Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

can I carry without cwp?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by tlfreek, Jan 4, 2011.

1. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

i am in sunriver on vacation and often fly fish by myself in the middle of no where. in those situations can I carry a concealed firearm? l do plan on getting my cwp, but before I get it, I was curious if I can do this legally.

thanks in advance.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Not sure where Sunriver is but in MOST of OR open carry is 100% legal.

Me and the GF had to do it last year when we rode the motorcycles and went to Crater Lake.

3. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Unlicensed concealed carry is always illegal in OR. Unlicensed open carry is *mostly* legal.

Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. You cannot open carry without a license in these places.

4. ConditionOrange

ConditionOrange Oregon Member

Just my 2 cents, but if you're in the middle of nowhere you really don't need to carry concealed. If you're just wanting to do it to keep anyone who might happen by knowing you're armed, I would still get a CCW. I would think there are still Rangers or Wardens who patrol those areas and it could get you into trouble. I don't believe just being in the woods excuses you from needing a permit.

5. tlfreek

got it - thanks guys this is what I needed to know.

6. chris61182

chris61182 A little west of Portland Active Member

I think the law of interest is...
    166.260 (3)(b)
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

7. tlfreek

so i am licensed fisherman - can I carry concealed?

( b ) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

8. Beefcake

Beefcake Portland Active Member

Yes, a licensed fisherman or hunter can carry a concealed firearm while in the field. The part that I've heard can be a gray area is the "going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition." I'm not a lawyer, so this is simply opinion based on my research, but you should be fine as long as you aren't running other errands on the way home while armed.

9. chris61182

Like Beefcake said, there's still some grey area; is stopping to get gas, bait, or lunch still "going to or returning from"? IDK!

10. nubus

nubus Guest

So if I'm a WA resident all I gotta do is buy a license and say I'm going fishing?

I love it! :laugh:

11. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well since we are discussing an OREGON LAW and how it effects someone in OREGON

I wouldn't bet your cookie on doing it in WASHINGTON THE STATE NORTH OF THE COLUMBIA RIVER

Oregon is South of the Columbia (basically)

12. chris61182

I thought Washington's law was even more generous than the Oregon one, something along the lines of "partaking in an outdoor activity."

13. tlfreek

friggin hater -

that's all you ever do anyways.

14. SVT-ROY

SVT-ROY Tigard Resident Beretta guru

I have always loved this loophole, but I would never abuse it. I'm from California and I appreciate owning the weapons I do.

I did a pistol trade at tcgc, we were leaving and I stated I better put this in the trunk. The gentleman said I could put it under my seat since I was coming from the shooting range. Anyone heard this to be true.

15. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

follow due process, get the CCP, (youre already on a list). the CCP offers some legal protection in crertain situations.
    nervous? buy a shovel@!

16. Binder

Binder Everett New Member

Correct. Same thing in Washington....

17. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Wrong!
    The Op's question is about concealed carry while fishing.
    As long as poles, creel, tacklebox etc. are in evidence I wouldn't worry about it.
    Go ahead and Carry. I do and have for years. Even when the LEOs check license/tag info, they have never questioned how or why I am carrying.
    I don't carry when I am salt water fishing, but that has more to do with salt water corrosion than legalities.
    EDIT: As long as the OP isn't a convicted felon, or hasn't been committed for mental issues.

18. tlfreek

ha ha ha - not a felon nor committed to a mental institution. good point tho.

19. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Get your CHL and you won't have to worry about it. Until then, notwithstanding what the statute states, after fishing I would disarm and put the hand gun in a legal place in the vehicle before driving through town.
    Just saying, I would not push my luck in Portland. The legal fees to fight it are not worth it. IMHO.