swell G10's. And now I need to start searching for a holster, too, just one of the challenges to owning a gun that's not exactly main stream. All that aside, I can't wait to shoot it again, there's just something about the way this thing feels when shooting it that's just right. Maybe it's just the new gun honeymoon, but I think I may have a new favorite pistol. More later ;).

Dave

I have a CZ SP01 in .40 and a Tanfoglio elite limited in 9mm. The CZ is a great gun and I probably shoot it better than any of my hand guns except the Tanfoglio. The Tanfo is far supreme as far as the trigger goes. The single action trigger is different than other single action handguns triggers, but easy to get used to. I think, a real contributor to it's accuracy is the polygonal barrel too.

Welcome to the club! I've had mine almost a year and still have yet to shoot it..
Yes I am ashamed of myself:(
7FD4AD7C-B7EC-4B82-82CD-FFCBF6B95DB5.jpeg 889CE35C-32F6-4CD9-ACA5-A5DF94EB383D.jpeg

If or when you start to shoot full house 10mm (180gr bullet MV 1250-1300 fps) and it feels like the slide is hammering the frame and the brass is landing in the next county you'll want to go to a heavier recoil spring generally in the 22 lb range. Congratulations on the Witness they are good guns and 10mm is an awesome cartridge. I sure like my Sig 10mm.

Thanks, guys. Started the internal polish job a couple nights ago, just taking my time and enjoying getting familiar with the new shooter. I had a 90's vintage 9mm Witness awhile back, nice shooter, but Tanfo has definitely upped their game in the fit and finish department. In fact, they might even have a slight edge over CZ, the finish on all the internal parts is really good. Will have it back together tonight, although I have no idea when I'll be able to shoot it next :(. I think I've solved my issues with the grips, at least for now, I had one of those grip sleeves I'd gotten for another gun but didn't use, it's not perfect, but it'll do for now. Also tested trigger pull before tearing it down, SA was just over 5 lbs. but felt lighter, DA is somewhere over 12 lbs., I'm hoping the polish and some lighter springs will get it down within range of my pull gauge :rolleyes:.

@Mygrainman, thanks for posting pics of my pistol :D. Yup, looks just like mine, only without the WML. Man, do yourself a favor and go shoot that thing! Although I get how a new shooter can go unshot for a long time, I have 2 rimfire Savage rifles I've had for over a month now, and haven't been able to shoot. And if the range hadn't be pretty much on the way, I'd probably not have shot the Witness yet, either.

@oremike, I've already got the Wolff recoil spring kit, they'll go in my range bag for testing at the range. I also have one of the Henning brass buffers, came with the gun, but I'm not a fan of buffers so probably won't use it. Looking forward to some full power loads, I already have a box of 180 gr. XTP's, and a pound of Blue Dot, will work on loads when I'm finished with the pistol :cool:. Got any load recommendations? Anyway, will post more once I've got it back together. Later.

Dave

Quick update. The polish job has it slicker than dog poo on a wet lawn, that and changing out a couple springs has trigger pull weights at 4.5 lbs. SA and 10 lbs. DA :cool:. Got a batch of test ammo loaded yesterday, now to figure out how to get a range session on the schedule :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads