JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good on you for taking this extra step ignored by many.
I have known about this for a while but recently with some scope swaps I have decided to lap the rings on a few rifles of my own.
First i need to scrounge a section of 1" shaft stock so I can make a lapping tool!

The type of stock you need for straightness may cost nearly as much as the kit unless you happen to score a remnant. Here is a great value right here.

I have lapping bars from Brownells and paid way more then the wheeler ones on Amazon. I bought a 35mm Wheeler kit for like $30 bucks or something like that and it works every bit as good as the ones I paid double for.

Kudos on taking this step that for some odd reason is so controversial lol I've never seen so many people get all flustered over something as simple as lapping. We do it in our shop on every scope mount and unless the customer has ultra high end rings I always notice a considerable difference. Some people don't like to do it, or are strongly against it and that's fine too, to each their own.

I have known about this for a while but recently with some scope swaps I have decided to lap the rings on a few rifles of my own.
First i need to scrounge a section of 1" shaft stock so I can make a lapping tool!
Seems one should be able to find a scrap piece of shaft stock from a local machine shop. Our machine shop use to have lots of that stuff in various dimensions laying around

Yea I have yet to look around.
I can buy a section of shaft stock fairly reasonably online as well.
I could probably use a section of cold roll but i would have to 'mike' it first to see if it is a true 1".

The minuscule misalignment can be overcome with a windage/elevation adjustment.
I agree however I have long wondered about the slight stress on scopes I have mounted when it has 'felt' as though the rings and scope tube were not 'perfectly' in alignment - and when screwing them down snugly and a few minutes later the screws can be given another turn.

Typically I have NEVER experienced any accuracy problems with scopes I have had on any rifles - until recently with the debacle on my Ruger PCC and the three different scopes and two sets of mounts.

This got me to thinking about at a minimum lapping the mounts on it and seeing if it has any effect.

And yep - some of us like to tinker!

If your rings need to be lapped.... then you should get better rings.

Buying high quality rings and mounting scope without even checking for alignment is a leap of faith. Higher quality rings are usually better but often the tolerance stacking with the tapped holes in the receiver makes the alignment of 2 piece rings problematic. Mounting a scope in tension due to misalignment is not a recipe for precision shooting. If you don't give a shoot, have the knucklehead at Cabelas mount your scope in whatever rings are cheapest. If you are more than just a casual shooter, it pays to have the proper tools and do it right the first time. Properly lapped/aligned rings in most cases will eliminate the need for locktite. As always ymmv.

I agree however I have long wondered about the slight stress on scopes I have mounted when it has 'felt' as though the rings and scope tube were not 'perfectly' in alignment - and when screwing them down snugly and a few minutes later the screws can be given another turn.

Typically I have NEVER experienced any accuracy problems with scopes I have had on any rifles - until recently with the debacle on my Ruger PCC and the three different scopes and two sets of mounts.

This got me to thinking about at a minimum lapping the mounts on it and seeing if it has any effect.

And yep - some of us like to tinker!

Are you mounting this on a pic rail or using the factory Ruger rings set up?
I doubt you would see any accuracy gains on your PCC by lapping your rings, but you could make the situation worse quite easily.

Buying high quality rings and mounting scope without even checking for alignment is a leap of faith. Higher quality rings are usually better but often the tolerance stacking with the tapped holes in the receiver makes the alignment of 2 piece rings problematic. Mounting a scope in tension due to misalignment is not a recipe for precision shooting. If you don't give a shoot, have the knucklehead at Cabelas mount your scope in whatever rings are cheapest. If you are more than just a casual shooter, it pays to have the proper tools and do it right the first time. Properly lapped/aligned rings in most cases will eliminate the need for locktite. As always ymmv.

Absolutely more than just a casual shooter here for sure. Shoot in long range matches every month where precision is a must. Shooting out to a mile and then dialing back down to engage targets at 200, 600, and 1000 yards requires good if not the best equipment available. No Cabela's knucklehead touches any of my rifles or optics!

Just saying that properly lapping your rings is not a skill set most people have without the proper training. More harm than good can come from trying to do this at your kitchen table because you got a deal on a scope lapping kit on Amazon.

With today's manufacturing tolerances being as tight as they are, if you need to lap your rings, then some part of the mounting system may be out of specification and need to be replaced.

If lapping your rings works for you and gives you confidence in your system, then excellent, job well done! I certainly do not advocate this practice for everyone!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top