JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not to hijack but just out of curiosity...if I buy a weapon here in Oregon and didn't want to go through the rigamarole of travel with it...could I ship it to an FFL in Alaska for safe keeping until I get there and then pick it up, sans BG check?

Not to hijack but just out of curiosity...if I buy a weapon here in Oregon and didn't want to go through the rigamarole of travel with it...could I ship it to an FFL in Alaska for safe keeping until I get there and then pick it up, sans BG check?
There is a legal way to ship a firearm to yourself without a ffl. Google for details and services.

It's not much rigmarole to travel with firearms, less IMO than shipping to yourself or trying to buy (illegal through a FFL out of home state for handguns)

The more you do it the more versed you become and thus more comfortable in doing so.

It's not much rigmarole to travel with firearms, less IMO than shipping to yourself or trying to buy (illegal through a FFL out of home state for handguns)

The more you do it the more versed you become and thus more comfortable in doing so.
I agree, it's not that much of an issue to travel with a firearm … there are a lot of discussions on the subject here. In reality just plan on arriving 30 - 45 minutes earlier than normal to the airport just in case there is a slow down in the process.

Save yourself the cost of shipping / insurance and the hassle of packing and delivering to the PO your package.

My son travels by air with a gun frequently, each airline has slightly different rules, but they all are within TSA guidelines so you should know that airlines rules and TSA' they are on the Websites for those carriers and TSA.
I hate the airlines so I drive. I would have to take the ferry to Alaska. Expensive.

It isn't clear if he is flying or driving. Driving would involve travel through Canada which is problematic and shipping to yourself would make sense.

It isn't clear if he is flying or driving. Driving would involve travel through Canada which is problematic and shipping to yourself would make sense.

The last I heard one cannot bring a handgun to Canada and they will take it from you at the border and store it until you come back.

The last I heard one cannot bring a handgun to Canada and they will take it from you at the border and store it until you come back.
Guns and Canada, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

www.adfg.alaska.gov › ... › News & Events › Alaska Fish and Wildlife News

A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport permit must be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. The permit allows a handgun to be in transit, for example to Alaska, but a permit would not be issued to someone simply vacationing in Canada.

That's good to know if you are going through, they'll permit it. The friend of the family that had his piece, temporarily, taken by their authorities was vacating, so that might explain it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top