Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can i be an unpaid apprentice to a gunsmith in order to learn the trade?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by joeshmo, May 16, 2012.

1. joeshmo

joeshmo eugene oregon Member

i really like workin on my guns and im just curious if something like that is available, it would be cool to have the knowledge to work/build guns and maybe later make some money

2. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

It's not called "unpaid apprentice", it is called "volunteer work". If you can find someone that will let you volunteer your time. Before I was 16 I used to hang out, and help, at a nascar build shop, when I turned 16 they offered me a paid job. (that was early '60s)

3. Jammer Six

Jammer Six North Greenlake, Seattle New Member

That sounds like an insurance problem to me, on at least three counts-- if a weapon you "work" on malfunctions, if you hurt yourself, or if you hurt someone else. Not to mention buggering up a customer's weapon beyond repair.

So I would answer that there's a professional apprentice, and nothing else.

I know for a fact that I wouldn't try to teach my trade to an amateur. There's just too much risk.

Besides, amateurs are more likely to quit when it rains. Or when the sun comes out. Or when the fish are biting. Or whatever.

And finally, you can order a pro to sweep the floor, and then beat them for not getting it clean. If you did that with an amateur, you'd have to feel all guilty.

4. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

5. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Are there junior colleges in your area that offer gunsmithing?

6. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

The closest one that has a program that's one of the top in the nation, isn't too far away...and they offer summer 1-2 week classes.

Check out Lassen Comm. Coll, in Susanville Ca.

7. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member