JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I drive commercial vehicles in OR only. I have my conceal carry licenses but have been told I can't have a firearm in a commercial vehicle. Is this true? The owner of the company I work for doesn't care either way.

The ONLY restrictions on carrying in a commercial vehicle might be those of your employer or those of the facilities you enter. No other restrictions exist.

edit/addition
Please also follow all applicable state and federal laws, but that should go without saying.

Last Edited:
I would suggest reading Oregon Revised Statutes section 166:
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

And...ORS commercial vehicle and license statues...
or talk with a lawyer.

That was a lot of reading.......I couldn't find anything about cdl's in there though it did mention place of business.

I thought that when you applied for and received a cdl, you agreed to be bound by dot regs - which are federal ( carried out in each state as a state agency obviously) though a lot of states have laws saying it is their power to determine firearm laws which would contradict right?

DOT doesn't have the authority to regulate firearms, even if they'd like too (which government agency doesn't?).

Unless your employer says no guns, and you're not going to make interstate runs into states which don't recognize your permit (or you don't have a permit for) - carry if you like. Do you have any idea how many OTR truckers have guns in their cabs? I can't think of more than a handful I've met that *don't* have one or more in the cab w/ them.

If you do a google search for comercial trucks concealed carry you will see this is a very heated debate. There is a prominant belief that you can not CC in a CMV; however, I've never see anyone actually cite a law that prevents it; therefore I believe it is a myth (YMMV). If you are legal to carry in the state you are driving in then being in a CMV doesn't change that.

That was a lot of reading.......I couldn't find anything about cdl's in there though it did mention place of business.

I thought that when you applied for and received a cdl, you agreed to be bound by dot regs - which are federal ( carried out in each state as a state agency obviously) though a lot of states have laws saying it is their power to determine firearm laws which would contradict right?
Yeah...it is a lot of reading, which I am sure is why lawyers charge what they do....can you imagine reading nothing but that sort of thing for a living, day in day out?

But...if it isn't in there, it isn't in there.

So here's the thing: Why would anyone take the word of some unknown entity on the internet over something that might be hugely serious? Waldo, man I'm sorry to bust on you but seriously, this is something you need to satisfy for yourself... taking the word of someone you haven't paid and who isn't licensed to give legal advice, over something that could have such incredible ramifications to you and your livelihood is a very risky prospect.

If you do a google search for comercial trucks concealed carry you will see this is a very heated debate. There is a prominant belief that you can not CC in a CMV; however, I've never see anyone actually cite a law that prevents it; therefore I believe it is a myth (YMMV). If you are legal to carry in the state you are driving in then being in a CMV doesn't change that.

Maybe I was wrong, I did some searching and couldn't find anything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top