can i carry a concealed weapon in bars?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by gjk86, Dec 10, 2010.

1. eriknemily

eriknemily
    Tillamook County (Cheese!)

I agree. However I've carried every time I've gone to a bar/pub.... which amounts to three times. I don't drink and I don't like overpriced food :D

2. mjbskwim

mjbskwim
    Salmon,Idaho
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I quit going to bars,but even if it was legal in Washington,that would be the last place I would carry.

Your risk of using it goes way up and it seems your defense would suffer terribly.

Look at all the drunk driving demonstration videos show you.The ones that a police department do to show you how impaired you really are?

Your judgment,sight,reactions,equilibrium,everything is way off from just a couple drinks.
    And you want to have a gun then?
    Plus there is always someone who needs shooting in a bar.Look at the old westerns

Or do you mean to just go have lunch?

3. gjk86

gjk86
    jefferson or

I basically am just curious whats legal and whats not if i am going to be having more then a beer i would prefer to not bring a firearm, but i didnt want to bring one at all even for lunch until i knew it was legal

4. korntera

korntera
    Oregon

Carrying a gun is the same as operating a car(deadly vehicle) If you are over .08 it is illegal to carry. Dont' quote me on this but it makes sense and i have heard it repeated time and time again so i hope i am not passing on a myth here.

5. gjk86

gjk86
    jefferson or

hmmm now im curious if thats a law, can anyone else confirm that?

6. kaoboi503

kaoboi503
    Gresham, OR

I remember reading that it was illegal to carry a firearm while intoxicated. I also remember that it didn't state BAC's or anything of the like (strictly an "if I recall correctly" statement).

7. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie
    sowfeast poetland, ohraygun

+1 , I don't drink if I'm out at a bar with friends. Well, not alcohol, but I pack away the Arnie Palmers (mmm lemonade n' iced tea). And even at home I don't go beyond the occasional single drink since I just don't wanna mess up my judgement... being Irish it's the law to have a weekly hot whiskey at home during the winter, for, yknow, medicinal purposes :D

8. Artilleryman

Artilleryman
    Originally from the central midwest but have reloc

I can't cite any legal document references, but....you can be prosecuted for dui even under .08. I've seen situations where people were nailed for as low as .04. The .08 is strictly for the DMV side of the problem, law enforcement will happily nail somebody for dui no matter how low the bac is. as for firearms, I don't know, but would suspect any amount of alcohol will go badly for someone carrying.

9. Martini_Up

Martini_Up
    NW USA

Lets not forget, bearing arms is a RIGHT, driving in a privilege. Because I'm lit to the gills doesn't take away my right unless I do something stupid and get prosecuted for that something stupid then the sentence for the crime states I have to forfeit a right. Being lit to the gills isn't against the law all by its self nor is being lit and carrying. Now if you're lit while walking in a public place, which in some places is against the law, then you may be in trouble for carrying while breaking that law.

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  10. laney1566

laney1566
    Wood Village Oregon

The way I understand Drinking and CHL's is if you have a traceable amount of alcohol in your system, the the permit is no longer valid and you are carrying illegally.

11. Nwcid

Nwcid
    Yakima and N of Spokane

WHERE does it say that?

I have never seen that law.......

12. laney1566

laney1566
    Wood Village Oregon

After checking with the Oregon Firearms Federation, I have discovered that the Reserve deputy that instructed me had to either be lying or was mistaken.
    Seems there is no such law.

Convinces me that when it comes to private carry laws....Many LEO's have it wrong. Problem is if they think they are right, then we have problems even if we are in the right.:(

13. oasis618

oasis618
    Tacoma, Wa

I didn't know that you could carry in bars in Oregon. I learned something today, thanks guys.

14. Hawaiian

Hawaiian
    Tigard Oregon

Forget about legal/illegal for a moment. Guns and alcohol don't mix. We have all done stupid things after drinking too much. You don't want that stupid thing to involve a firearm. I like to drink; however, the gun comes off and gets put away first.

15. eriknemily

eriknemily
    Tillamook County (Cheese!)

Not me. I've never had too much booze to drink. I'd much rather have all my faculties in tip top shape before I do something stupid :bluelaugh:

16. CanCanCase

CanCanCase
    Southern Oregon Coast

Good thread despite the age...
    As one who was raised in the family bar Biz, and having seen both sides of the alcohol equation (it can destroy people and also fund expensive college educations!) this topic has been of interest since I began cc'ing.

Do remember there are many legit reasons for entering a bar or bubblegum besides consuming alcohol... the aforementioned lunch, repairing the washing machines in the laundry room at the back of the bar, pool league night, meeting with the local business association...just to name a few.

Personally, I choose to plead ignorant if it's not posted at the door - don't ask, don't tell! Then again, I'm about to enter a family friend and neighbor's bar, so I suppose I'll do him the courtesy of asking if their family has a preference or house policy.