JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am in sunriver on vacation and often fly fish by myself in the middle of no where. in those situations can I carry a concealed firearm? l do plan on getting my cwp, but before I get it, I was curious if I can do this legally.

thanks in advance.

Not sure where Sunriver is but in MOST of OR open carry is 100% legal.

Me and the GF had to do it last year when we rode the motorcycles and went to Crater Lake.

Unlicensed concealed carry is always illegal in OR. Unlicensed open carry is *mostly* legal.

Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. You cannot open carry without a license in these places.

Just my 2 cents, but if you're in the middle of nowhere you really don't need to carry concealed. If you're just wanting to do it to keep anyone who might happen by knowing you're armed, I would still get a CCW. I would think there are still Rangers or Wardens who patrol those areas and it could get you into trouble. I don't believe just being in the woods excuses you from needing a permit.

I think the law of interest is...
166.260 (3)(b)
166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250.
(3) Except for persons who are otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under ORS 166.250 (1)(c) or 166.270, ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:
( b ) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

so i am licensed fisherman - can I carry concealed?

( b ) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

Yes, a licensed fisherman or hunter can carry a concealed firearm while in the field. The part that I've heard can be a gray area is the "going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition." I'm not a lawyer, so this is simply opinion based on my research, but you should be fine as long as you aren't running other errands on the way home while armed.

So if I'm a WA resident all I gotta do is buy a license and say I'm going fishing?

I love it! :s0114:

Well since we are discussing an OREGON LAW and how it effects someone in OREGON

I wouldn't bet your cookie on doing it in WASHINGTON THE STATE NORTH OF THE COLUMBIA RIVER

Oregon is South of the Columbia (basically)

so i am licensed fisherman - can I carry concealed?

I have always loved this loophole, but I would never abuse it. I'm from California and I appreciate owning the weapons I do.

I did a pistol trade at tcgc, we were leaving and I stated I better put this in the trunk. The gentleman said I could put it under my seat since I was coming from the shooting range. Anyone heard this to be true.

Unlicensed concealed carry is always illegal in OR.
Wrong!
The Op's question is about concealed carry while fishing.
166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle;
166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. (1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:

(a) Sheriffs, constables, marshals, parole and probation officers, police officers, whether active or honorably retired, or other duly appointed peace officers.

(b) Any person summoned by any such officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while said person so summoned is actually engaged in assisting the officer.

(c) The possession or transportation by any merchant of unloaded firearms as merchandise.

(d) Active or reserve members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard or Marine Corps of the United States, or of the National Guard, when on duty.

(e) Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons described in ORS 166.250 from the United States, or from this state.

(f) Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or the members thereof when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.

(g) A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.

(h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

(2) It is an affirmative defense to a charge of violating ORS 166.250 (1)(c)(C) that the person has been granted relief from the disability under ORS 166.274.

(3) Except for persons who are otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under ORS 166.250 (1)(c) or 166.270, ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:

(a) Members of any club or organization, for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets upon the established target ranges, whether public or private, while such members are using any of the firearms referred to in ORS 166.250 upon such target ranges, or while going to and from such ranges.

(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

As long as poles, creel, tacklebox etc. are in evidence I wouldn't worry about it.
Go ahead and Carry. I do and have for years. Even when the LEOs check license/tag info, they have never questioned how or why I am carrying.
I don't carry when I am salt water fishing, but that has more to do with salt water corrosion than legalities.
EDIT: As long as the OP isn't a convicted felon, or hasn't been committed for mental issues.

Get your CHL and you won't have to worry about it. Until then, notwithstanding what the statute states, after fishing I would disarm and put the hand gun in a legal place in the vehicle before driving through town.
Just saying, I would not push my luck in Portland. The legal fees to fight it are not worth it. IMHO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top