Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can I get a wireless phone and cancel my landline? How fast?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bigfoot, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

I have two problems, this 5 year old basic cell phone and a $80 monthly bill for a landline that I only use for DSL internet service. I'm paying over $100 a month combined for DSL at home and a non-internet cell phone, ridicules.

I'd like to go completely wireless and have the internet on my phone for when I'm away and a modem at home for my desktop and laptop.

How fast is a wireless connection? DSL fast? I'm on the net a lot and I hate slow speeds. I'm currently with AT&T for my cell and the signal is good in my house so I must have a tower nearby.

I'm at loss about 3G, 4G and 5G. Different speeds I assume, anything other than that?

Who's a good (fast) wireless provider, assuming my property is in their coverage.

Yes I'm behind the times but I'm trying to catch up. I want to understand the language before I contact a provider.

2. mosinguy

mosinguy by the ocean Member

ok i live in the middle of nowhere and we use prepaid verizone phones and hot spot the hot spot is fairly fast we only get 3g where we live but when go places and take it with us we get 4g there is a slightly noticable diffrence in speed... the only problem with the hot spot is how much you download that is what will determine your cost per mnth

3. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

We did this a few years ago....ditched Qwest phone and DSL and went cell only. For internet tried Clear....faster than the DSL is and enough to stream netflix and hulu, but it ain't cable....just recently ditched Dish and bought an HD antenna...went from $70 a month to $16 between Netflix and Hulu+. Kids didn't even notice.

So now, we have our phones ( full data package ), 'Net ( Clear ), and Streaming services...spending half of what we were three years ago.

4. Bigfoot

I just tested my connection and it's under 3 mbps. From what I understand a 3G would be about that. Is your 3G connection at home fast enough for you?

5. Bigfoot

Looks like I'm out of Clears coverage. T Mobile puts me in 2G. AT&T says I'm in 4G range, sounds good. Any other providers to check?

So all I need to do is contact AT&T or somebody else, get their Hot Spot devise for the home and their internet phone. I have a Directv dish for the TVs.

Sounds easy enough.

Does anybody's wireless internet slow down when it's raining?

Thanks

6. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Coverage wise, it's hard to beat AT&T ( and this is coming from a T-mobile customer )...we've been at family camp outs in BFE and the relatives with AT&T were streaming vids where we had no service.

7. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I am thinking of doing this also - but I know nothing about it other messing around with a co-workers on his tablet. Can you give me a brief tutorial of the hotspot system?

8. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi Bigfoot,
    I use Cricket for phone and internet. Cost is $55.00 per month Internet and $35.00 per month Cell phone. Verizon sells to Cricket which
    the company uses Verizon tower. With Cricket you get free calls all 48 state no long distance. Also Unlimiting Texting, But no internet.
    You can change over in less then one hour.
    Hope this will help,
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area